Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Fight Wheel Hop

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fight Wheel Hop

I for one believe that the unacceptable wheel hop is a legitimate manufacturer's defect. The only way any of us will get any satisfaction from GM/Cadillac is to formally complain to our dealer. While I don't view my V as as a dragster, a high performance 400 hp luxury sedan should not be plagued with severe wheel hop. I noticed the new 300C doing a burnout during a review on Speed Channel last weekend. Visit your dealer, complain and report back.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I went to the local Cadillac dealer, and raised hell about this issue. He asked me to bring my car in to see if there were any suspension issues that should be addressed. I of course don't actually own a V, so I left politely. I had your back, though!
Old 05-04-2004, 02:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yea, it is horrible, I can't wait to see what happens when More performance goes out and tests the procharger on the car
Old 05-04-2004, 11:07 AM
Teching In

I totally agree!!! What pi$$es me off the most, is the fact that Cadillac HAD TO KNOW about the wheel hop issue through all of the road testing, R & D, etc., and yet they STILL released the CTS-V with out first rectifying the problem. I love the car, don't get me wrong, and I will continue my plan to purchase one, but shame on you Cadillac for not adressing this in the first place.

-Matt
Old 05-04-2004, 11:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BowenCT
I totally agree!!! What pi$$es me off the most, is the fact that Cadillac HAD TO KNOW about the wheel hop issue through all of the road testing, R & D, etc., and yet they STILL released the CTS-V with out first rectifying the problem. I love the car, don't get me wrong, and I will continue my plan to purchase one, but shame on you Cadillac for not adressing this in the first place.

-Matt
And the more power you put in the car the worse it gets.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:17 PM
TECH Veteran

The wheel hop issue seriously derails the car's accleration. It probably would hit 4.7 seconds to 60 if it didn't exist, but instead it falls short at 5.3 or so, which is what a Pontiac GTO can do.

What's worse, none of the European supersedans from Audi, BMW or Mercedes are plagued with this type of problem. This is a big black eye on the V program, and something they cannot afford to overlook.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:57 PM
Teching In

I contacted Cadillac customer service (800-333-4223) and they opened a case for me about the wheel hop. They want me to have the dealer diagnose the problem so I have an appt Friday morning. Everyone with a V should go through this procedure and put the heat on Cadillac to provide a fix to the defect.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

My understanding of wheel hop leads me to believe a shock change could dramatically help the situation. What is funny, is GM has the magnetic shock that they love to brag about and it could possibly be a cure or a very good bandaid. I bet with some of their computer talent and a set of those magnetic shocks on the CTS-V, they could come up with an algorythm that reduces the wheel hop at low speed, heavy throttle....Just a thought.

I can tell you first hand that our Escalade is in need of some spring rate improvements, but even at 6000+ lbs and very light spring rates, those shocks can eliminate all secondary movement after a suspension movement. Very capable system, just needs some of their PCM think tank put into it.

Todd
Old 05-08-2004, 10:05 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
My understanding of wheel hop leads me to believe a shock change could dramatically help the situation. What is funny, is GM has the magnetic shock that they love to brag about and it could possibly be a cure or a very good bandaid. I bet with some of their computer talent and a set of those magnetic shocks on the CTS-V, they could come up with an algorythm that reduces the wheel hop at low speed, heavy throttle....Just a thought.

I can tell you first hand that our Escalade is in need of some spring rate improvements, but even at 6000+ lbs and very light spring rates, those shocks can eliminate all secondary movement after a suspension movement. Very capable system, just needs some of their PCM think tank put into it.

