Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Remote start Project

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote start Project

Hello All,

So I'm slowly working on a DIY remote start project for my V. I could just buy a Viper SmartStart system, but that's not fun, and I refuse to buy anything that I'm not allowed to install and register myself.

The project will use:
Arduino Due microcontroller
GSM module for cellular communication (start, unlock, positioning)
RFID unlock and start (chip implanted in my hand, no key necessary)
GPS module for location awareness
Relay modules to handle 12v stuff
3.2 touchscreen for control/authorization when start by cell
Bluetooth module for aux stereo control
Shifter position sensor to prevent start in gear
Temperature sensors for inside/outside (can send to phone)

I will integrate the touchscreen in the change holder underneath the AC controls (as well as my 8500ci radar) so that it can be hidden or shown if necessary. I will also add a usb charger there, since everything charges via usb now-a-days.

The basic idea is that I will be able to remote start the car with my phone, then unlock it with either the phone or RFID. If it is unlocked with the RFID it can be driven away, if started with the phone, you will have to enter a pin in on the screen in order to "authorize" the vehicle.

I will be using a completely graphical interface with the touchscreen, but Im still in the process of creating bitmaps for everything.

here is a preview of the main screen background:

and for the bluetooth integration, I will just use a chinese module and relays to interrupt the audio signal from the head unit to the amp like the how to on the other forum. pic of the module is below. I didn't have a breakout board to solder it to, so I soldered it to a PCB. the pads on the module are about a half a millimeter....

I will keep this updated as I work on it.

Let me know what you think!
Old 02-03-2013, 06:34 AM
TECH Resident

You sir have my attention, and I will be watching closely.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds very cool! Im watching as well. Goodluck
Old 02-04-2013, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Love it! Keeping my eye on this thread, where do you install the shifter position switch?
Old 02-04-2013, 02:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Damn it looks like u really know what ur doing. If u weren't so far u could do mine lol.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are going to implant an rfid chip in your hand? How big is it?
Old 02-04-2013, 04:13 PM
On The Tree

I got a tiny bit of work done, I put some bitmaps to the button selection for the main screen, and made a generic numeric input function display.

The Bluetooth one is mostly white when Bluetooth off, and mostly blue when it is on. It is just a one touch toggle. The Bluetooth module i have doesn't have too much documentation, so when i hooked it up to test it the buttons for volume, next track, play, pause, etc didn't work. oh well, not a problem.

The module I'm using is this: bluetooth

a better one would be this: better bluetooth

You can use this relay set up to hook it up: VVVVVVV According to this post

Some details of other features"
GPS display Screen:
Will show current speed, current location in lat/long, altitude, max speed, distance to a location (home), and have a button to send your current location (google maps link) via text to a phone

Ignition Display screen:
Will have start, stop, Accessory, on, and door locks.

RFID and Cell display screens
Show numbers/part of RFID tags that are authorized for the vehicle, add or delete (text the car, then choose to add or not)

Settings
Brightness, remote start on/off, valet mode (remote start car, allow to drive for 1 mile or until authorized)

And that's what I've got so far.

Someone was asking about how to hook up a switch to sense the gear position. Most remote starters use the brake press (usually ground sense) to disable the car without the key. Instead of that, I will be using a thin, weak spring that is just larger than the shifter and half the height placed around the shifter and insulated from ground. When the shifter, attached to ground, is not in the center position (in any gear), it will show ground and will therefore will not allow the car to start. Notice I said weak spring, so as not to interrupt the shifter in gear.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Onefast V
You are going to implant an rfid chip in your hand? How big is it?
about the size of a grain of rice.

Also, this project started with integrating a boost/afr gauge as well, but I decided to get a cam instead. Here is a demo of the gauge.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you are alot smarter than me... i wish i knew so much about that type stuff
Old 02-04-2013, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesdem1123
about the size of a grain of rice.

]
haha yup, my dog has one in his back leg. essentially the same thing.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow this looks awesome, will be watching this. Only wish I had half your skills!
Old 02-05-2013, 10:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
haha yup, my dog has one in his back leg. essentially the same thing.
So will your dog be able to start up the car ?
Old 02-05-2013, 06:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks like a neat project, but why? What safeties will you incorporate? Maybe two years ago there was a story on this forum about a guy with remote start on his V. He took the car in for service. The repairs were done and the shop parked the car outside. Out of habit he remote started it.... You can guess the rest. He got no sympathy in the replies here. Good luck to you.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Teching In

Default Switches

Nice project but why the neutral safety switches for remote start? any manual transmission remote start you tie into the door switches.. after remote start cycle is initiated you exit car, car stays running then shuts off when last door is closed...if any door is re-opened remote start is disabled. its a failsafe way to ensure car is in neutral.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

The spoon is the shifter (lingenfelter short shifter), it will be connected to ground via a ground strap, the plastic container is the base,it will be insulated, and the coat hanger is a spring, it will be connected to the microcontroller sensor pin via a resistor and 5volts.

The picture above is the shifter in the center, not in gear. the shifter doesnt touch the spring, and therefore the sensor pin will read a "high" input. when the shifter is moved into gear, the sensor pin will see a "low" or ground signal. Whenever the pin is low, you cannot remote start the car. If the car is remote started out of gear, and then put into gear with out an authorization from either RFID, PIN number input, or in valet mode (entered before vehicle shut off), then the car will shut off.

1,3,5, R gears

2,4,6 gears
Old 02-06-2013, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

Ur not going to be able to shift as fast with a spoon. I would still use a shifter.

I actually have been looking for an arduino project too. This one is a little involved for me, but I think this stuff is awesome.

Quick Reply: Remote start Project