Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

toyo proxes r1r???

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default toyo proxes r1r???

Anyone ever tried these? I was perusing tires today looking at tire rack comparing stuff and whatnot. I usually like to run Hankook RS3 tires. I have a real short commute so tread wear is out the widow really I don't care about that. Both are an "extreme performance summer" tire or what I would refer to as a summer slick type. Tread wear on the kooks is 200 toyos is 140. Like I said I had good luck with the Hankooks before, good wear, good grip, and good under braking. But I haven't seen the toyos on the track yet. I asked a few buddies and they haven't run them either. The one thing that is pretty different is the weight range. Being that the Cadillac is a pretty sizable car is the 1433-ish on the toyos enough? The Hankook have a 1609lbs rating. So I'm a little more comfortable with the Hankook at this point. I'm going to run 245/40s on the stock wheels. I do track days fairly often, when work schedule allows. And I have a 15 mile round trip commute so like I said tread wear isn't a huge concern really. Both are pretty comparably priced also within $100 of each other. The Hankook are more expensive but $100 isn't a deal breaker since I have had experience with them.

Just looking to see if anyone has used them or had any experience with them to get some feedback. Thanks
Old 06-15-2013, 02:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No experience with r1r's.... Though, I've been running the R888 in a 245/40 on stock rims for track days. Held up good. 5 track days and about 6 autox (1 FTD) with 500km on the street. And they are rated 16xxlbs.....
Old 06-15-2013, 02:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea the R888 is a great tire. My buddy in a C5 Z06 uses them exclusively. But, after the price crests $1000 it's a little hard to get by the ol lady as just a set of 'replacements' for whats on there. Also, while on tire rack's website I noticed that they don't offer the road hazard warranty with the R888s. Which sucks and that was pretty much why I ruled them out. I'm not trying to be too much of a cheap bastard but the roads here in California blow dogs for quarters, potholes EVEYWHERE, it's like a mine field in Somalia. So that's why I decided kind of against them on my daily driver. After I get a set of wheels for the track I'll mount up either some R888s or some Hankook Z214s. I appreciate the input though. The R888s are real good but for the application I am intending I think that other tires might be more effective.

I can't really see the R1Rs as being a HUGE step down in traction though. They have a really low tread wear rating. While that doesn't really mean a whole lot comparing different manufacturers in my experience (due to the testing methods used in tread ware tests) it is still something to look at. Between the R1R and the R888 there isn't a whole lot of difference in tread wear so I'm thinking that its still a fairly soft and sticky compound that would be perfect for doing canyons and track days on the weekends while still holding up to the 15 mile round trip for work. I am real lucky I live so close. If I didn't I would have to put some garbage tires on the car that are for fuel economy... ewwwww.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:48 AM
Teching In

R1R/rs3's are a great tire. I've see a fair few cars with them both. If you go to the less weight rated tire, I'd watch the air pressures close during runs... The 245/40 hp summer's I'm running currently are rated in the 14xx'slbs and held up good this last autox....
Old 06-15-2013, 03:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do you run the R888s for daily driving also?
Old 06-15-2013, 07:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

I have no direct experience with either, but from what I've read the RS-3 is superior to the R1R.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:20 AM
Teching In

Just to drive across town to car shows and take a few conners. No highway, as I'm running the aggressive street alignment from the FAQ page. The tires do sound like a lifted truck going down the the street...

I was wrong in an above post the R888 I have are 14xxlbs. And I run 39psi hot in them
Old 06-15-2013, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

I run the Nitto NT05s which i believe Nitto is owned by Toyo. I only have one day at laguna seca on them right now but they were really good at laguna.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
I have no direct experience with either, but from what I've read the RS-3 is superior to the R1R.
That's what I figured. I liked the Hankooks a lot. That said, I kind of want to try the Toyos for some reason.

Originally Posted by Onefast V
I run the Nitto NT05s which i believe Nitto is owned by Toyo. I only have one day at laguna seca on them right now but they were really good at laguna.
I'm jealous of the northern California guys that are close to that track. I get yo run the AAA Speedway in Fontana but Laguna is legendary.

Quick Reply: toyo proxes r1r???