Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Engine Shut down while driving, cranks but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Engine Shut down while driving, cranks but wont start

Hey Guys

Drove the car about half a mile down the road to go to LOWE's for some house project stuff, on the way back, I was getting ready to have a tiny bit of fun and was going about 30-35mph and downshifted to second, when I gave it gas, the car kind of felt like it was giving out, it def changed it tone from the load, but RPM's were not moving and seconds later, the engine shut off but i still had power. I pulled the car over and tried to start her back up. The car cranks and wants so badly to turn over, but its not having it. After i had the car towed home, i gave it another try after about an hour or so later. I got it to turn over after a couple tries and start for maybe a moment or two, but it def sounded like it was a shell of itself and not fully running (kind of how it sounded when it initially started to shut down on me) then shut back off and wouldnt turn over again. After those failed attempts i smelled gas when i got outside the car. No leaks of any type and i just had the Trans Seal replaced by The Corvette Shop in NY and they did a rundown on the car as I am preparing to sell it soon and they said it was in great shape and looked brand new from underneath.

Background Facts
-Car for a few months has said Coolant level is low (its not) and I think the sensor is on its way out or stuck to the inside wall (which i read happens often enough)
-I filled up the tank about 20 miles or less previously, and it was on E, like, bottom of the tank E (but have taken the car out 2-3 times since then and no issue)
-Belts move when trying to crank over so nothing is seized or broken there
-Def sounds like the fuel pump is priming, and after failed start attempts, i could smell gas
-Car is Headers Back + Fast 92mm Intake and ls2 throttle body, tuned by TTP in South NJ ( dunno if any of these things matter but trying to be thorough)
-Zero throttle response when trying to turn over / when it got running for a moment, but it happened really fast
-When I try to crank, RPM's do NOT move at all (except when i turn the key back off, then it does a TINY little blip up, I read if it moves during crank a little, its not CPS)
-Car has 61.5k miles, ive owned it for 5 years and put around 6.5k of those miles on it. Never been tracked and always babied (ok i did ONE burn out...you get a CS 8.8 rear and 1000 hp axles, its a crime if you dont do ONE burnout)

After doing some searching, these are my best guesses (but I have follow up questions that i need help with haha)
-Crank Position Sensor went (would the car turn over at all though if this went, even if it was running crappy for a second or two? would the car be throwing a code for this?)
-Coolant Level Sensor went fully or thinks there is zero coolant in the car and shutting down the engine (no check engine codes, scanned as well and nothing is coming up)
-Fuel Filter is clogged due to the low tank fill up (would i still smell gas after failed attempts?)
-Maybe I dont know anything and the Fuel Pump went

Thanks in advance everyone!

Last edited by Negligence; 05-09-2019 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the valve springs break often enough but I’m not really sure how that lines up with your symptoms and lack of codes.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

I dont think that lines up with the symptoms at all....why even suggest it then? They also usually go slowly overtime and not all at once, car was fine till the moment this happened.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

I would start with the simple stuff first. It sounds a lot like a fuel/spark delivery issue to me. Visually inspect all of your fuel system. I'd also start with a fuel filter and injector cleaning additive (can't hurt anyways). Also check your spark plugs, coil packs, and plug wires, even if they are new. If all of these things pass inspection, then I would start to dig a little deeper into some of the stuff you had mentioned at the bottom of your post. I don't believe the vehicle will force stop because of a low coolant without many warnings beforehand. I'd say the coolant sensor is a decent suspect, although I'm pretty sure it would throw a code considering its a major sensor, unless the computer thinks its still operating as it should. Symptoms do also suggest the crank pos sensor too. But I find it highly improbable that it could be faulty and not throw any code. I'd also look into the MAF sensor.
Are you able to check your A/F ratio at all?
Are you getting any knocking/backfire or any other strange sounds?
What was the last maintenance you performed on the car?

The recall below is a prime suspect as well if you haven't had it done.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Manufacturer Recall Number: N140405
NHTSA Recall Number: 14V542

Summary: General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2004-2007 model year (MY) Cadillac CTS-V and 2006-2007 MY Cadillac STS-V vehicles. In the subject vehicles, the fuel pump module electrical terminal may overheat and cause localized melting of the flange material near the overheated electrical terminal. The melted flange material could create a hole, or leak path, in the fuel pump allowing fuel to escape from the fuel pump module.

