Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

steering rack failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by philistine
Top - replacement ps cooler. Bottom - OEM ps cooler.
I asked the question on the other forums and the consensus was no problem. Now that I see its size on the mount I worry that being unsupported the metal will fatigue from the vibration and separate the top of the cooler.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You're overthinking it. Once you install it, your fears will be set at ease. It's light and strong.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the new PS cooler sitting in a box so, today, I went ahead and upgraded mine. Super easy - well under an hour to do it. My only note:

The inlet/outlet on the new cooler are slightly smaller in diameter than the stock cooler had. I didn't have confidence that the stock hose clamps would seal very well, so I changed mine to worm gear clamps. We'll see how that goes.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I got the one in this thread. Mine groaned when it got cold. I topped the fluid and it went away. Hopefully the bigger cooler and fluid with stop leak saves it.

It is a 2005 and only has 31k. I'm working on changing all the fluids in the next year. I can't tell if the brake fluid is blue or just black. Pretty sure the previous owner barely drove it. Had it from 08-12 and only put 5k on it.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have my old rack with one bad seal if any of you guys need it for a core/rebuild
Old 12-09-2013, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmargo
I asked the question on the other forums and the consensus was no problem. Now that I see its size on the mount I worry that being unsupported the metal will fatigue from the vibration and separate the top of the cooler.
It's fine. I've probably put 20k miles on mine and maybe 12ish track days or more. No problems. As mentioned, it's really light.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
You're overthinking it. Once you install it, your fears will be set at ease.
Fuzzy, this quote is going to come back and haunt you......muahahahaha!
Old 12-09-2013, 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 54inches
Fuzzy, this quote is going to come back and haunt you......muahahahaha!
You should add that to your quote signature. Btw, gimmie my shifter!

So far I ordered a new power steering line - the high pressure one. I also ordered new inner tie rods. Along with having the steering rack rebuilt, I'm going to explore my options having the ps pump rebuilt as well.

I'm not sure yet but I think Turn One can reduce the pressure by augmenting the ps pump which would add more driver feedback with handling. I believe this would also reduce that silky smooth effortless parking lot turning though.

If I can get something that improves handling that doesn't feel like a 'race car' and reduce my temps I'll be very happy. Otherwise, all stock going back in with the exception of the massive ps cooler.

Last edited by philistine; 12-09-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

have you considered upgrading to AN fittings/lines? it's crossed my mind...
Old 12-10-2013, 11:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jclayc
have you considered upgrading to AN fittings/lines? it's crossed my mind...
Now that everything is removed, it's crossed my mind but I believe the high pressure line is for about 1200-1500 psi??? I ordered a stock replacement for that.

The silicone hose for the cooler is in good shape but I have replacement for that when I give it a more detailed check. The Fluidyne ps cooler I have is equipped with barbs so would still have to clamp it on there with a worm gear style clamp.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You should add that to your quote signature. Btw, gimmie my shifter!

So far I ordered a new power steering line - the high pressure one. I also ordered new inner tie rods. Along with having the steering rack rebuilt, I'm going to explore my options having the ps pump rebuilt as well.

I'm not sure yet but I think Turn One can reduce the pressure by augmenting the ps pump which would add more driver feedback with handling. I believe this would also reduce that silky smooth effortless parking lot turning though.

If I can get something that improves handling that doesn't feel like a 'race car' and reduce my temps I'll be very happy. Otherwise, all stock going back in with the exception of the massive ps cooler.
I've thought about it. lol

We got word that the parts just shipped out. This is the 2nd time they have told us that.

This will be the last run of shifters.

The next batch will be a group buy as we don't see that much interest so far. With that said, there have been a TON of tire-kickers.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 54inches

This will be the last run of shifters.

The next batch will be a group buy as we don't see that much interest so far. With that said, there have been a TON of tire-kickers.

Give it time, I'm sure it has made the mod list of quite a few out there. I've had Swift springs on my list of mods to do based on Fuzzy's write up on the K-dubs. Just haven't gotten there yet but it's around the corner.

I jumped on your shifter because it was the 'right' time for me.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

I jumped on your shifter because it was the 'right' time for me.
That's what she said
Old 12-10-2013, 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

Damn! gonna have to start proof reading before I hit reply - haha
Old 01-07-2014, 12:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Ugh. Another late night.

For those of you who that are just tuning in, I had one of the hoses connected to the Fluidyne FHP-10029 blow off as I was pulling up to a stoplight. Thinking that it might have been a fluke, I reconnected the line and it happened again shortly thereafter.

