Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What did you do to your V today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2021, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Rolled 159,000 miles during a trip home for Christmas. About 750mi round trip, so it's already most of the way towards rolling 160,000.
Old 12-29-2021, 01:49 PM
Launching!

Received 98 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Byron
Got my clutch switch swapped out, had to use a shop for the first time in a long time. After getting a plate installed in my hand back in September, my hand doesn't always want to bend the way it used to.

She starts without jumping the relay finally. Now to get the interior put back together and get her registered for the next year. Had to go through the wire harness after I found a screw through the mirror light harness and the rear passenger side harness.

-Byron
Man that job sucks, can't blame you for taking it to a shop even if you had a healthy hand, hope you get better soon Byron.
The genius previous owner of my V was too lazy to push the clutch to start the car, who needs safety? So he jerry rigged the clutch switch to be always on, which I think also means he had no cruise control right? Don't thin he even noticed.

I had get in the most uncomfortable position lying on my back on the driver seat to install a new OEM replacement.

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Rolled 159,000 miles during a trip home for Christmas. About 750mi round trip, so it's already most of the way towards rolling 160,000.
Keep it up, a well driven V is a good V. I have daily driven mine ever since I got it at a 100K, but despite my best efforts I only have 20K to show for it in 2.5 years hah.
I hope to God I get to add a couple hundred K miles to it at least, that would be sweet. I don't drive it in the winter though, so probably won't be happening in a short period of time.
Old 12-30-2021, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by CTSM
Man that job sucks, can't blame you for taking it to a shop even if you had a healthy hand, hope you get better soon Byron.
The genius previous owner of my V was too lazy to push the clutch to start the car, who needs safety? So he jerry rigged the clutch switch to be always on, which I think also means he had no cruise control right? Don't thin he even noticed.

I had get in the most uncomfortable position lying on my back on the driver seat to install a new OEM replacement.

Keep it up, a well driven V is a good V. I have daily driven mine ever since I got it at a 100K, but despite my best efforts I only have 20K to show for it in 2.5 years hah.
I hope to God I get to add a couple hundred K miles to it at least, that would be sweet. I don't drive it in the winter though, so probably won't be happening in a short period of time.

Usually I just remove the driver's seat and lay out on the floor board. Makes jobs like that, and the brake pedal position switch much easier to do.

The plate comes out in February, so hopefully I'll be back at 100% after.

Now to finish installing the A pillar.

-Byron
Old 01-01-2022, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Added a little visual horsepower to the car, and hopefully some additional visibility.

These side marker led lights are pretty slick and seems to perfectly compliment the paint work I had done earlier this past summer. The quality of the lights has improved over the last set I saw. Plenty of light and they don't make the car hyper flash.

-Byron

Old 01-02-2022, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

I have those ^^^^ installed, too. Went from the tinted style to the tinted LED style. I like 'em, I think they look sharp.
The following users liked this post:
Byron (01-04-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well the official tally is in. RIP dorman driveshaft. Install June 2017 died 2 Feb 22 at 85k miles.

I'm going to rebuild it or get a new one under the lifetime warranty.

I consider it money well spent. 2 very different power levels, 2 different transmissions, 2 diffs, all the abuse a Dubai highway can throw at it and 85k miles. No slinging grease or CV joint failures.

All in all I stand by my recommendation of them. Have the 2 piece DSS shaft I've sat on 3 years now going in this afternoon.

-Byron
Old 02-03-2022, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

First impression about the DSS 2 piece shaft is very positive.

So far it's very smooth, and it seems like the car is happy with the shaft also. It feels very linear on power delivery now, and there doesn't appear to be any driveline flex going on.

I took the time years ago to ensure everything was lined up perfect on the driveline, so now it's just a plug and play operation with the new shaft.

I'll be chucking it back up in the air in a few weeks after about 1k miles to verify everything is clean, tight and functioning properly.

-Byron
Old 03-30-2022, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

- Installed my summer wheels & tires today. Not sure if the cold weather is truly done yet, but I've still got winter tires on my beater Subaru, which does most of the daily driving these days, anyway. Elected to go with 2 different wheel styles since I've got 2 sets of summers (1 complete, 1 missing a front wheel), so the Linea Corse Venetos are on the driver side and the CCWs are on the passenger side.