Safety Risk: This condition may result in fuel leaking from the fuel pump to the ground, diagnostic leak codes set by evaporated fuel emissions, or intermittent engine performance that could include stalling, increasing the risk of a crash.

Remedy: Dealers will replace fuel module and fuel tank jumper harness, free of charge.

Last edited by Paul Ashley; 05-10-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

Thank You Paul Ashley! Great advice, I have some time off starting after Wednesday so I will be kicking off my investigation then. I see you are in Upstate NY, (im in New Paltz, NY)

Any chance you want to come hang?!?! (will reimburse you for gas and i make a mean smoked brisket/pulled pork on my WSM Smoker)

To Answer your questions
-I am unable to check my A/F (novice but trying to learn as much as i can now that i have room to work on my cars)
-No Knock or backfire, car has always ran great since I've got it / had work done on it
-I had the car completely checked out and freshened up (4 years ago) but less than 5k miles put on since then. Most of its life, the car has sat in a semi climate controlled Air Hangar, driving it when I can (but the car never went more than 2 weeks without being started up, my buddy who i shared the hangar with was always there and always put stabilizer in my tank and ran the car)

Last edited by Negligence; 05-10-2019 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Negligence
Thank You Paul Ashley! Great advice, I have some time off starting after Wednesday so I will be kicking off my investigation then. I see you are in Upstate NY, (im in New Paltz, NY)

Any chance you want to come hang?!?! (will reimburse you for gas and i make a mean smoked brisket/pulled pork on my WSM Smoker)

To Answer your questions
-I am unable to check my A/F (novice but trying to learn as much as i can now that i have room to work on my cars)
-No Knock or backfire, car has always ran great since I've got it / had work done on it
-I had the car completely checked out and freshened up (4 years ago) but less than 5k miles put on since then. Most of its life, the car has sat in a semi climate controlled Air Hangar, driving it when I can (but the car never went more than 2 weeks without being started up, my buddy who i shared the hangar with was always there and always put stabilizer in my tank and ran the car)
Damn thats tempting as hell. Unfortunately im in rochester. So its like a 4.5hr drive... but if youre ever going to watkins glen or something let me know. Ill do the same. I even made a post looking for other in NY on the fourm. Theres only a couple other gen 1v owners Ive seen in rochester, so its hard to compare notes with anyone. Let me know what you find after youre inspection. Also, did you have that recall done? Because you would have the same exact symptoms.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry you’re frustrated man. Not sure how a spring breaks slowly over time so it seemed to line up with the abrupt change, at least in my head. Like I said I don’t know the symptoms I just knew it was a common thing.

Most ignition and fueling issues toss codes pretty quickly. Sensors too.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:55 PM
Staging Lane

Springs dont often just fail out of nowhere, they are a slow degradation over time and it is noticeable in engine performance. Also, there is still a large chance the motor would still turn over and run, it would just run terribly.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Paul Ashley
Damn thats tempting as hell. Unfortunately im in rochester. So its like a 4.5hr drive... but if youre ever going to watkins glen or something let me know. Ill do the same. I even made a post looking for other in NY on the fourm. Theres only a couple other gen 1v owners Ive seen in rochester, so its hard to compare notes with anyone. Let me know what you find after youre inspection. Also, did you have that recall done? Because you would have the same exact symptoms.
I have an ignition recall for sure (got a notice in the mail) was hoping those pieces were replaced when the Fuel Pump was upgrdaed, but perhaps not. Trying to get Service Dept at Cadillac Poughkeepsie to call me back.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Springs dont often just fail out of nowhere, they are a slow degradation over time and it is noticeable in engine performance. Also, there is still a large chance the motor would still turn over and run, it would just run terribly.
Good to know. All they do for the ignition recall is put an insert in your key so the hole is a centered circle instead of an oval that lets your key ring slide side to side. Or are they actually going to do something about the ignition switch itself? I’ve not seen that in the mail yet if so.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Recall info here for my 2006 V1. https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...l#post19656131
Old 05-11-2019, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

There was an engine stumbling or stalling recall that requires a PCM reflash but they didn’t do it on mine b/c of the hptuners. I don’t think that issue causes a total shutdown though.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

A quick way to check if there is a fueling issue is to spray some starting fluid into the engine. Have someone crank it as you spray, and if the engine runs then it supports a fueling issue.

