Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

For V2 Caliper Upgrade - Pads/Lines Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 04:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default For V2 Caliper Upgrade - Pads/Lines Recommendations?

After futzing around with the stock brakes, I finally bit the bullet and have begun to order:
  • Girodisc or Coleman 2-piece front rotors (I looked at the 370x34mm RB rotors, but +8.6% surface area is not worth 2x cost)
  • Silver V2 front calipers and new rear calipers
  • Hard Brakes' 1.0mm titanium shims

These two things are still bugging me:
  1. I only have experience with the OEM Ferodo HT1000 and Hawk HP+ pads. My goal is to find a pad that is similar to the Hawk HP+ in noise, but with more initial bite, and with brake dust that doesn't turn into granite on my wheels. For me, the brake could produce as much dust as the surface of the moon, so long as I can easily remove it. Right now, I'm favoring the RacingBrake ET800, but I'm open to suggestions. Not interested in any Carbotech products or the Ferodo DS2500.
  2. I already have the Goodrich kit, but I still have a soft pedal despite replacing my master cylinder and going to my local Cadillac dealership to have them run a Tech 2 ABS solenoid purge. As I recall, Luke @ Lindsay is selling a kit, RacingBrake has a kit, and Agency Power has a kit. Do you recommend that I stick with what I have, or jump ship?
Any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 08-27-2013 at 05:07 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question unrelated to your questions: why are you buying new rear calipers? Cosmetic reasons?
Old 08-27-2013, 08:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Running ET500s on the street. Have ET800s for track events, but RB said they're not designed for wheel to wheel if that's what you're doing. They said the 800s are streetable, but it seemed that they'll make HP+ noise. Haven't tried them as I'm running on street tires, and the ET500s have been more than capable.

V1 stainless lines will work on V2 calipers.

Braking performance will be noticeable.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:00 AM
TECH Resident

I'm running EBC yellowstuff pads with the v2 calipers. They have pretty darn good initial bite and can handle enough heat to be used on the track. They do dust a fair amount but i have not had an issue with cleaning my wheels.

As far as brake lines if you already have SS brake lines and as long as they are not leaking then i don't believe one brand will give any different feel than another. I have found that the greatest change in feel comes from a different brake pad. Sometimes improperly bedded pads can result in a funny brake pedal feel as well, perhaps that is your issue?
Old 08-27-2013, 09:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by lubelizard
Running ET500s on the street. Have ET800s for track events, but RB said they're not designed for wheel to wheel if that's what you're doing. They said the 800s are streetable, but it seemed that they'll make HP+ noise. Haven't tried them as I'm running on street tires, and the ET500s have been more than capable.
With anti-squeal fluid applied to the backing plate, the HP+ is silent, except when the weather drops below 45 degrees. What have you noticed as far as noise and dust goes?

As I understand it, the ET500 is probably the perfect "street only" brake, with better stopping power than the Ferodo HT1000 and Hawk HPS, yet with almost no dust or noise. A solid upgrade, but not suited to aggressive, repeated punishment without ample time to cool down. That's what I've heard, anyway.

Originally Posted by GXP25
I have a question unrelated to your questions: why are you buying new rear calipers? Cosmetic reasons?
New calipers cost $90. Rebuilding my old ones will cost me only about $25, but of rather not deal with the time and mess.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Girodisc or Coleman 2-piece front rotors (I looked at the 370x34mm RB rotors, but +8.6% surface area is not worth 2x cost)
So are you sticking with V1 size rotors? Or do those guys have V2 rotors, too? If so, link please. Not that I really need any more rotors at this point, but for future reference...

For me, the brake could produce as much dust as the surface of the moon, so long as I can easily remove it. Right now, I'm favoring the RacingBrake ET800, but I'm open to suggestions. Not interested in any Carbotech products or the Ferodo DS2500.
I was originally thinking that you took those last two off the list because they were too expensive, but then I looked at the RB prices. Yikes! So I take it the Carbotechs and DS2500s make dust of the concrete variety?

