Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

In search of a new intake FORCED AIR. Airaid no results LOST POWER

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb In search of a new intake FORCED AIR. Airaid no results LOST POWER

Being that this is my first post here on this forum forgive me if I missed this result in my search.

I have been driving my '11 Coupe for quite some time now with great satisfaction. Just recently I have decided to install mods. My very first mod was of course the Airaid intake due to the countless reviews listed here and on the cadillac forum. Got to say that the sound is unreal but I couldn't help but feel the car just did not feel right cruising on the freeway. It seemed like the car would be struggling anywhere past 100. It definitely did feel as if the car lost all excitement past 120.

On the contrary however the throttle response and lower end power did feel very responsive and I did feel a dramatic improvement over stock.

Since my install of the Airaid I have followed the instructions and suggestions of this forum to disconnect the negative terminal and reset the cars computer about three times. Still felt sluggish at high speeds.

Last weekend I decided to install the stock system and right away I did feel a difference on higher speeds. 100-120-140 in what seemed to be much quicker that it would with the Airaid system installed. I was without a doubt convinced that the completely closed system with air funnelling in through the scoop was better for higher speeds.

Since then I have studied the stock system and am in search for a different type of intake system. I am looking for an intake system similar to what is currently available on most sport bikes where the closed intake box is funnelling air directly from the outside environment. I feel that at higher speeds the air being "forced" into the channel - intake box - then into internals would be greater than the throttle body doing all of the work. I am by no means a skilled mechanic nor an engineer however I feel that the vacuum generated by the throttle body is just not enough for the car to get enough air into the fuel mixture at high speeds.

What I am in search for is either an air scoop or snorkel that connects to the stock intake box that leads to an opening in the front of the vehicle or a completely new intake system with a closed intake box with tubing leading to the front. Possibly even a "shared" channel that connects the piping that cools the brakes, directly to the opening of the stock intake box.

Anyone on this forum with insight into this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:51 PM
FoD
On The Tree

D3 had an intake that had a downtube connected to the front fog light scoop. I don't know if they have discontinued this.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by FoD
D3 had an intake that had a downtube connected to the front fog light scoop. I don't know if they have discontinued this.
Thank you for this information. Ill try giving them a call
Old 05-02-2013, 02:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That loss of power doesn't make sense to me for an FI motor.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DACTARI
Agreed; my cousin has an 09 V and the Airaid was the first modification he installed on the car. Back to back dyno runs before and after install without a tune netted >25rwhp increase.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Maybe his car is seeing increased IATs with the AirRaid intake and dumping fuel and pulling timing? I'm guessing that things are different under the hood during a 125mph pull than a dyno pull with the hood open.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by DACTARI
Sorry, I could not provide definitive data as no dyno tests have been done post and prior to the install. Just judging based off using the same strip of long straight road, the speed of the needle and the feel of the power on the butt dyno

Originally Posted by Redline93
Agreed; my cousin has an 09 V and the Airaid was the first modification he installed on the car. Back to back dyno runs before and after install without a tune netted >25rwhp increase.
This is exactly why I have decided to initially purchase the Airaid. I should also state that I am far from an experienced tuner. Never put any of my cars on a dyno for testing. The loss of power that i "feel" is only during higher speeds. The car really does seem to crawl post 125mph, while with the stock air box getting past 140 is no problem and I can feel the car continuing to pull.

My theory is that at higher speeds the momentum of the car vs air is actually forcing more air past the scoop-filter-throttlebody. All of this also benefitting from the vacuum produced through throttle body and forced induction. Again this is only theory. I guess a good way to put it is; I feel like while using the Airaid is almost like using a straw with a hole on the side.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by DougNuts
Maybe his car is seeing increased IATs with the AirRaid intake and dumping fuel and pulling timing?...
Has something like this happened before on this forum? Any way to fix something like this?

Originally Posted by DougNuts
...I'm guessing that things are different under the hood during a 125mph pull than a dyno pull with the hood open.
My thoughts exactly
Old 05-02-2013, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pylee257
Has something like this happened before on this forum? Any way to fix something like this?
Not sure. I also wanted to add that I would try to SAFELY time a pull from 110mph to 135mph with and without the AirRaid intake as close together (same day at minimum) and see if your butt is telling the truth.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

I suppose it's possible that at those speeds, wind buffeting could starve the intake of air unless it's being sucked from further towards the grill. You might want to call Hennesey or another shop that routinely has V2s going those speeds and see what they have to say. Hell, ask a Nascar guy.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:21 PM

So I wanted to post an update from other forums...Here goes

Originally Posted by Tsunami1k
I can say, I just finished putting on my New Era open intake with the 14" Green filter and my wagon definitely pulls hard all the way until 170ish. It doesn't even compare to the stock system. Then again I also have a ported TB and a canned diablo tune. It also may make a difference that the filter sits right in front of the brake cooling duct. Also I'm sure someone much smarter than me will chime in, but with all the forced induction work I have done to my bikes, I can say from my experience that the ram-air deal doesn't make an ounce of difference when you have a supercharger or turbo pumping the air anyway. If the car was NA like some of my grudge bikes then I could see the difference. I've tested everything from a 3" low profile filter inside fairings to a monster 12" hog on an intake tube to help feed my turbo on my big bike. In 30+ runs between the both I picked up 1 mph with the bigger filter, and that could be due to the temp difference from being outside away from the motor.
Thank you for your input; I have very little knowledge on how forced induction works besides about 2 hours worth of reading found on google. If the forced induction in our cars does pump ample air into the internals with the "open" airaid system it is possible the feeling of loss of power could be caused from elsewhere.

Originally Posted by Atv
I agree, most of my cars have been forced induction, and ram air doesn't make a difference. Cold air does. You wouldn't happen to be in high desert country, would you?
I guess you what you can say is that I am trying to find or create a "cold air" system using the stock airbox. Ideally i would like to connect the sealed stock system to an air duct which is forcing more air into the intake at higher speeds. I live in SoCal (Los Angeles) where on a hot day it can get about 110 degrees.

Originally Posted by Mr. GoodCad
Try this, it's a great example.

http://www.ctsvowners.com/forum/show...e-duct-Ram-Air

Google is your friend: site:ctsvowners.com ram air
Thank you for this...I guess all I would need to find now is a coupler with three outlets to share the brake duct channel with the intake. Also I would need to find a good way to connect the piping to the opening of the intake box.

So i found this on amazon;

http://www.amazon.com/Fernco-Inc-PQT...=I6C5P8X1TNLTN

Im thinking with this I can cut out a portion of the driver side brake cooling duct and share a channel with piping directed to my intake box. Anyone know of a way to connect 3" piping to the rectangular air scoop located on the lower portion of the stock airbox and seal it so that the stock airbox will only be sucking in direct cool air from the front of the car?

I like the idea that the stock unit is completely sealed, while more air is being forced into the unit from the motion of the car through the air ducts located on the front of the vehicle
Old 05-12-2013, 09:01 AM
12 Second Club

I put an Airaid on my 13 Corvette coupe & while I used a different dyno than I used for my baseline (they both give same results while one is Mustang & one is a DynoJet), I got the same HP & lost 10 ft/lbs of torque.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

If what you're seeing is a real effect, pretty much the only thing I can think of that could account for this is turbulence and buffeting at very high speed preventing the Air Raid from sucking in as much air as the supercharger needs. Somehow, the stock setup is getting around this.

Quick Reply: In search of a new intake FORCED AIR. Airaid no results LOST POWER