Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Makes it hard to invest in a V1..

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 09:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by runsfromdacops
dont get me wrong i love the V2s but i just dont think they are worth the extra 25K to get in to a stock one. yes they can make more power with a very low investment but the price of the car is still alot higher. **** i could build a 800hp V1 and still buy another stock V1 for a DD with V2 money

This seems to be the thought process of most V1 owners. I was there at one point when I owned one. But have you seen anyone go from a V1 to a V2, and then decide they should go back to a V1 because it's cheaper to build?
Old 03-13-2013, 10:28 AM
Launching!

Every reason the V1 owners have posted of not getting a V2 were the same reasons I held out, but now that I have a V2, I have no regrets about upgrading. Let be real. The V2 is better than the V1 in every way. I have my V1 just right with a Maggie and 8.8 rear end, and the V2 is still much better. I thought I didn't like the looks, but one you see it everyday, you start realizing how dated the V1 look is. Interior, better, exterior, better, performance better.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JD03Cobra
I've driven my fare share of V2's, stock and modified. Its a great car but very different than the V1. For me my V1 has been so great that the money difference just isn't justified. Everyone is different but when the V2 starts to fall into the upper 35-40k range then it's game on. Until then I'm loving mine as a DD after 5 years and 80k miles!
They're already in that range, so come on to the other side. Got mine for under $40k, and I am only paying $100 more per month than I was my V1. Insurance stayed the same.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B_ROCKS_IT
So ya, I guess for most people procharges may be the cheapest way to go boosted, but my point was that I dont think they are ideal in any way. I think you can get a maggy for $8k, as I said, id go turbo but if that wasnt a choice I'd spend the extra 1000 and get a maggy.
I think you are way off on Centri blowers...
Prochargers for these cars are NOT the cheapest way to go boosted, MP112s are.

Cooler charge than any maggie any day.
You want full flat boost response? easy, you max out the blower rpm and use a boost controller on the intake charge, and dial your boost band in.
You will always obtain higher HP on the top end with a centri.

I think you should look at Skydivers setup. -864 rwhp / 812 rwtq (on 12# of boost) - procharged
Or Aruns many procharged vehicles.

an example:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...-800-rwhp.html

Last edited by vmapper; 03-13-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

My problem is the $. My V1 is almost paid for and the modding has begun. By the time I invest another 10G's it will be a very fast, very good handling car. plus I will not have a payment! So by the time that V2's are around 30k$ I will have a comparably fast (or faster) car and still only 25-30k invested. Which to me is > than owning a V2, which then the modding begins again.

As for the creature comforts, Im putting in sparco seats and harnesses so...they mean nothing to me.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:55 AM
FoD
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
My problem is the $. My V1 is almost paid for and the modding has begun. By the time I invest another 10G's it will be a very fast, very good handling car. plus I will not have a payment! So by the time that V2's are around 30k$ I will have a comparably fast (or faster) car and still only 25-30k invested. Which to me is > than owning a V2, which then the modding begins again.
Agreed with everything you said...before you edited your post.

However, as stated earlier, both are different cars. If you want a more refined, quiet, smoother ride that is blisteringly fast, the V2 makes sense. If you want an 'under the radar' fast "luxury" car, the V1 is probably the best out there for the money.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by vmapper
I think you are way off on Centri blowers...
Prochargers for these cars are NOT the cheapest way to go boosted, MP112s are.

Cooler charge than any maggie any day.
You want full flat boost response? easy, you max out the blower rpm and use a boost controller on the intake charge, and dial your boost band in.
You will always obtain higher HP on the top end with a centri.

I think you should look at Skydivers setup. -864 rwhp / 812 rwtq (on 12# of boost) - procharged
Or Aruns many procharged vehicles.

an example:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...-800-rwhp.html

