Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Headlight repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight repair

Going to attempt to get some of the fogginess/ scratches out of the headlights in the next few days to freshen her up for the summer. Bought a 3M headlight restoration kit and some extra wet/dry sandpaper...Already have mag's scratch x in the garage from a previous project. I know the kit comes with some buffing solution which I am sure is not enough to do the job right. Read about people recommending that plastiX for buffing, Any other suggestions from those of you that have tackled this project before I begin? I also know that once the clear uv protection is wiped clean off the lights they will oxidize even faster, however I feel like one of my lights is so scratched up that most of that protection is gone anyway. Also I have the 8th day creations brows on my headlight which makes this more of a b!tch. I contacted them but have not heard anything back so I have to tape around these rather than remove them cause heck if I know if I can ever get another set. Regardless open to any and all input good or bad)
Old 03-26-2013, 01:53 PM
On The Tree

this would be a good (permanent) fix after you polish out the haze/yellowing. adds a layer of resin UV protectant.

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti...t-coating.html

i have used opticoat 2.0 and while for paint, is applied the same way and works very well. follow the directions to a T, and you will get great results.

Last edited by gangnam style; 03-31-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

If you can do so, or can find out a price from a body shop, wet sanding them, then having them clear coated is your best bet. A body shop should be able to clear them for a minimal amount.

Headlight repair-img_0446.jpg

I tinted the clear coat when I did mine. This will give you the UV protection back.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Want to go 50/50 on a set of those headlights and LED tails with me, k2? I already have the headlights, and am willing to ship the headlights to you or pay you to ship the tails to me.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:03 PM
JDB
Launching!

Originally Posted by brack86svo
If you can do so, or can find out a price from a body shop, wet sanding them, then having them clear coated is your best bet. A body shop should be able to clear them for a minimal amount.

Attachment 396515

I tinted the clear coat when I did mine. This will give you the UV protection back.
Where in central PA?

want to do another set?
Old 03-26-2013, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JDB
Where in central PA?

want to do another set?
I live in the York area. I would do another set if you are willing to pull your headlights. In order to clear them, they have to be out of the car, otherwise I have to mask off the entire car to prevent overspray. Takes me about 3 hours, maybe less. If it's a sunny day, they dry pretty quick once you put them outside and the UV cures the clear. My lights weren't bad when I did this, so I only wet sanded them with 1000 grit. Depending how bad your lights are, that could add more time to sanding.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Want to go 50/50 on a set of those headlights and LED tails with me, k2? I already have the headlights, and am willing to ship the headlights to you or pay you to ship the tails to me.

Fuzzy if I invest in the headlight/tail combo I am keeping the tails. I am not really trying to buy/invest in headlights at this point, I'm putting pennies in the jar for the tails, and hopefully a a c7 by jan (fingers crossed). Ive been on a hunt for tails for the last year. Regardless of the price I will be getting a set by the end of may. I saw some for 389 the other day meaning these tools are actually considering maybe lowering the price.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also wondering how well the clear coat will hold up over time considering these things get hot???
Old 03-26-2013, 03:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kl2onik
Fuzzy if I invest in the headlight/tail combo I am keeping the tails. I am not really trying to buy/invest in headlights at this point, I'm putting pennies in the jar for the tails, and hopefully a a c7 by jan (fingers crossed). Ive been on a hunt for tails for the last year. Regardless of the price I will be getting a set by the end of may. I saw some for 389 the other day meaning these tools are actually considering maybe lowering the price.
I was actually going to post a thread about that yesterday. I contacted 16 eBay vendors, plus Eagle Eyes itself (the Taiwanese manufacturer) and their American distributor, Anzo. Offered to buy 10 sets cash. The biggest discount I was offered was $5 per unit, and four vendors actually RAISED their advertised prices by $10-25/unit in their written responses. Almost all of them claimed that they were losing money on these things. What a load of s***.

As a result, I was planning on organizing a thread where guys that were only interested in headlights or tail lights could split the cost of the package ($575, versus $430 for the tails and $500 for the headlights bought separately). $300 sounds so much better than $430-500.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:10 PM
JDB
Launching!

Originally Posted by JDB
Where in central PA?

want to do another set?
Originally Posted by brack86svo
I live in the York area. I would do another set if you are willing to pull your headlights. In order to clear them, they have to be out of the car, otherwise I have to mask off the entire car to prevent overspray. Takes me about 3 hours, maybe less. If it's a sunny day, they dry pretty quick once you put them outside and the UV cures the clear. My lights weren't bad when I did this, so I only wet sanded them with 1000 grit. Depending how bad your lights are, that could add more time to sanding.
I'm a short drive away. Would like to see it in person.

No problem removing lights.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kl2onik
Also wondering how well the clear coat will hold up over time considering these things get hot???
The headlight won't get hot enough to effect it. The headlight doesn't get near as hot as your car sitting in direct sunlight all day, or at least a black car sitting in the sun all day. I use PPG Deltron clear, a great high quality, and expensive clear coat.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JDB
I'm a short drive away. Would like to see it in person.

No problem removing lights.
PM me and we can work out the details.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just wanted to update...SO I did the 3m repair and I must say the lights look nothing short of brand spanking new. All the crustiness is gone that we all get on the corners! After I finished them I went for a ride and while making a turn saw a base cts with all foggy nasty/ peeling lights, amazed at how noticeable they are. I took my time with them...Id say almost 3hrs total but I was drinking coffee and every time I thought I was done Id go over them again.

For anyone doing this in the future take the time to tape everything properly and put at least two layers of tape on, if not three around the edges. Just take your time and move through the lens. All that directional movement is kind of BS, just make sure you don't sit on one spot too long (keep the drill moving side to side), and use you common sense to cover everything semi evenly (this especially goes for the edges) <-----this is why you need a bunch of layers of tape.

At this point if they start getting hazy on me, all I really need is to drop some PlastiX on the 3m sponge and buff them periodically, and they should stay new)
Old 03-31-2013, 11:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Pics?
Old 04-01-2013, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or take the headlights off and spray them with this http://www.repaintsupply.com/pd_2_part_2k_aerosol.cfm It has been on my other car for about 6 months and survived the winter. Getting hazy and yellow every few weeks got very annoying.

Quick Reply: Headlight repair