Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Stock 04 Maggie Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 08:29 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Stock 04 Maggie Tune?

Does anyone have the HPT tune for an 04 tune as sent by Magnuson with no other changes? I bought my car modified and the tune had been changed at least twice and I am trying to compare a few things. I checked the tune repository at HPtuners and there are only modified maggie tunes.

I'm also looking for a tune that has a maggie and an LS9 cam, which is what my plans are. I am trying to learn as much as possible about how these cars are tuned and the results. Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:14 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Stock 04 Maggie Tune?

Try hptuners website...
Old 06-25-2015, 11:39 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Magnuson tune is garbage. No VE or MAF changes at all. The only changes in the Magnuson tune are to PE, timing, injector data (which was incorrect for 60lb injectors), and torque management. The changes were so insignificant I didn't even save the calibration.

Here is the last Maggie tune I did on a high helix Maggie.
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
Russell2005CTS-V_Maggie_MAF.hpt (539.7 KB, 85 views)
Old 06-25-2015, 12:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DMM
The Magnuson tune is garbage. No VE or MAF changes at all. The only changes in the Magnuson tune are to PE, timing, injector data (which was incorrect for 60lb injectors), and torque management. The changes were so insignificant I didn't even save the calibration.

Here is the last Maggie tune I did on a high helix Maggie.
The injector data was one thing I was looking for. I have several other maggie tunes from the repository and the injector tables are different for all of them. I guess you can tune the other tables around different injector data but it seems like it would never be as good as it could be without knowing the correct flow for the injectors.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:21 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

What injectors do you have?
Old 06-26-2015, 04:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DMM
What injectors do you have?
60lb. But the PO's tuner reduced the table data to about 50-56. My tuner worked hard to get the tune right and was able to dial it in, even with the injector data set where it was. And with 500 rwhp, it's hard to argue the results. I am just trying to understand why.

Last edited by 97HawkLT1; 06-26-2015 at 04:32 AM.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't help you with the tune but what's interesting to me is your boost is 5.8 with a cam and headers. The reason I say this is because you are running the 2.8 pulley. Guess I would have expected you to drop boost as 5.8 is what Magnuson calls for with there stock 2.8 pulley on a stock car.

In saying all this I am starting to realize that boost is all over the place with our maggied cars.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 88BlackZ-51
I can't help you with the tune but what's interesting to me is your boost is 5.8 with a cam and headers. The reason I say this is because you are running the 2.8 pulley. Guess I would have expected you to drop boost as 5.8 is what Magnuson calls for with there stock 2.8 pulley on a stock car.

In saying all this I am starting to realize that boost is all over the place with our maggied cars.
Yeah I noticed that myself after seeing what other cars are running boost wise. I saw another member recently that had headers and was running a 2.7" pulley and was seeing close to 9 psi. I am sure some of it is just differences in the cars and some of it is how the numbers are being read. My number comes from my aeroforce gauge that plugs into the obd2 port, getting the pressure from the 2 bar MAP.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:35 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97HawkLT1
60lb. But the PO's tuner reduced the table data to about 50-56. My tuner worked hard to get the tune right and was able to dial it in, even with the injector data set where it was. And with 500 rwhp, it's hard to argue the results. I am just trying to understand why.
That's odd. I guess he *could* have been trying to scale the tune if he thought you were nearing the 512 gram/sec hard limit of the PCM. You'd be able to really tell if he scaled the tune by looking at the timing table, since advance tables go by calculated airmass.

If scaled, your timing tables lose resolution so you'll see the ignition advance drop off much earlier than in the tune that I posted.

If your timing tables look normal, I don't know what to say. How is cold drivability? Does it run much better when it get to 131* F engine coolant temp?

Last edited by DMM; 06-26-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:43 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 88BlackZ-51
Funny, I remember hearing that somewhere else very recently...
Old 06-26-2015, 11:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DMM
That's odd. I guess he *could* have been trying to scale the tune if he thought you were nearing the 512 gram/sec hard limit of the PCM. You'd be able to really tell if he scaled the tune by looking at the timing table, since advance tables go by calculated airmass.

If scaled, your timing tables lose resolution so you'll see the ignition advance drop off much earlier than in the tune that I posted.

If your timing tables look normal, I don't know what to say. How is cold drivability? Does it run much better when it get to 131* F engine coolant temp?
The timing does seem to drop off pretty rapidly around .56 g/cyl.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Depending on WHICH 60lbs injectors you have... one would do the math (some are rated at 3Bar some at others. It might be correct to have them appear less at Rail Pressure. (58psi) stock regulated.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DMM
Funny, I remember hearing that somewhere else very recently...
You got it....
Old 06-26-2015, 05:27 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vmapper
Depending on WHICH 60lbs injectors you have... one would do the math (some are rated at 3Bar some at others. It might be correct to have them appear less at Rail Pressure. (58psi) stock regulated.
I thought all advertised injector ratings were at 3 BAR as a standard. Where have you seen an injector flow rate advertised at 4 BAR?

I believe the tuner scaled his tune by a factor of 0.80, which puts the injectors in the 52ish range as stated by the OP.

OP, you should ask your tuner. Scaling is not a bad thing, it's just a work around to get past the hard limits of the PCM. You derate the injectors and the PCM thinks less air is going through the motor. This is why you lose resolution in your timing tables, so everything else in the tune has to be derated to match the STATED (not actual) injector size.

This is a fairly common work around. You should not have been in any danger of hitting the hard limit with your Maggie though, unless you've replaced the 112 with a larger or high helix rotor pack.

Last edited by DMM; 06-26-2015 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:10 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

My number comes from my aeroforce gauge that plugs into the obd2 port, getting the pressure from the 2 bar MAP.
Wait a minute...the only way you'll see that is if you have a custom 2 BAR OS. The 2 BAR MAP sensor won't actually be interpreted as 2 BAR unless there are tables for it.

What does your VE map go up to in KPA? It'll be the far left hand column.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DMM
Wait a minute...the only way you'll see that is if you have a custom 2 BAR OS. The 2 BAR MAP sensor won't actually be interpreted as 2 BAR unless there are tables for it.

What does your VE map go up to in KPA? It'll be the far left hand column.
Yes it is a 2 Bar MAP - Speed Density OS. KPA goes up to 210. Sorry if I left that out as vital info. I am still learning all the tuning stuff.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:54 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Well, if that's the case, it's not a scaled tune. The tuner F'd up the injector data and did a lot of work arounds to get everything right.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DMM
Well, if that's the case, it's not a scaled tune. The tuner F'd up the injector data and did a lot of work arounds to get everything right.
That was my initial thought as well but I didn't know enough about it to know for sure. Thanks for the input. Is there any way of knowing the correct injector data for my injectors? They are the 60lbs that came with the maggie kit. They have the blue rings.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:43 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Yes. The injector data in the tune I posted should be accurate. There may some changes to the later models, however what I have in the tune is actual data from the 60lb Siemens short injectors.

You'll need to modify the OLFA (open loop fuel adder) tables as well so you don't get the lean stumble during cold start.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

That was my initial thought as well but I didn't know enough about it to know for sure. Thanks for the input. Is there any way of knowing the correct injector data for my injectors? They are the 60lbs that came with the maggie kit. They have the blue rings.
do they not have a part number on them?

pn #FI114962 – for the Shorties
pn#FI114961 for the Long
Deka IV

FI114961 – Target Injection Pressure 39.15psid
Continential Injector datasheets..

I used to post all this info ...

Quick Reply: Stock 04 Maggie Tune?