Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

2004 CTS-V: Track results inside.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im glad to see someone finally putting a built rear to good use, great time and i look forward to your future runs.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Next time can you have you girlfriend stand like 3/4 front view... Wanna see if the front wheels get off the ground after you get the wheel hop sorted out.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

For those who missed it Here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...-ls7-sale.html

And here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...installed.html

OP you have worlds of improvement yet with this car. Looking at your coil over thread my recommendation would be:

CS Trailing arms with ballistic joint
Trailing arm bushings
Cradle bushings
Rear upper control arm bushings
(All bushings should be the 95a harder ones)
and the heim joint CS toe rods.

(total approw 830$ with out your new found discount!)

That should get rid of A LOT of hop.

If you want more tire you can have your wheels widened to 10" (been done before) which fit with the CS trailing arms, and a 295 drag radial. 305's have been done with a 5mm wheel spacer and trailing arms along with rolled fenders, so there is that. Then there is the guy who did some major mods to his fender wells.....I think LS247 found him....not sure what tires he got to fit.

Either way, that 265 seems to hook ok. Get rid of the hop and you should cut a 1.6 60' easy.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Then there is the guy who did some major mods to his fender wells.....I think LS247 found him....not sure what tires he got to fit.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ming-soon.html
Old 06-04-2014, 09:11 AM
TECH Addict

Yup. there you go. He did all that just to get a 305 to fit in the stock offset, when it could be done with a different wheel, or running a spacer.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work! By the time I get back to DC, this car is going to be in the low 10s
Old 06-04-2014, 11:43 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This makes me want to speed up getting my turbos on my 427 in the WORST way. Awesome runs!
Old 06-04-2014, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
This makes me want to speed up getting my turbos on my 427 in the WORST way. Awesome runs!
You better square that 8.8 away first. I'm pretty sure your stock rear would finally throw up the middle finger and die
Old 06-04-2014, 12:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
You better square that 8.8 away first. I'm pretty sure your stock rear would finally throw up the middle finger and die
UPS says the rest of the parts will be here today for Brians 8.8.

I'm thinking that's about as "squared away" as it get's. And if he doesn't drag his feet for too long there will be plenty of season left to beat on it.

These are good times to buy stock in Mickey Thompson
Old 06-04-2014, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

lol^^^^ what he said^^^^ Brian I cant wait to see what you do with and without those turbos!!!!! Hurry up mang! lol
Old 06-04-2014, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Weren't those cs 8.8 rears suppose to have the anti wheel hop axels? Or am I wrong
Old 06-04-2014, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
Weren't those cs 8.8 rears suppose to have the anti wheel hop axels? Or am I wrong
Yes, they are DSS axles...however, you do realize that just because something is "anti-wheelhop" it's not magic and can't compensate for the super squishy OEM bushings all over the place. We're talking about 750whp here, not some regular bolt-on car.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bmylez
Yes, they are DSS axles...however, you do realize that just because something is "anti-wheelhop" it's not magic and can't compensate for the super squishy OEM bushings all over the place. We're talking about 750whp here, not some regular bolt-on car.
Well I don't know man, that's why i asked. I saw it bounce pretty harsh in those videos he posted, then on others it was non existent; I envisioned the 8.8 swap to reduce the wheel hop to a manageable level, then seeing it hop like that makes me confused.

Our 8.8 differential swap also reduces wheel hop to an absolute minimum. Many factors come in to play when "wheel hop" is discussed, such as road conditions, tire choice, and the condition of every rubber component in the drive train. The CTS is in fact a Cadillac, passenger comfort was a high priority when these vehicles were designed. The soft rubber bushings through-out these cars are great for isolating road noise from the cabin, but are not a good choice when performance is the objective. Bottom line: the engineers working for Cadillac had to choose between customer comfort and clutch-dumping acceleration, then the marketing department got involved, they said "we'll sell more cars if they're comfy-quiet". So that's how CTS wheel hop was born......THE END.
Emphasis in bold, as to why I brought the question up.

So, if I understand this correctly, the 8.8 swap is just a piece of the puzzle to solve the wheel hop riddle?
Old 06-04-2014, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bmylez
With sticky tires.

Also, CV axels do not cause wheel hop. They can be used to help correct it, but that is a band aid, not a cure.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:44 PM
TECH Regular

So, if I understand this correctly, the 8.8 swap is just a piece of the puzzle to solve the wheel hop riddle?

The 8.8 is a readily available, relatively light, inexpensive, considerably strong replacement for the V1 that is as close to drop-in as you can get. The benefit of the 8.8 is it's strength; while the axles used in the swap help with hop, it won't eliminate it; the 8.8 simply assures you that your differential will *survive* the hop.

To stop hopping you need to stop the cradle from moving under load.

If the differential wasn't made of glass there would be no reason to have an 8.8 replacement option available.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Keep in mind guys. These cradle/subframe bushings have 117k miles on them. I would never have imagined they would cause that type of violent hop, orherwise they'd already gave been replaced. but it's a learning process. You are literally looking at this cars very first passes ever. There is a lot to work on and improve. Thats why you test. This is all foreign and new to me. In no way are we dealing with a finished product. Far from it
Old 06-04-2014, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Creative Steel

UPS says the rest of the parts will be here today for Brians 8.8.

I'm thinking that's about as "squared away" as it get's. And if he doesn't drag his feet for too long there will be plenty of season left to beat on it.

These are good times to buy stock in Mickey Thompson
I doubt he is going to drag his feet. He's probably ready to abuse that thing like a cheap hooker.

That statement seem intentionally confusing. Yes it will stop a lot of wheel hop but it is nearly impossible to stop it completely. Any kind of suspension. Or movement will induce hop. So the give in the bushings, the give in the suspension are huge variables. They do kind of get around it by saying the catch all about the road, tires, suspension and bushings... Etc. You put enough power through anything with a suspension and it will hop. Even a solid axle.

When the subframe moves as much as ours... Its hard to stop the hop... Can't stop the hop... Lol rhyme haha

Last edited by ryridesmotox; 06-04-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Car has never hopped on the steet w/ the 8.8. I was shocked when it did it at the track. Sticky pavement changes everything
Old 06-04-2014, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
I doubt he is going to drag his feet. He's probably ready to abuse that thing like a cheap hooker.

That statement is confusing. Yes it will stop a lot of wheel hop but it is nearly impossible to stop it completely. Any kind of suspension. Or movement will induce hop. So the give in the bushings, the give in the suspension are huge variables. The do kind of get around it by saying the catch all about the road, tires, suspension and bushings... Etc. You out enough power through anything with a suspension and it will hop. Even a solid axle.

When the subframe moves as much as ours... Its hard to stop the hop... Lol rhyme haha

trailingarmsvideo - YouTube
Ok,

That would make sense, so until the cradle bushings are addressed, the wheel hop will always be present.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gtistile
Car has never hopped on the steet w/ the 8.8. I was shocked when it did it at the track. Sticky pavement changes everything
That was what i was afraid of, hopping on the street.

Thanks for the feedback on that.

Quick Reply: 2004 CTS-V: Track results inside.