Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Tint questions........

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 03:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tint questions........

This my be the latest of stupid Ideas but has anyone tinted the sunroof? Gonna have my window tint replaced next month and thought about having it done. Summers too hot out here
Old 04-28-2017, 07:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

32% here
Old 04-28-2017, 07:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sure, why not? put limo tint on it and be done with it.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone know the factory tint level on the sunroof? My windows are tinted 5%, but I'm not sure if the PO added to the sunroof tint or just left it stock.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Anyone know the factory tint level on the sunroof? My windows are tinted 5%, but I'm not sure if the PO added to the sunroof tint or just left it stock.
They are dark, I had mine replace due to hail damage and it didnt have any. So went with 32% or maybe it was 20? I dont remember now
Old 04-29-2017, 07:44 AM
TECH Addict

On every vehicle I've had for the last 10 years, I have tinted the sunroof. Not really for the /tint/ necessarily but for the heat-blocking effects of the ceramic film. The best stuff really does block heat. I have found that even with the sunshade closed, that pocket between the glass and shade really heats up and some or all of that comes into the vehicle.

The biggest improvement? Get the clear(no tint at all) ceramic film on the entire windshield. Can't tell it is there and the vehicle is at least 30 percent cooler than just the other windows tinted after sitting in the sun(assuming you have same on the rest of the glass). Like you can actually touch the dash and wheel as soon as you get in the car. It is technically not legal in some states as laws haven't caught up with film technology but most tint places understand that the law is to prevent idiots from putting limo tint on the windshield to look cool and they'll do it anyway. They'll just give you a disclaimer saying it's for recreational use only or similar.

The film on the windows helps but the windshield, with its slope, is the worst offender by far.

I cannot stress enough to get the best film within reason. Any good shop should have a heat lamp and film samples for you to feel how much heat comes through each type.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

I'll bet that ceramic tint on the windshield helps noise too...
Old 04-29-2017, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jmilz28
I'll bet that ceramic tint on the windshield helps noise too...
The vehicle I drove most with this was the F250 and I can confirm there was no wind noise at all. Of course the F250s have something like "SoundScreen" painted on the windshield so Ford was already trying to block some sound there...or claiming to. I didn't drive the V1 much between the tint and tearing it apart. I can confirm the heat-blocking was impressive in the V1 on that black dash and wheel.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mercier
The vehicle I drove most with this was the F250 and I can confirm there was no wind noise at all. Of course the F250s have something like "SoundScreen" painted on the windshield so Ford was already trying to block some sound there...or claiming to. I didn't drive the V1 much between the tint and tearing it apart. I can confirm the heat-blocking was impressive in the V1 on that black dash and wheel.
Yea every one and there brother has the windshield tinted out here, makes a difference for sure but my eyes are not getting any better at night as I get older..........

Has a custom made sun shade for all our cars if they have to go out side and that makes a night and day difference. My camaro had less glass granted but with the carbon ceramic tint on it it stayed a good bit cooler to the point you can tell when you would open the door. The car has some shitty tint that is glazing over in spots so it's time for a redo before summer. Sun roof is getting it as well. You can feel the heat cook in from it.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

I worried about the same as my eyes are getting there too. The worst around dusk. But the newer film I could not tell the difference night or day. YMMV.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Might just have to go for it!
Old 04-29-2017, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

Keep in mind this was no tint at all..it's I guess what they would call a 99%(light transmission) or so film.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea best my shop can do is 80
Old 04-30-2017, 05:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by vroom_vroom
Yea best my shop can do is 80
That just might affect night visibility. Perhaps they can find the 9x stuff. It's clear as glass.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:07 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mercier
That just might affect night visibility. Perhaps they can find the 9x stuff. It's clear as glass.
I know that 3M has a ceramic film like you're describing. They've pretty much always been at the forefront of technology in that arena.

Quick Reply: Tint questions........