Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Name this diff part????

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 07:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Name this diff part????

So I drained my diff fluid to put Amsoil in it and when I pulled the drain plug this was attached. Needless to say I didn't add my Amsoil but rather grabbed my cheap gear oil off the shelf since now its a time bomb. It looks like a shim or part of the LSD. Not sure though???? I'm just gonna keep rocking it till she lets go but as of now I don't really have any issues with it.
Attached Thumbnails Name this diff part????-img_4390.jpg  
Old 10-20-2017, 07:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There is no size reference. Place that object next to something that everyone knows what the size is, a quarter, chap stick, battery, something to give up a reference of the size of this object.

This came out of your rear diff when you changed the fluid?
Old 10-20-2017, 08:56 AM
Teching In

I tossed the part but its less than an inch long. it came out with the drain plug so its around the same size as the drain hole in the diff.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like part of the clutch pack.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Yup kinda looks like a piece of one of the steel rings, but,, just because that's all that came out doesn't mean that's all that's borked..

Once a piece that size come out, bad things can happen including broken axles or ruining the whole housing. Not sure I'd "rock it" on a public road.. Kinda suck if the axle locked up at highway speed.. (Seen it happen its ugly)
Old 10-20-2017, 10:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
Yup kinda looks like a piece of one of the steel rings, but,, just because that's all that came out doesn't mean that's all that's borked..

Once a piece that size come out, bad things can happen including broken axles or ruining the whole housing. Not sure I'd "rock it" on a public road.. Kinda suck if the axle locked up at highway speed.. (Seen it happen its ugly)
I've never heard on one locking up. I figure if it goes completely it would just start making crazy noise. Although if the LSD completely failed it could cause the axle to bind so I see where you coming from. This V is going to be brand new by the time I get done fixing broke stuff!
Old 10-20-2017, 10:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by usaf_v
This V is going to be brand new by the time I get done fixing broke stuff!
Mine too! But then you start replacing parts you already replaced before. It's an endless cycle of consumable GM parts.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:29 AM
Teching In

So I just off the phone with Lindsey Caddy and the parts dude said the diffs are on backorder and he said it could either be weeks or months. He also said its possible the GM is discontinuing the part but I cant imagine them doing that considering the amount of diffs that people go through. Plus the price was 1641......eek I might have to get the 8.8 kit. My luck sucks.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

junkyard delve for a new diff...
Old 10-20-2017, 03:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can be part of the belleville washer inside the lsd unit, mine was also broken, u can buy a new one, look at my thread here or try a burnout and look if the posi unit works correctly on every side...

Greetz
Ron
Old 10-20-2017, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Choppy_Idle
Can be part of the belleville washer inside the lsd unit, mine was also broken, u can buy a new one, look at my thread here or try a burnout and look if the posi unit works correctly on every side...

Greetz
Ron
Just saw the thread. that's a bit more than I can do in my garage from the looks of youer pics. Lots of fancy machines!

Last edited by usaf_v; 10-20-2017 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:30 AM
TECH Regular

Thx man, but there is no need for fancy machines to dismantle your pos unit and look about a damaged belleville washer, u can do that in your own garage for sure!

Have a used single belleville washer here, can give u for free or buy 2 new ones somewhere and be happy for a long time then spending near 2k on a new diff with no gain, if the rest works correctly?!

Greetz
Ron
Old 10-22-2017, 11:26 AM
Teching In

Thx man, but there is no need for fancy machines to dismantle your pos unit and look about a damaged belleville washer, u can do that in your own garage for sure!

Have a used single belleville washer here, can give u for free or buy 2 new ones somewhere and be happy for a long time then spending near 2k on a new diff with no gain, if the rest works correctly?!

Greetz
Ron
cool, lemme do some digging and come up with a game plan. I have no plans to drag race it or launch it. Its just a fun daily so if I can get away with fixing the stocker I'm game.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:58 PM
Teching In

made a few call to some different dealers and just placed an order online for a new diff. Apparently there's a handful of diffs in transit so hopefully my order will be one of them. I got the diff for less than 1500 which is a lot but compared to the 8.8 its cheap. I would have loved to slap an 8.8 kit but I don't drag race or launch the car so the beefy rear end is not needed for me. The factory one lasted 127k miles with unknown abouse so if this one does the same ill be more than happy.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would try to find a G80 Pontiac diff for a drop-in with a higher final drive than OEM, but that is nice you have a solution heading your way! Thanks for updating.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:06 PM
Teching In

Update to the Update. Got an email from the dealership I ordered it from and they stated the diff has been discontinued. So as of now I'm still diff'less and ill make some more calls tomorrow. To be continued..........
Old 10-23-2017, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by usaf_v
Update to the Update. Got an email from the dealership I ordered it from and they stated the diff has been discontinued. So as of now I'm still diff'less and ill make some more calls tomorrow. To be continued..........
What's a v2 diff for for? There is a couple guys that have made them work
Old 10-23-2017, 09:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you called a shop that rebuilds axles to see if they think they could fix it? If it's internal, chances are the parts are out there.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:00 AM
TECH Regular

Go for SRX diff or similar, u can get it new for 400 or so, best solution for small budget...

Greetz
Ron
Old 10-28-2017, 10:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Go for SRX diff or similar, u can get it new for 400 or so, best solution for small budget...

Greetz
Ron
Except the G80 posi traction ones are hard to find. The case works fine with a V posi thrown into it, but it doesn't really help USAF_V. I have a V gear set and posi in a new OE surplus SRX case that I've been running for 2 years.

Quick Reply: Name this diff part????