Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Need some help with exhaust ideas

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 09:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help with exhaust ideas

I picked up my 05 cts-v a few weeks ago and it already has a Corsa catback with resonators. I love how it sounds with no drone and quiet inside, but sounds mildly aggressive outside. I want some long tube headers for it, and I already have a set of 3"electric cutouts I'd like to install so i can open it up when i want, and then make it qiet and civilized when I don't. I'd like to instill the cutouts right after the long tubes and just before the resonators so it can be completely open when I open them.

I'm new to the CTS-V and haven't had the chance to put the car on a lift yet to see what kind of room there is under there and what will work.
Will an exhaust cutout pipe fit in place of where the cats go on these cars? Is there even room for cutouts before the resonators ?
Also, I noticed most headers like OBX list they are 2.5" collectors, is that the size of the fake cat pipe or is the actual collector only 2.5" ? I need to put a 3" cutout pipe on ithe and was thinking of replacing the fake cat with the cutout but keeping the flange that comes wI think the fake cat then nicking it down to 2.5" into the resonators.

Ps I wrote this on my phone while half asleep so, it's probably somewhat incoherent lol
Old 12-10-2015, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not much room to put 3" cutouts where you want....not to mention runnign cutouts right after the collector will sound like pure garbage. It will not sound good in any fashion. Personally I would sell the 3" since its a waste to have that size and buy some low profile ones. Then I would have them installed after the resonator and before the mufflers.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

The OBX/maximixer headers are actually 3" collectors. Its the fake cat pipe that steps it down to 2.5 so it will attach to the stock 2.5" exhaust.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DOHCsky
The OBX/maximixer headers are actually 3" collectors. Its the fake cat pipe that steps it down to 2.5 so it will attach to the stock 2.5" exhaust.
That's what I thought I read but couldn't confirm it anywhere.

As for the sound, i see a lot of people in here with muffler delete, xpipe in place of resonators, and no cats. Only difference there is the length of pipe the exhaust goes through before exiting.
I drove my trans am around for a few weeks with no exhaust after the headers when I did my cam and before finishing the 4" exhaust on it. It was stupid loud, but it had a good tone and just sounded ridiculously awesome. But if I can't 3" ones there them I'll obviously have to reconsider.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:50 AM
Teching In

I was thinking maybe try to do something like this if I had to in order to make it fit.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

honestly i would forget the cut out idea. i have had them and they are ok but with long tubes no cats and the corsa you will have a civilized car that sounds good cruising and the mean when your on the gas. dealing with leaky cut outs and failing motors on the etc is a PIA. i have headers, x pipe, magnaflow and its more than loud enough to let people know i am there.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The picture above is probably your best bet. That's a clean install too. The only issue I see is that under normal driving conditions you're interrupting a good deal of flow with that dead end in the natural stream.

I have cutouts and think they're a very cool feature on the car, but they're before the rear stock mufflers with an X-pipe in place of the stock resonator instead. There is a greater dynamic between open and closed.

In your position I think you should take it one step at a time. Get the long tubes installed and then see how you like it. The corsa setup with long tubes absolutely screams at WOT.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Yeah I was just thinking that today. I can always install the cutouts later. Im just curious how quiet my car will be keeping the resonators. I really like the quietness it has now, but every now and then I want it loud like my Trans Am so that's why I want the cutouts.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

I'm running Pacesetter LT's, B&B x pipe and mufflers and it's way too quiet, 3" exhausts are garbage. I wonder what other exhaust options are available besides going the cutout route
Old 12-11-2015, 06:02 PM
Teching In

What do you guys do for front O2 sensors with long tubes? Extensions or do you swap them out for another O2 with longer wire? On my TA I read about a corvette rear O2 sensor with a lot longer wire that people used and that worked perfectly for it with long tubes while the extensions still left me with a check engine code.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

I didn't have to extend with my Pacesetters, there was enough wire but i guess it might be different depending on the brand. It will throw a check engine light due to the rear o2's not being there anymore but it won't affect anything.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boom tubes!
Old 12-11-2015, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by johnny6
I didn't have to extend with my Pacesetters, there was enough wire but i guess it might be different depending on the brand. It will throw a check engine light due to the rear o2's not being there anymore but it won't affect anything.
Yeah I'm pretty sure my rear O2s are already deleted but if not they will be when I get it tuned later
Old 12-11-2015, 10:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm running Pacesetter LT's, B&B x pipe and mufflers and it's way too quiet, 3" exhausts are garbage. I wonder what other exhaust options are available besides going the cutout route
If you're trying to get rid of that 3" b&b you let me know!
Old 12-12-2015, 12:13 AM
Staging Lane

Hey guys, this is just an idea but I'm planning on deleting the 02's all together on an ls1. What would be the case if I put two cutouts off of each header? Would that lose too much back pressure and end up losing power or would it be a plus? Or would it end up bending the cutout? sorry if this is a stupid question.. trying to do my first build
Old 12-12-2015, 02:35 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im running B&B LT's, high flows, and 3in cat back sport with X-pipe. I think it sounds great. High flows definitely gave it a drone at cruise under load, but WOT it sounds nasty, and idle has a nice deep rumble. They are one of the more expensive options, but are very well put together.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
If you're trying to get rid of that 3" b&b you let me know!
Looks like i'll be going with a custom 2.5" setup in the near future, i'll let the B&B go cheap. I'll let you know as soon as it happens.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BJHardin
What do you guys do for front O2 sensors with long tubes? Extensions or do you swap them out for another O2 with longer wire? On my TA I read about a corvette rear O2 sensor with a lot longer wire that people used and that worked perfectly for it with long tubes while the extensions still left me with a check engine code.
With OBX and Kooks you shouldn't need extensions, but you will need to separate the harness a little bit and retape the passenger side O2 wire. I foolishly gave it a good yank to get enough length and pulled some wires out of what I believe to be my cam position sensor. I repaired the wiring and everything was fine, but could have easily avoided that.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

. . . , i'll let the B&B go cheap. . .
Words that have never been typed in a single sentence without the word won't in there somewhere.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BudRacing
With OBX and Kooks you shouldn't need extensions, but you will need to separate the harness a little bit and retape the passenger side O2 wire. I foolishly gave it a good yank to get enough length and pulled some wires out of what I believe to be my cam position sensor. I repaired the wiring and everything was fine, but could have easily avoided that.
Awesome good to know. I know on a lot of other cArs stock O2s won't reach. Looking forward to getting these in soon, I'll be getting them done the same time I replace the lifters since I've got a valve tick.

Did you wrap your headers? I was thinking I should to help keep temps down

Quick Reply: Need some help with exhaust ideas