- Picked up some fog/DRL harnesses from the junkyard last weekend. I've had recurring issues with the connectors developing bad connections over time, and even cleaning and trying to bend the contacts to fix the issue hasn't always worked. So, I chopped a couple out a car in the junkyard and will get around to splicing them in at some point soon. (I've got the fast blinker going on right now for the passenger side, which has been annoying me and prompted the junkyard trip.)
Old 04-04-2022, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

Peeled the airbag warning label off the driver side sun visor while I was waiting at a couple traffic lights the other day. A couple of the corners had started to peel, and I started pulling at it, and once I started that it had to come off.

Ooooh! So clean!! I never sit in the passenger seat, so it's unlikely I'll ever bother peeling that one off to match.
Old 07-17-2022, 11:14 PM
TECH Addict

- Changed the oil for the first time in an embarrassingly long time. It's been since November... of 2020. Oops. Not a ton of miles, only about 7300, but I completely lost track of how long it had been time-wise. For a number of years I've been changing the oil more frequently than is "normal" because I was doing a couple/few HPDEs each year, but I didn't get to any in 2021, so I think that's part of what threw me off.

- Prior to doing the oil change I took a quick spin to Home Depot to pick up some stuff and warm up the oil a bit to make it easier to drain. I drove the car as recently as a couple days ago and it was fine, but this time I could immediately feel it was misfiring. Didn't pop a code until I was on the way home (it's only about a 5mi round trip), at which point it popped P0308 and P0358. So, while I was changing the oil I also installed a new coil on #8. I think it's the first time I've ever replaced one - I bought a full set a couple years ago when I was having a misfire issue, but I ended up finding a different problem, so the set of coils has just been sitting on the shelf. Almost 161k miles, so not too shabby!

- After the oil and coil changes, I washed it for the first time in forever. It was actually lightly raining when I started, but it had been so long since I washed it I figured the rain didn't matter. It was a year and a day since the last time I had posted in this thread that I washed it, so I think that's probably the last time it was done.

Last edited by AAIIIC; 09-09-2022 at 09:05 AM.
CTSM (07-18-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Dusted the cobwebs off mine on Saturday and took it to the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix again. Fount out on the way there as it hit mid 80’s by 10:30AM that my AC no longer works. Took my Raptor on Sunday lol. I think I’ll just let my shop troubleshoot it. It’s due for inspection anyways. I put like 500 miles on it in the last 3-4 years so who knows what it could be.
Old 07-26-2022, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was there with 57 Studebaker Golden Hawk. Wish I would have seen your V
Old 09-09-2022, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

- Rolled 161k miles a few days ago.
- After replacing the #8 coil 6 weeks or so ago I'm still getting a P0358 code, and can sometimes feel the car misfiring. I pulled out the FSM last night to see what it says about that DTC; looks like I need to pull out the ol' multimeter to do some checking.
Old 09-20-2022, 01:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove her 100 miles

First time out the garage in a while... put 100 miles on her gettin in the 23 24 mpg range not bad...
Old 09-24-2022, 10:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Bought me a V1 today.....
rjoffe (09-28-2022)
Old 10-01-2022, 02:32 PM
Teching In

Send pics!
Old 10-09-2022, 10:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JEFFCTSVMANW
Send pics!
This is the day I drove her home. Took off the plasti-dip on the wheels since then. Also doing a few other appearance things to it. Currently on the hunt for the “V” badges since previous owner had them removed.

Old 10-18-2022, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine is still stuck in transit at LAX port. Sigh. Maybe another 2-3 months before it arrives.

On the plus side....it's all packed up and ready to ship if anyone is hunting for a clean 06 with fresh paint and interior.

-Byron

Old 10-25-2022, 05:46 PM
Teching In

Took my V to get inspected at "new place to me". Friends of a mechanic friend. They crashed it !☹😤
So bad airbag driver side went off, headlight Pass side smashed, hood curled,pass fender moved, radiator leak from support puncture, grille toast. They asked me if that was aftermarket. Dumbasses!!
Old 10-25-2022, 09:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JEFFCTSVMANW
Took my V to get inspected at "new place to me". Friends of a mechanic friend. They crashed it !☹😤
So bad airbag driver side went off, headlight Pass side smashed, hood curled,pass fender moved, radiator leak from support puncture, grille toast. They asked me if that was aftermarket. Dumbasses!!
Someone would die….

Quick Reply: What did you do to your V today?