Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

LS2 high/surging idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 high/surging idle issues

I'll preface this with, I have searched. A lot. I rarely make posts unless it is last ditch efforts.

I flushed my power steering fluid last night and cleaned my DBW throttle body.

This morning when I went out to go test out the new fluid my idle was all over the place. If I put it in neutral after cruising it stays at around 2k for a few seconds then slowly goes down to around 1100.

I thoroughly checked for vacuum leaks. Pulled the tb and intake pipe and made sure there were no leaks, or gunk holding the plate open. Though there is a gap around the entire blade, I am assuming that is supposed to be there?

Cleaned the maf

Disconnected the battery for 30+ minutes and did the idle relearn procedure, Multiple times.

Disconnected the maf to see if it changed, and no luck.

I am getting a bit frustrated.

Any ideas?
Old 09-11-2015, 01:11 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Do you have access to your trim? If it shows excessive plus you have an air leak, if neither plus nor neg then you just have to give it time to learn, but i feel your tb gasket needs to be changed and torqued properly
Old 09-11-2015, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Naf
Do you have access to your trim? If it shows excessive plus you have an air leak, if neither plus nor neg then you just have to give it time to learn, but i feel your tb gasket needs to be changed and torqued properly
No access to that at the moment.

I am going to just try driving it around awhile and see if it learns. It is just annoying

The gasket looked great and I retorqued it and made sure it wasn't leaking.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:19 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I hate air leaks, you cant find them easily. It could be the air hose from the intake tube to the valve cover. It could have a tear or crack in it. Same effect
Old 09-11-2015, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What did you use to clean the throttle body?
Old 09-11-2015, 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Naf
I hate air leaks, you cant find them easily. It could be the air hose from the intake tube to the valve cover. It could have a tear or crack in it. Same effect
I checked that hose. As well as every other vacuum line and they are all good.
I would love it if it was just some small air leak somewhere, but I am pretty confident that is not the issue.

Originally Posted by bmylez
What did you use to clean the throttle body?
crc throttle body cleaner.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:59 PM
Staging Lane

It went from running perfect, to having this idle issue. Literally all I did was flushed ps fluid, cleaned tb. That's it.

I didn't unplug anything besides the hose going to the intake, and I have gone over that hose 10x today.

I am going to drive it for a little while to see if it learns and corrects itself, which I hope it does.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suffered a similar issue a little over a year ago. Car drove fine, but as I put the clutch in and rolled up to a stop light, the idle would stay around 1,800-2,000 RPM until the speedomoter read 0mph. I cleaned the throttle body, performed the throttle body position reset several times, checked for vacuum leaks, no change. No error codes either. Finally replaced the MAF with a spare I had in the garage and the problem has not returned since.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Fweasel
I suffered a similar issue a little over a year ago. Car drove fine, but as I put the clutch in and rolled up to a stop light, the idle would stay around 1,800-2,000 RPM until the speedomoter read 0mph. I cleaned the throttle body, performed the throttle body position reset several times, checked for vacuum leaks, no change. No error codes either. Finally replaced the MAF with a spare I had in the garage and the problem has not returned since.
ugh. Well I hope I don't need a new one. Seems weird that it would just do it after everything was fine.

Wouldn't unplugging the maf get rid of that symptom? I tired that to no avail.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

Update

It mended itself. I just drove it around for a day or two and it is good to go now.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:38 PM
Teching In

Had the same issue not to long ago. Turned out to be the gasket in-between the MAF and heat shield (K&N CAI) wasn't properly installed.

Quick Reply: LS2 high/surging idle issues