I already have the Goodri[dge] kit, but I still have a soft pedal despite replacing my master cylinder and going to my local Cadillac dealership to have them run a Tech 2 ABS solenoid purge. As I recall, Luke @ Lindsay is selling a kit, RacingBrake has a kit, and Agency Power has a kit. Do you recommend that I stick with what I have, or jump ship?
I suppose it's not a huge investment to try a different brand, but I wouldn't expect there to be any difference in feel. Braided SS lines are braided SS lines - the only reason to differentiate between them is the method of construction, and typically that's the same, too.

With anti-squeal fluid applied to the backing plate every 3-4 weeks, the HP+ is silent...
Fixed to reflect the maintenance interval apparently required to make that statement true.

As I understand it, the ET500 is probably the perfect "street only" brake, with better stopping power than the Ferodo HT1000 and Hawk HPS, yet with almost no dust or noise. A solid upgrade, but not suited to aggressive, repeated punishment without ample time to cool down.
So are you looking for street pads or track pads.

I'm just running Hawk HPSs up front, which are less aggressive than the HP+s so I imagine they don't suit your desires. I've seen plenty of internet griping that the HPSs are terrible, but they've worked out great for me thus far. I know I've read of some of the V2 folks running Hawk DTC30s on the street - you might want to look for reviews of those.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:24 AM
TECH Regular

The ET500s provide quiet, solid stopping power on the street. I use them fr/rr with RB rotors all around. RB said they can handle mild HPDE work, but they're not designed for it. The 800s are better suited, but for sticky tires and a better driver than me, the 900s may be the best bet, but they're not streetable at all according to RB. The 800s can be used on the street. I don't know their cold pad performance, so RB would be a better source of info. I haven't tried them yet, but I thought it'd be nice to swap pads at home, drive to the track, and keep the 500s in a box just in case. Plus, I won't be mixing pad manufacturers. I have been very satisfied with the 500s. They may not have super cold bite, but are very good; a bit of temp in them and they shine. No squeal and very little dust that washes off easily.

I can't say if it's the calipers AND the larger rotors, or one or the other, but the V2 caliper and V2 rotor swap makes a substantial difference in braking performance. Also consider the larger rotor acting as a better heat sink during track use.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Lubelizard, while the ET500s sound great from a maintenance perspective, I think that they'll quickly start to fade once you start to repeatedly beat on them (i.e. on twisties, during AutoX, or on the track). The saving grace of the HP+ is that it provides reliable and predictable braking power, no matter how hot things get or how long you beat on them. I'll try to call RacingBrake on Friday and talk to one of their guys about both compounds.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you planning on tracking your car or is this a cosmetic/need-something-to-do mod?

No offense on the later I think it's cool, just not sure how driving on the street would require an update from the stock brembos.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MN_V
Are you planning on tracking your car or is this a cosmetic/need-something-to-do mod?

No offense on the later I think it's cool, just not sure how driving on the street would require an update from the stock brembos.
I plan on tracking the car occasionally, participating in autocross events, and generally driving the car the way it was meant to be driven.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:59 PM
TECH Resident

Hey fuzzy what stops one from using cts hubs and v2 discs and calipers?
Old 08-28-2013, 10:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by serik21
I'm not sure I understand why you'd want to use CTS hubs. STS-V SKF X-Tracker hubs are where it's at.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:10 PM
TECH Resident

Well from what I remeber cts hubs fit and they are 5x120 same as v2 wheel pattern then you might be able to use v2 rotors and calipers if it all works out.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

Plus tons of aftermarket wheels
Old 08-29-2013, 10:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by serik21
Which CTS hubs? 1st gen are 5x115, so wrong bolt pattern to match the V2 brakes. 2nd gen don't have the ABS wheel speed sensors in the hub like the V1 hubs, so they're not compatible. It may be possible to reconfigure the V1 ABS wheel speed sensors to the V2 configuration, but I don't see the point in trying that.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there's a couple write-ups of this out there on how to switch to 5 lug conversion. Believe it is done with C5 hubs if memory serves me right.

Quick Reply: For V2 Caliper Upgrade - Pads/Lines Recommendations?