Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

steering rack failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 07:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default steering rack failure

The seals in my steering rack have failed. Here is a pic where I cleaned the area for inspection:

Take notice of the lower control arm. I sprayed it with brake cleaner - driver side.

Here is driving it 20 miles after just one day. The power steering fluid is weeping through the bellows boot wrapped around the inner tie rod.

The leak is coming from the seals where the inner tie rod fastens into the rack. I searched the forums here and elsewhere (and some help) and I noticed this is not an isolated occurrence. There is some confusion where to source another rack - many choices. It seems getting a brand new OEM replacement is not only expensive but also difficult to source. The refurbished units come in a variety where you could end up with something that doesn't fit or encountering the same leak soon after install.

I contacted Turn One and spoke with Jeff and discussed my options. Basically, they rebuild a lot of steering racks. He quoted me $200 for the entire service and includes dyno testing - they also use all OEM parts/seals. I was puzzled why my steering rack took a dump and he explained he was familiar with the cts-v and explained the steering pump produces excessive heat and is a root cause. It breaks down the seals over time and the cooler is insufficient for maintaining a safe operating threshold esp for sporting events.

Anyways, to avoid getting a wrong part or a 'lemon' replacement, I decided to have the steering rack rebuilt. It is not a quick turnaround time - 3-4 weeks as they have high volume this time of year when sporting events are over and everyone is scrambling to replace/rebuild components. Instead of replacing the steering pump, I'm installing a bigger Fluidyne power steering cooler and replacing all the weeping lines.

Just thought I would pass it along - thoughts/comments are welcome.

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2013, 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My opinion would have been to get the rebuild also. Is the cts rack possibly the same? Also when I was researching before buying my V, points were made to check if the boots were ballooned up with steering fluid.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by voodoochikin04
My opinion would have been to get the rebuild also. Is the cts rack possibly the same? Also when I was researching before buying my V, points were made to check if the boots were ballooned up with steering fluid.
I came across so many different part numbers that said 'will fit cts-v' but identical applications for the regular cts etc. I decided to make a call and get the details. Apparently, a rebuild is the way to go although very time consuming waiting for turnaround. I got other cars to drive so it's a small impact to get it done right.

The word I got is there are many defective racks out there for sale branded as refurbished with bad parts/workmanship etc. I'm not risking getting a loose rack or rupturing another seal.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cleveland pick a part has some. I just replaced mine as well
Old 12-06-2013, 05:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you guys think these are failing due to track time?
Old 12-06-2013, 07:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 69stangscj
Do you guys think these are failing due to track time?
Given the vendor information that Philistine received and the number of people that have had similar problems, it sounds like the seals are failing under normal street conditions (with the caveat that "normal" varies greatly from driver to driver). The vendor indicated that he thought the problem was with the power steering pump alone, but I personally suspect that the abnormally high temperatures are partly the fault of the poor cooling capability of the OEM cooler.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 12-06-2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think cold also has something to do with premature pump life which in turn affects the racks. I used to also have pretty bad "groaning", etc in really cold temps. Others have reported similar experiences. The "good" thing is these rebuilt racks aren't THAT expensive unless you need to replace your whole damn cradle like I did...
Old 12-07-2013, 09:27 PM
TECH Regular

The leak went unnoticed until I have a tear in the boot.

The seals were completely shot on both sides. The passenger side boot was completely filled but the boot wasn't torn so it didn't leak.

Removed the inner tie rods and cleaned it up a bit to get ready to ship to Turn One.

Here is the part number that came out of the car.

Some replacement racks have different features with the threaded penetrations. Here is a close up.

Top - replacement ps cooler. Bottom - OEM ps cooler.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

What is the part number for the cooler your using?
Old 12-07-2013, 09:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 69stangscj
What is the part number for the cooler your using?
Fuzzy-L found that on ebay awhile ago and a few snatched them up. They are still available.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Fluidyne-EXTRA-Heavy-Duty-V8-Towing-RV-Automatic-Transmission-Cooler-New-/221244228976?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item33832f0570&vxp=mtr
Old 12-07-2013, 09:53 PM
TECH Resident

These racks are easy to take apart. Very few internals. Ever considered replacing seals yourself?
Old 12-07-2013, 10:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by voodoochikin04
These racks are easy to take apart. Very few internals. Ever considered replacing seals yourself?
Yeah, I've done depot level work a few times but just in case it's not just the seals, I'll pay for the service and testing. I'm not the original owner and not sure if the previous owner put some fluid in there that destroyed the seals - need it flushed.

But yeah, I did consider it but want some expert eyeballs on it.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

This thread is scaring me into doing a p/s cooler upgrade. It looks like very little custom work is needed to run that cooler you posted. A couple holes drilled into the cooler bracket and that's it?
Old 12-07-2013, 10:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bmylez
This thread is scaring me into doing a p/s cooler upgrade. It looks like very little custom work is needed to run that cooler you posted. A couple holes drilled into the cooler bracket and that's it?
Basically, yeah that's it. Just reuse the original ps cooler bracket and drill new holes in the replacement oil cooler.

I ignored all the symptoms of my power steering system having trouble. With just a cap full less than full, it would make horrible noises - like an exhaust pipe huggin' the chassis. Then during competitions, I would add a lot of power steering fluid - constantly topping it off.

I purchased the cooler awhile ago, just putting it off for other stuff. Now, well...I have no choice. I put mods > maintenance...lesson learned. I'm now looking at a getting my rack rebuilt, replacing my ps pump, new inner/outer tie rods, and new ps lines. All that and then of course an alignment - no hp gains with this crap, just headache.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

So it uses the stock lines and everything as well? I already ordered it
Old 12-07-2013, 10:50 PM
TECH Regular

Yep, the cooler I installed is a little different than the Cadillac faq's but the one in the faq's has been discontinued - there are minor differences but pretty much the same.

Here you go:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/steeringcooler/
Old 12-07-2013, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

all this rack talk got me real damn horny pal
Old 12-07-2013, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's one of the easiest, cheapest, and straightforward yet effective mods that I've done to my car. I always forget about it though when people ask for initial mod suggestions.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Great info Phil!
Old 12-08-2013, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

To add part numbers, it appears everyone is using the Fluidyne FHP-10029.

Fluidyne also made a FHP-10026, which was the exact same as the 10029, but just a little smaller, but rated at the same BTU; 18,000.

Quick Reply: steering rack failure