Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Fml...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fml...

Ok. So I tried to fix my old a** headlights that were pretty badly weathered... And well... I f***ed them up even more. So my questions to anyone who has replaced the assemblies... Has anyone did the eBay ones and converted the wiring from the d1s too a different bulb setup? Example... If I were to buy the headlights on fleabay... They were for non HID and non washer. Which I don't really need the washers. But if I cut the d1s pigtail and wired in the pig tales for the correct assemblies' bulb like a stock CTS bulb and buy my own HIDs. Is it possible? Or am I going to do more damage than good? And find a set of new headlights that are plug and play set?
Old 06-28-2017, 10:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your plan to retrofit a standard bulb or aftermarket setup should work fine and has been done.

How exactly did you mess up the lights?
Old 06-28-2017, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Your plan to retrofit a standard bulb or aftermarket setup should work fine and has been done.

How exactly did you mess up the lights?
Ok. Just the confirmation I needed. Well long story short, I bought one of those headlight restore kits you attach to drill with sanding discs. And being a body guy and long time mechanic and with plenty of time restoring plenty of cars I thought I could handle it just fine. I ended up melting the plastic... I did everything I could keeping it wet and it still melted.

Not sure if it's my wording but I couldn't find a write up on what I'm trying to accomplish.

There's just some questions about the switcheroo that I have and would like to confirm before I pull the plug...
Old 06-28-2017, 11:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Just get a set of aftermarket headlights without the washers, and a 50W Morimoto Elite H7 kit with 4300K bulbs.

As delivered

Professionally painted black surrounds

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 06-28-2017 at 11:48 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts

Order a new set of Depot headlights.

Rock auto carries them and they are fantastic.

They are a factory replacement for the OEM headlights.

Search the part numbers on these screen shots for better pricing. They are complete and ready to install from the box. They include HID projectors, ballasts etc total plug and play ready to go.

Works out about the same price as fuzzys recommendation, but you don't have to futz with anything. Just open the box and Install. Headlight washers function as normal.

-Byron

Old 06-29-2017, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Just get a set of aftermarket headlights without the washers, and a 50W Morimoto Elite H7 kit with 4300K bulbs.

As delivered

Do you like these? Been wanting to get something like this, but always weary with eBay anything.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Negligence
Do you like these? Been wanting to get something like this, but always weary with eBay anything.
The fitment isn't perfect and the wiring sucks (you typically have to cut the wiring connectors off and do it manually), but in the absence of a better option, I like them the best. What I'd really like is a headlight with a single Morimoto FX-R (Bi-Xenon), a LED DRL array, and a vertical LED strip turn signal. But the people designing the aftermarket headlights don't seem to understand the strengths and weaknesses of the platform.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c

As delivered

How did you hook up the HIDs to factory harnesses?

I bought similar assemblies, but they take a 9006 bulb. I then purchased my own set of HIDs. Just worried about how they hook up and what I need to get in order to have everything ready before I rip the bumper off.

Quick Reply: Fml...