Todd
I wonder...there is a shock package that is offered as an option (dealer installed) for $1260. Do you think that would cure the wheel hop issue? And, has anyone here got that option with their car? Its on the options list at the Caddy website...check it out.
Old 05-08-2004, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

CAL on the caddy web forum has ordered a set and promises a full report. He also upgraded to Michelin Pilots (not run flats) and says it "helps but doesn't cure wheel hop". We'll see. I posted the idea of the Magnetic Shocks about a month ago and still can't believe the engineers didn't use that as the obvious solution. I'll bet the gen 2 V has 'em, 'cause the GMPD doesn't want to give up the IRS. We'll see.
Old 05-08-2004, 06:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cvp33
CAL on the caddy web forum has ordered a set and promises a full report. He also upgraded to Michelin Pilots (not run flats) and says it "helps but doesn't cure wheel hop". We'll see. I posted the idea of the Magnetic Shocks about a month ago and still can't believe the engineers didn't use that as the obvious solution. I'll bet the gen 2 V has 'em, 'cause the GMPD doesn't want to give up the IRS. We'll see.

Went to the local Caddy dealer today and am seriously considering getting a V. It is one sweet ride. I even get the GM Supplier discount which makes it better. The car on the lot that they had, had the shock package as an option (dealer installed). I inquired about getting more information about it but their head tech person was out. Another tech guy said that I wouldn't want it b/c it would really make the car too stiff. IMO, there ain't nothing wrong with that. Before I plunk down any loot, I'd like to know more about this wheel hop issue too, since if a young punk in a WRX STi pulls up next to me, I want to make sure the wheel hop demons won't slow me down.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by vmaniac
I contacted Cadillac customer service (800-333-4223) and they opened a case for me about the wheel hop. They want me to have the dealer diagnose the problem so I have an appt Friday morning. Everyone with a V should go through this procedure and put the heat on Cadillac to provide a fix to the defect.

I agree with you. I am going to call Monday and get a file started. I'll also make an appt with my local dealer. Although I didn't buy the car from them, I know the GM very well and I'm sure they'll do all they can to help. EVERYONE!! needs to call the above number and get some attention on this!
Old 05-09-2004, 09:48 AM
TECH Junkie

What rear tire pressures are you running?An over inflated tire acts like a stiffer spring.Cadillac may use a higher tire pressure to enhance handling and fuel economy at the expense of a wheel hop problem which most of it's owner will never encounter.Before you spend money,pull out the tire gauge.The ultimate solution may be better shocks and a wider section rear tire run at a lower tire pressure.
Old 05-09-2004, 04:27 PM
Teching In

The thing about run flats is that they have such a stiff sidewall that even as you lower the pressure, you can only do so much to "soften" the tire and thus change the spring rate. I'm sure a little lower will help some, but not a lot.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

While tire pressure, stiffer shocks and stickier tires may all help the V, none will cure the wheel hop. I'm interested in what Mallet and others come up with for their V's. They are posting some serious HP increases and MUST address the wheel hop issue if they intend to put that power to the ground.

As far as STi's, Evo's and others, most graduated 0-120mph test have the V taking over both at between 80 and 100 mph. The V has a ton more torque it's just the traction and mass issues it has to overcome. Most "rolling" street races will be won by the V stock vs. stock.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:42 PM
Teching In

I know that the cadillac customer service open these case for people (like me) but they really have no idea what u are talkign about. They send you to technitions who have never driven the car. I think it wont help, but it wont hurt. And i have ran a 13.3 on the 1/4 mile stock, so i think it is faster then the GTO!
Old 05-12-2004, 09:57 PM
Teching In

Caddillac im sure is very interested in the V's wheel hop issue but unless there's a safty issue they will not recall them they will more tnan likley correct it for the following model year.

I am a proud owner of a V and also work on Cadillacs in the Chicago burbs and as soon as theres a fix or a bulletin i will pass it on.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:46 PM
Launching!

I am in aggreance with you all that GM should do something about this. Because guess what, if you let it go to long, you WILL explode the diff. Not very cool, especially for a $50000 sedan. Just my 2 cents

Last edited by MSURacing; 05-13-2004 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:48 PM
Teching In

I actually hope diffs do start exploding.....under warranty that is. This will FORCE Cadillac to rectify the problem.......because that's exactly what it is, a problem and they desperately need a solution.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:02 PM
Teching In

Cadillac CTS-V Rear Suspension Snubbers by Lingenfelter
Code:LN4221
Price: $199.95

helps 75% of the hop

Quick Reply: Fight Wheel Hop