Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What do I need to do befor headers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I need to do befor headers?

Im gonna be doin headers on my 06 and would like to know what I need to do befor hand. Its gonna be just a set of OBX wih no cats. What would i need to do to the pcm so I dont go into limp mode or the such or is there an easy fix cause im not goin to dyno right away.gonna go in a few months when I do so valvetrain work
Old 02-19-2013, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

itll be fine without a tune. buy some new header bolts and change ur motor mounts while ur in there
Old 02-19-2013, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i forgot, no cats is gonna set the code for em so the CEL will be on but the car will run fine. if u have access to tuning software just turn off the post cat o2 sensor and related codes
Old 02-19-2013, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Nothing really. With headers and CAI it will run a little lean but nothing dangerous. You would see the most benefit from those mods with a tune...but it is not required.

Be happy that you live in a non emissions county in Texas also. I'm currently going through that BS right now as I'm typing this. I just moved here from NY into Tarrant county (with emissions testing) and now I have to pay to have my CEL (codes shut off) off to pass inspection before I can register my car (because of not having cats). Awesome.

Like punishment cycle said do motor mounts when you are there and def get new bolts! So much headache saved with those two things.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You won't go into reduced power mode, but your car will throw a couple of codes and will not run very nicely due to the fact that the rear O2 sensors will be seeing the direct output of the motor. If you run that way long enough, those sensors will likely become fouled and require replacement (or disablement).

Edit: as others said, DEFINITELY do motor mounts and new bolts while you're there. You have no idea how much you'll be kicking yourself later if you don't. If you ever wanted to do new plugs and wires, now is also a good time. You have new header gaskets at the ready, right?

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 02-19-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
You have new header gaskets at the ready, right?
Take note of this! The gaskets that come with the OBX headers are terrible. It's borderline criminal that they include them.

I went with OBX headers and used GM MLS gaskets.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the quick response just wanted to make sure it wouldnt go into the dreaded limp mode
Old 02-19-2013, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I 2nd what everyone else said, especially the gaskets. The GM MLS gaskets are ****, I also used Stage 8 bolts on my car from previous bad memories of backed out header bolts.

As everyone else said you'll throw codes without the rear O2's until you get the lights turned off but that in itself will not hurt performance.

If you don't do motor mounts then you'll just have to take the headers back off when you do choose to do them.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Surprised no one else has said this:

BEFORE BEGINNING INSTALLATION TEAR DOWN inspect all exhaust manifold bolts to make sure the heads haven't been broken off. My theory is that busted OEM motor mounts break the heads right off of the rear bolts. If this is the case be prepared to have those removed with a welded bolt to what's left of the bolt shaft.

After my header install my tuner advised me that it was running dangerously lean near 5k RPM and had to cut the primary run short. After performance mods, especially with a noticeable and pleasing exhaust note I know it's a little hard to stay out of the throttle. Be very wary that you could do some damage if you're having a little too much "fun".

As for the gaskets, you can actually reuse the stock gaskets. I cleaned mine up with a scotch sponge and some b12 chemtool cleaner. Haven't had any leaks.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Nothing really. With headers and CAI it will run a little lean but nothing dangerous. You would see the most benefit from those mods with a tune...but it is not required.

Be happy that you live in a non emissions county in Texas also. I'm currently going through that BS right now as I'm typing this. I just moved here from NY into Tarrant county (with emissions testing) and now I have to pay to have my CEL (codes shut off) off to pass inspection before I can register my car (because of not having cats). Awesome.

Like punishment cycle said do motor mounts when you are there and def get new bolts! So much headache saved with those two things.
Can you keep hitting up other shops? I when I lived in TX I know there were shops that did testing and if you go to the right one you can pay a little extra to have them pass it. I didn't have to do any when I was there but a few people told me this info.

Quick Reply: What do I need to do befor headers?