Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

05 v engine dies while driving help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 03:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 v engine dies while driving help!

So basically the car is cutting out intermittently. No rhyme or reason. I haven't had a problem starting the car from cold yet but other than that there doesn't seem to be any particular condition that causes it. I start and drive the car no problems and it will just die. The majority of my driving is highway so it is about 60 mph but I've had it happen at low speeds and even idling. No check engine light thus far but that doesn't mean much. The car has less than 70k on it but it had a bad water pump I had to change although I didn't have problems while the water pump was bad. The reason I bring that up is because I drove the car today in the rain but it ran perfect. However I let it sit for a few hours the rain stopped but it did it worse than ever. When it happened the first time it didn't happen again for 300 miles plus. It was here or there but after today I went 60 miles and it cutout about 9 times. When it cuts out it will crank but not start. I haven't been able to get it to act up when I have tools to see if its cutting fuel or spark. This is my first ls engine but my thought is I have a connector that is corroded or loose. Are the crank/cam sensors both on the front of the engine? Input please!!
Old 12-31-2012, 05:58 AM
TECH Resident

my first guess would be crankshaft position sensor going out, common sign is car will start and run while cold and shut off once it reaches operating tempature
Old 12-31-2012, 07:11 AM
TECH Regular

kind of what mine strarted doing before the fuel pump plug burned out at the top of the tank.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:46 AM
TECH Resident

I would look at the fuel system, filter swap is a good place to start. If you have a good scanner hook it up and see if something is triggering but hasn't reported yet.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

I changed the fuel filter about 500 miles ago so I don't think that's the issue. I was thinking a crank sensor. Is it located up front by the harmonic balancer? I am thinking maybe the water pump was leaking on it and shorting it out. The fuel pump plug would also make sense though. How tough was that to get to? Do you have to drop the tank?
Old 12-31-2012, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

LS6 has the crank sensor on the passenger side right above the starter. Real pain in the *** with the starter and exhaust installed. Cam position sensor is on top of the block right in the middle behind the intake. Tank will have to come down if you don't want to cut a hole under the back seat.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can check the easy stuff first.

I don't think you have a crank sensor problem.

I think you have a fuel problem.

It might take two people, but the next time it stops, check to see if the fuel pump is running.

You should be able to hear that.

When you turn the key on you should hear it, but you may have to be near the passenger rear wheel.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

crank sensor... sounds exactly like what happened to me.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

And another failed fuel pump connector !!! I assume . Is becoming very common
Old 12-31-2012, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

Ya I haven't been able to determine if the fuel pump is coming on or not every time it has happened I have been alone. I got the scanner on it and no codes are coming up. If it was a crank sensor I assume it would throw a code right? The fuel connector sounds about right but I don't really want to drop the tank for a maybe. Is there anyway to be more certain on if its bad? The couple times it died it at a stop it seemed more like it took a couple seconds to die rather shut off instantly like ignition was cut. The only reason I was thinking crank sensor was because I thought it was closer to the front of the engine and maybe the pump was leaking on it. How much for the new connector and is it a dealer only part? Also I haven't looked but do I have to drop the rear to get the tank out. If so a new access hole might be coming ha ha.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The simplest is to attach a fuel pressure gauge and watch it.

Dropping the tank is a PITA.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Ya the fuel pump is definitely cutting out. I ran it for about 10 minutes in the driveway and it cut out the fuel pump was definitely not coming on. The only thing I didn't get to check was whether or not it was cutting spark as well. The crank position sensor controls both correct? If its only the fuel I guess it's pretty safe to assume its the connector. Just outta curiosity what is the possibility the pump itself is bad? Could it be overheating and just shutting down but then when it cools back down it works again? Just a thought, also anyone know where I can get that connector by itself. I called the dealer and he was trying to sell me the whole harness.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:04 PM
12 Second Club

Fuel Pump Connector.
Mine Did The Same Thing.
Catch It Now Before It Gets Worse.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

here is my recent thread from swapping out my fuel pump a few weeks ago. my connector was burnt up and the pump wouldn't work at all.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...wont-fire.html

Unfortunately, I don't think you can get the connector separately, it's pretty much one big assembly. You will see pictures in the thread. There is also a link in that thread that has more detailed information on the issue and more pictures and stuff, which is what I used as reference. The pump is very expensive from the dealer. I got lucky and got a good deal, but not sure what other people do.

You don't HAVE to drop the tank if you don't mind cutting an access panel under the rear seat. If I had to do it all over I would still cut the access panel, but I would cut the hole bigger the first time.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:19 PM
Launching!

Cut the panel. It's much easier.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Ya I have already decided I am cutting an access hole. You said it would be under the back seat? Wouldn't have a picture I could check out so I can kind out get a reference point? Also something I didn't remember until I started doing some more research when I filled the car up a couple days ago the I left the gas station drove the car down the street and when I parked it there was a small puddle of fuel under the passenger side rear I thought I had just topped it off too much plus I was parked on a steep decline but I saw this video where the guy was saying the plug went bad and caused the fuel to leak. Anyone else have this problem? Either way looks like I am getting a new pump it sounds like. HAPPY F^&KING NEW YEAR I guess lol.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Sorry ZOnick didn't reading the last page of the thread saw the pictures I was looking for. Thanks for the help!
Old 12-31-2012, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's definitely the fuel pump if you had a gasoline puddle under the car. Damn, this problem is happening a lot lately.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

Ya after putting my "custom" access panel in it looks like the fuel pump plug is bad. Just double checking but the terminal that is burnt is the grey wire which if I remember correctly is the fuel pump power. So where's the best place online to purchase one?
Old 12-31-2012, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by scottylow
So where's the best place online to purchase one?
Click on link
Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: 05 v engine dies while driving help!