Since you’re smelling fuel, it could mean a leak. The fuel pump and harness connect at the top of the fuel tank, and that area can possibly allow for fuel to pool there without any leaking onto the ground. So, you could be smelling it, but it’s not leaking onto the ground due to pooling at the top of the tank.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cam3439
A quick way to check if there is a fueling issue is to spray some starting fluid into the engine. Have someone crank it as you spray, and if the engine runs then it supports a fueling issue.

Since you’re smelling fuel, it could mean a leak. The fuel pump and harness connect at the top of the fuel tank, and that area can possibly allow for fuel to pool there without any leaking onto the ground. So, you could be smelling it, but it’s not leaking onto the ground due to pooling at the top of the tank.
This is a good idea. I also agree. If you're smelling fuel, theres a decent chance its a leak.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:26 PM
Staging Lane

Update

Checked Fuses in rear of trunk, all good

Fuel Pressure Tester Kit came in - at first I thought maybe I did something wrong, but when i went to go look after i put the key to the on position, it was around 1-3 psi and when I hit the release, it dropped to zero. On my 2nd and 3rd attempts, it did not move at all. A tiny bit of fuel came out after i disconnected the first time, but nothing after that.

Wanted to do a baseline check, to make sure I was doing it properly, on my Subaru outback, but apparently Subaru's haven't had Fuel Pressure Hookups for at least a decade (just my luck)

Should I go right to removing the tank and checking the fuel pump, or is there a way I can check the fuel lines? Im guessing im just gonna have to get under there and prod around

Last edited by Negligence; 05-19-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:31 PM
Staging Lane

Update

Checked Fuses in rear of trunk, all good

Fuel Pressure Tester Kit came in - at first I thought maybe I did something wrong, but when i went to go look after i put the key to the on position, it was around 1-3 psi and when I hit the release, it dropped to zero. On my 2nd and 3rd attempts, it did not move at all. A tiny bit of fuel came out after i disconnected the first time, but nothing after that.

Wanted to do a baseline check, to make sure I was doing it properly, on my Subaru outback, but apparently Subaru's haven't had Fuel Pressure Hookups for at least a decade (just my luck)

Should I go right to removing the tank and checking the fuel pump, or is there a way I can check the fuel lines? Im guessing im just gonna have to get under there and prod around
I think you can either drop the tank or cut an access hole from the top for the pump. Not a huge expert in the field, but maybe jack it up, have someone turn the key and see if you can see any leaks before you start tearing stuff apart. Seems like you are onto the problem though.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

did you get the recall done on the fuel pump? Definitely a fuel pump issue as you verified.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MN_V
did you get the recall done on the fuel pump? Definitely a fuel pump issue as you verified.
The car is modified with a Walbro fuel pump so I’m guessing the recall doesn’t apply

It only has 5k miles on it but it’s been 4 years with lots of sitting (even though I did run stabilizer) but the last fill up was on super Empty so maybe that got past the filter and Gunked it up
Old 05-20-2019, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Change your fuel filter and make sure your injectors aren’t clogged with the filter material.

sounds dumb but I fought a 99 Sierra 1500 for months (more like a year unfortunately) because the filter disintegrated and clogged the injectors plum full more than once after I cleaned them. Truck ran like a top one day then when I tried to start it the next, it barely ran. Now it gets flogged with no problems

derek
Old 06-28-2019, 08:51 AM
Staging Lane

So...just wanted to follow up with everyone.

I called Cadillac a couple weeks ago (Hudson GMC Caddy near me in Ulster County, NY) and asked how much a new fuel pump was (in case that was it) and also while on the call, I asked if my car had any recalls on it... Turns out, I had Three recalls, the key fob thing, corroding brake lines, AND MASTER FUEL SYSTEM FAILURE....

Worst case scenario, it was still the pump, but all the work they do to fix the fuel recall will be covered and only would have to pay for the pump replacement time (like 2 hours max), Best case scenario, it was the recall causing my issues.

Just got the call about 20 minutes ago...Fuel System Recall was the culprit! car is ready to go and I dont have to pay a dime!

YES!!!!
The following users liked this post:
heavymetals (06-28-2019)