Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Wiring up switch back LED DRL's ... help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 10:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring up switch back LED DRL's ... help please

I have read the how-to that was posted over at CF's, but I'm a total noob to electrical stuff. I'm not entirely sure how to connect the dots between splicing into the harness that's in the driver's door jam/dash area, and then going to/from the fuse panel in the foot well. Do I run wires from the harness, to the fuse panel, then out to the DRL's? If so, what's the best way to tie into the fuse panel, and which fuse would I want?
Thanks guys.

EDIT: To clarify, the switch back LED's need a 3rd power wire run to them in order to act as a DRL with the white LED's, then switch to amber when the signal is engaged.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone?
Old 08-19-2013, 07:16 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Nothing needs to go to the fuse box. He added additional in-line fuses and diodes. The diodes aren't necessary and the 1A fuses are additional circuit protection that is optional. The 'new' wires run directly from the splices at the end cap to the bulb connectors.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
Nothing needs to go to the fuse box. He added additional in-line fuses and diodes. The diodes aren't necessary and the 1A fuses are additional circuit protection that is optional. The 'new' wires run directly from the splices at the end cap to the bulb connectors.
Yah, I was a little unclear on which part exactly he was saying was optional in his write-up. Thanks for the clarification.
Would you say that the inline fuse or diode is necessary, or overkill?
Old 08-20-2013, 06:09 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

A diode cuts off either the top or bottom half of an a/c sine wave. Your car is d/c. The diode is unnecessary and the fuses are overkill but good for additional protection.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:07 AM
TECH Resident

Waaaay over my head, but thanks for the info man. I really appreciate it.
Do you have experience with wiring these bulbs up specifically, or are you just speaking from general electrical knowledge? Reason I ask is because I'd love to take any other tips you might have regarding this job. From what I gather its just a matter of getting those power wires run to the connector, modifying the connector for a 3rd wire, and installing the resistor (came with bulbs) to prevent hyper flash .... Am I missing anything?

While I have your ear, can I pick your brain about something else? I'm also considering a set of eBay halo headlights (plus hid conversion) and am wondering about the possibility of wiring the halos into the DRL's circuit so that they run with the DRLs... Any idea if this is possible and how easy/difficult it may be?

Thanks again.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:52 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

That's about right for the process. I have all the stuff to wire up the switchbacks but I'm not sure I want to switchback to amber since my side markers are white LED's. I think I'm going to just get a set of white LED's and go with that.

The halo DRL's shouldn't be hard. I imagine you'd just use the same constant 12v line that you are putting to the white on the switchbacks. However, I think those flash so they may go with your turn signals. I think you'll find that answer with a little research. Why would you want them to turn off when the headlights are on? I think I would go with a constant switched power source and just have them on whenever the key is in the on position.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

A diode cuts off either the top or bottom half of an a/c sine wave. Your car is d/c. The diode is unnecessary and the fuses are overkill but good for additional protection.
Umm.... partially right. A diode is a semiconductor device with each side doped with other materials to have excess holes or electrons (+ or negative -, p-n junction) so that current only flows in one direction (except if breakdown voltage is achieved). SO the purpose of a diode is to prevent current flowing back into the original source of the circuit.

Original source ----->|----<--------original component
........................diode^.......--------new trigger

it prevents current going back to the original source which can cause other problems if other things are connected to the same line.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:24 PM
TECH Resident

That's about right for the process. I have all the stuff to wire up the switchbacks but I'm not sure I want to switchback to amber since my side markers are white LED's. I think I'm going to just get a set of white LED's and go with that.

The halo DRL's shouldn't be hard. I imagine you'd just use the same constant 12v line that you are putting to the white on the switchbacks. However, I think those flash so they may go with your turn signals. I think you'll find that answer with a little research. Why would you want them to turn off when the headlights are on? I think I would go with a constant switched power source and just have them on whenever the key is in the on position.
Thanks again.

To clarify, I don't want the halos to turn off when the headlights are on at all. I was saying that I want the halos on when the DRL's are on, as well as when they're wired to go on out-of-the-box ... not ONLY when the DRL's are on. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wes8398

While I have your ear, can I pick your brain about something else? I'm also considering a set of eBay halo headlights (plus hid conversion) and am wondering about the possibility of wiring the halos into the DRL's circuit so that they run with the DRLs... Any idea if this is possible and how easy/difficult it may be?

Thanks again.
There's a few threads in the forum on the eBay halos. Just search to it. Also fuzzylog1c did a write up with a wiring guide. Lots of people have gone that route.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:08 AM
TECH Resident

I usually precede all my posts with something to the effect of "I've already searched but didn't find answers specific to the question I'm about to ask", but this time I didn't. Rest assured, I've searched before posting...I've been around online forums for many years and definitely know the ropes by now.
Regarding Fuzzy's wiring guide though... I'm not sure I've come across that yet. And if I did read it, I don't recall it addressing how to have the halos run with the DRLs...
As I mentioned in the OP, I did come across a great how to on wiring up the switchbacks, but I still had questions after reading it many times over...

Quick Reply: Wiring up switch back LED DRL's ... help please