Okay, it seems like maybe I was being prejudice about Centri's, honestly I have never had any kind of a SC, but going off the facts, the principals of how they worked didnt seem to make sense to me on papaer, it appears that this may have been a misconception on my end... Turbo's still the best ;-)
Old 03-13-2013, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Okay, it seems like maybe I was being prejudice about Centri's, honestly I have never had any kind of a SC, but going off the facts, the principals of how they worked didnt seem to make sense to me on papaer, it appears that this may have been a misconception on my end... Turbo's still the best ;-)
Still debateable. Turbos require engine oil, which is it's own problem by itself. Plus the scavanger pump=terrible IMO. So...those are my trade offs. Plus the extra piping of two sides intake and exhaust.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by soulja
They're already in that range, so come on to the other side. Got mine for under $40k, and I am only paying $100 more per month than I was my V1. Insurance stayed the same.
Oh I will move over...just waiting for the next gen CTS V to come out so the V2 prices start dropping even more and they will. In the meantime I will enjoy no payment.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

ya, I would absolutely love to get a V2, I would get one for the damn interior!! but my V is paid off, and I really don't want a car payment right now
Old 03-13-2013, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is always a blower that can out flow and turbo and vice versa.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:25 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Still debateable. Turbos require engine oil, which is it's own problem by itself. Plus the scavanger pump=terrible IMO. So...those are my trade offs. Plus the extra piping of two sides intake and exhaust.
Turbo's will always make more power than anything other than N2O simply b/c of the parasitic loss associated with any kind of supercharger. You have to account that the TVS Blowers consume in the neighborhood of 100-130 piston hp which a turbo does not.

Also, if you use Comp Oil-less turbo's you do not have oil lines and pumps. I was going to go this route before my E Force. The turbo's are packed with a special grease and are liquid cooled so they can be mounted in any position. It's recommended to ship them back every 3 yrs or 50k miles to re-pack the grease and insp, but that also extends the warranty on them.

The fact that they do away with oil lines and scavenge pumps make the cost well worth the investment. And since they can be mounted in any position, their mounting position can be dictated by the piping and not the oil lines.

Too bad Comp's people are *******'s.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

My only complaint with centri blowers are the fact that they are so affected by belt alignment issues. Not only do you have to buy the standard kit, to make big power you gotta drop a good chunk of change on a new bracket setup just to get the thing to keep a belt on the car.

No matter what setup you have from n/a, nitrous, blower, turbo....when you make big power every single one will have its issue somewhere.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Were talking current times right? not exactly fair to compare the V1 at higher than current price to the V2's at their current price.

Therefore if you spend the time, a decent 07 can be had for $20k

$10-12k in mods will get you in the 10sec club unless you are a fool.

now you have another $8-10k left over for "warranty", or to get in the 9's

Your real warranty just stops you from having any fun with the car for fear of voiding it, **** a warranty IMHO...

as far as the platform and chasis, I dont know much about the engineering improvements, maybe others can chime in, but I do know its quite a bit heavier, this isnt a car that I will be competing on roadcoarses with, why would you in a 4000lb car, so I am not to concerned with the improvements...
its 2013 and zero v1's are in the 10's and many people have spent all sorts of money on them. many built rear guys and many arent in the 11's.

V2's run 11's like its an accident
Old 03-14-2013, 01:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
its 2013 and zero v1's are in the 10's and many people have spent all sorts of money on them. many built rear guys and many arent in the 11's.

V2's run 11's like its an accident
Well bear with me, I just got mine in October, already putting down double the stock horsepower, track just isnt open yet...

Sorry it took me so long to buy one, but I figure 750+WHP within 7000 miles of owning the car is making good leeway...

I cant speak for why everyone else isnt breaking 10's yet, but as for myself, I will try and lead by example for yall
Old 03-14-2013, 01:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

We have to keep in mind the upgraded rears really werent affordable up until about 6-8 months ago. I know that is one of the top 3 reasons I sold my car. I simply refused to drop 6k on a rear setup. Now that they are down in the 2-4k range these cars are gonna start going faster.

I still dont see anyone making consistent 10 second passes on a stock rear.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:51 AM
Launching!

If I could buy a v2 wagon I would own one. The wagon is just still too expensive. When I can get a wagon for 30-35k I will get rid of the V1 and pick up a wagon. However, I do love my V1 as a DD.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i cant wait to deep dick the 10 second barrier maybe even play just the tip with 9s
Old 03-14-2013, 10:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by runsfromdacops
i cant wait to deep dick the 10 second barrier maybe even play just the tip with 9s
Better get in the 12 or 11s first before you aim for 9s lol
Old 03-14-2013, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if i run anything other then a 10 it will be because something broke

Quick Reply: Makes it hard to invest in a V1..