A few hours ago, I replaced the OEM hose clips with worm gear clamps. Result: the feed line exploded right next to the worm gear clamp. I took the Fluidyne FHP-10029 off the car, and found that it was partially clogged. It's been below freezing out here for a while, so I figured that there might have been water in my power steering fluid and that it froze. After letting the cooler warm up inside the house, it seemed to start flowing again, but I was unwilling to reinstall it because the thin, paralleled tubes would likely be susceptible to the same thing again.

It may be hard to see the split, but believe me, when the system is pressurized, this opening was gushing fluid

Fortunately, when I bought the FHP-10029, I also bought a slightly nicer
Derale 13103 Derale 13103
(7000 series) cooler. Originally, I thought I'd use it as a cheap way to help prototype an improved, hybrid brake/PS cooling duct in the foglamp area. But later on, I found out that the Derale 9000 and 10000 series coolers would be far more effective for a given size, and support real, NPT/AN style connectors that can handle very high pressures. So I stuck the Derale 13103 in storage for a rainy day (or night, as it turned out).

If I wasn't crunched for time, I would have purchased a Derale 9000 or 10000 series cooler, which have better mounting brackets, but the included hardware was more than sufficient to very securely attach the cooler to the OEM power steering bracket. I'm going outside right now to install it on the car and test the system, so I'll probably have more for you soon...

Front side

Back side
Old 01-07-2014, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Ugh. Another late night.

For those of you who that are just tuning in, I had one of the hoses connected to the Fluidyne FHP-10029 blow off as I was pulling up to a stoplight. Thinking that it might have been a fluke, I reconnected the line and it happened again shortly thereafter.

A few hours ago, I replaced the OEM hose clips with worm gear clamps. Result: the feed line exploded right next to the worm gear clamp. I took the Fluidyne FHP-10029 off the car, and found that it was partially clogged. It's been below freezing out here for a while, so I figured that there might have been water in my power steering fluid and that it froze. After letting the cooler warm up inside the house, it seemed to start flowing again, but I was unwilling to reinstall it because the thin, paralleled tubes would likely be susceptible to the same thing again.

It may be hard to see the split, but believe me, when the system is pressurized, this opening was gushing fluid

Fortunately, when I bought the FHP-10029, I also bought a slightly nicer Derale 13103 (7000 series) cooler. Originally, I thought I'd use it as a cheap way to help prototype an improved, hybrid brake/PS cooling duct in the foglamp area. But later on, I found out that the Derale 9000 and 10000 series coolers would be far more effective for a given size, and support real, NPT/AN style connectors that can handle very high pressures. So I stuck the Derale 13103 in storage for a rainy day (or night, as it turned out).

If I wasn't crunched for time, I would have purchased a Derale 9000 or 10000 series cooler, which have better mounting brackets, but the included hardware was more than sufficient to very securely attach the cooler to the OEM power steering bracket. I'm going outside right now to install it on the car and test the system, so I'll probably have more for you soon...

Front side

Back side
I'm not surprised by this... As I have show previously mine exploded at the track. I switched to the same cooler you listed above and no problems since then. I have a feeling the inlet design and manufactured quality is insufficient for our applications.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

yeah, this seals it for me that I'm not going to keep the Fluidyne FHP-10029. even before running it, I was nervous about the connections on it... now the question is to AN or not to AN? and whether to run something more like AFCO 37600 so I'm not blocked by my external oil cooler mounted up front...
Old 01-07-2014, 10:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Good news and bad news: the cooler works perfectly. If anything, the steering wheel feels lighter than before, although that might be the placebo effect. Bad news is that I hit a patch of ice and curbed one of my Forgestars. I wrote them an email, asking whether they do repairs or if I'll have to buy a whole new set.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:41 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jclayc
yeah, this seals it for me that I'm not going to keep the Fluidyne FHP-10029. even before running it, I was nervous about the connections on it... now the question is to AN or not to AN? and whether to run something more like AFCO 37600 so I'm not blocked by my external oil cooler mounted up front...
Regarding the -AN fittings, the rack and power steering pump still have slip-on fittings. So you can put -AN fittings on the cooler but you will have barbed/slip-on fittings on the other end. I really don't see the benefit because end-to-end is not threaded.

For example, you could have -AN fittings on the cooler but if the differential pressure is 'enough' it could blow off the rack or the power steering pump.

I think going with -AN fittings is an added expense that is really not needed but if the cooler you are going with requires it...go with it. You can tie it in with the existing plumbing.

Here is an example I posted on the duplicate thread in the Caddy forum where -AN fittings were used:

Darkman (no idea where he went) used a different cooler. Take a look in this thread:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post1958019

It's pricey but if you want something more robust and nice AN fittings...this is the way to go.

Fluidyne DB 30216
Old 01-07-2014, 11:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

upgrading the pump to one with AN outs would be part of the project but I also might try plumbing the rest to AN... not likely, at least not now

Quick Reply: steering rack failure