Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

My whipple manifold idea, well sort of.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 12:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My whipple manifold idea, well sort of.

I've been contemplating ditching the DRE manifold with small intake ports to something less restrictive. I have a spectre hood so I have alittle more clearance than stock. I still have to do some under hood measurements. I'm sure I'll have to do some modification of the intake tubing. I found on here someone that made an intake set up for cathedral ports, I'm just taking it one step further by adding an intercooler.

The last pic is a transmission cooler roughly the size I would need.
Here's how much room I have until my strut brace

It's probably the pulley and the intake tube I have to worry about clearance.
Anyway, what do you guys think about my idea?
I figure the tranny cooler should allow for enough airflow, hopefully it cools well too.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:30 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not a good idea at all...not enough surface area for the purpose that you are intending it to be used for. If you're dead set on making a manifold, try to figure out how to get a caprice evaporator or heater core in there some how.

There is a major difference between cooling air and fluid.

Realistically, i'd just leave it and look for ways to increase HEX system flow/efficiency rather than reinvent the wheel.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:39 PM
TECH Resident

I could probably find a heater core that would work. I'm also going to try and get hold of a guy in Austrailia that made one for a Holden.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:02 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Meh...I'd see what you have now that you have an actual IAT sensor. As long as there is boost sitting behind the intake valve, I don't the actual flow of the manifold would be much of an impediment, since the purpose of a manifold is to store air.

I'd be willing to bet the IAT's are what were really holding you back. I would try to optimize the efficiency of what you have with a better HEX and pump. You won't get any return on investment for what you would spend on a custom, one off manifold.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:08 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I'm going to run it as is to see what I get, but I see myself tearing it off the end of next summer, to come up with my own. You'd have to see the manifold, the ports are literally cut in half and almost anything I do for the manifold intercooler would be an improvement. Materials to manufacture a custom one like I'm proposing would cost me like 400.00.

Last edited by tommycompton; 02-12-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've got to agree, significantly cooling the air prior to entering the blower will yield much more improvement. A highly efficient heat exchanger and pump, properly placed intake filter, and possibly water/meth kit would be huge.

Best alternative is what the cobra guys do and buy a killer chiller that uses the air condition to lower IATS.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:28 PM
TECH Resident

I have a decent HEX and high flow pump, filter is tucked in the wheel well, and meth plumbed in. I may this summer look into a killer chiller like set up. But once I do some under hood measuring I'll probably be manufacturing a manifold, I know there is room for improvement with the one I have.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tommycompton
Yeah I'm going to run it as is to see what I get, but I see myself tearing it off the end of next summer, to come up with my own. You'd have to see the manifold, the ports are literally cut in half and almost anything I do for the manifold intercooler would be an improvement. Materials to manufacture a custom one like I'm proposing would cost me like 400.00.
The ports are 1/2 covered? Heck ya redesign that.

I work with an engineer that spent 15 years or so at a heat exchanger company, modeen I believe. Let me know if you any specific cooler advice and I can pass it on.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2007V
The ports are 1/2 covered? Heck ya redesign that.

I work with an engineer that spent 15 years or so at a heat exchanger company, modeen I believe. Let me know if you any specific cooler advice and I can pass it on.
Any advice would be good advice.
DRE does have a taller manifold, but for one it's 2 3/4" taller, pretty sure I won't be fitting that, and two he's asking 2800.00 for it, that's just not gonna happen. I could probably cast or cnc my own manifold for less than that.

Quick Reply: My whipple manifold idea, well sort of.