Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

New car CTS-V or E-55?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New car CTS-V or E-55?

OK guys I'm looking at a new car for next year. I've had my eye on the CTS-V and the E-55 AMG.......

The negative thing......I have a hang up with currently is the manual Tranny in the CST-V.......

The positive thing......With the CST-V I do have my 427 (Currently in the SS) I can through in later and have an *** kicker of a Caddy.......

Let me know your opinions on pro/cons on the CTS-V.......

Thanks...
Old 12-05-2004, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GEAR M UP
Let me know your opinions on pro/cons on the CTS-V.......
Search is your friend!
Old 12-05-2004, 02:49 PM
Launching!

Since you don't like the manual does that mean you prefer an automatic?

With the V, you can mod it to your hearts content with proven components from the f-bod and vette world. Modding can not be done, cost effectively, with an AMG.

Bolt in your 427 and go beat up on AMGs.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:57 PM
Launching!

P.S. I recognize your handle from sss.com as I too have a '03 black SS with Corsa Sport (SinisterSS).

We need to meet up as I want a ride in your C5R powered SS and you can check out my V (I'm just a couple hours NW of you).

Old 12-05-2004, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Rich,

Its not that I don’t like manual, I have the 6-speed in the Z06....

I guess I'm just lazy, I'd prefer an auto in my daily driver. I drove one of the first V's when they came out, and it was clunky and the performance was not that great. I remember a thread over on SSS.com when you were talking about getting your V....I made a comment that the one I drove was not up to par.....

Maybe that's why I question getting into a V over the E-55... I drove the E-55 and it’s a great $75-80K car. Very quick, responsive and smooth.

But being a GM guy I'd like to stay with the V so I have a home for the 427 with a big F-1 blower on it.....

Maybe I should meander down to the Caddy dealer again a drive the V again; maybe the first one I drove was a lemon? I have run against other Z06's that were just poor performers.....

I was just up in Galena today, is that anywhere near you? I had to drop off my ATV's and put them in storage...

I really like the power I have from the 427....From 3000-6000 it’s just sick.

I'm planning on installing the new LS2 intake and TB next week along with a 150 shot of N20....We should be cranking then.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 12-08-2004, 10:34 PM
Teching In

E55 no doubt. This car runs circles around the CTS and really is not even in the same class. MUCH more power, merc luxury, better suspension, no hopping problems, did I mention power, Merc luxury, etc etc. The CTS-V may be able to hang with an S4 and C55 for a bit, but really the E55 is miles ahead (as it should be)

No brainer. Just test drive both, and the only concern will be price not which one is the superior car. If you can afford the E55 I see no reason to look at the CTS. The new M5 might be a good option also, along with the RS6.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

I would get the E55 unless you are planning big mods or are going to track the car. The E55 is a great but the aftermarket for the LS1 is huge and the CTS-V is a great track car. It really depends what you are looking for. For a daily driver though, you cant beat the luxury in the E55
Old 12-09-2004, 12:17 AM
On The Tree

I have driven both and if you take the price out of it (Cost of a 03' Z06) the E-55 is a great daily driver.

Now come back to reality is it worth a $30K+ difference?

I have the 427/C5-R that will come out of my truck later next year; I'd really like to see that in the CTS-V......

I think I've made up my mind; I'll drop the 427 in and put in a custom turbo system....

Thanks guys.....
Old 12-09-2004, 12:43 AM
Launching!

You could build a V driven by the 427 with an automatic...

Use the new trans from the C6 (big torque rating) or bolt in a built 4L65E for ~$2500.

In addition, one would need to add an automatic floor shifter ~$300. Possibly a different rear transmission mount/crossmember (perhaps one from a regular CTS?), say another ~$300.

You'll also need to swap out the engine's flywheel for an automatic's flexplate ~$150.

A Hughes HP25100 controller can be used to independently control the transmission. ~$1250

Grand total for parts needed ~$5,500. Probably could sell the stock T-56 for $2,500 to reduce the costs.

P.S. I'm in the Peoria area.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:23 AM
Launching!

Lightbulb

hmm, the mercedes is not the car to buy, they are junky..... i worked at mercedes benz of naperville as a mr. fix it and i had to drive several E-55's home and S600's i really disliked the way the car handled itself... the E-55 also has many problems there was one in there like every other day getting somthing fixed... i dont know what their problem is there they cant seem to get things right on the car... please buy the CTS-V from what i have seen they have had some supercharger problems on the E-55 and unless you are going to dish out major bucks to get somthing fiixed thats just going to break again... i suggest you go with an american car.... granted the car may have a warranty but, why risk somthing like that....

The Shop foreman that had to work on the car just described the customer that had the car **** because he had a problem with his supercharger going bad for some reason? and some other things yet the car was in over and over again and he couuldnt seem to fix it.... kind of weird

i hate mercedes its a good thing i worked there so i know not to buy one in the future....
Old 12-12-2004, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would say E55 for sure. We have had the opportunity to work on both E55's and CTSV's. Put a 427 in the V car and a few bolt ons on the 55 (bolt ons for the E55 are like bolt ons for the 03 cobra's). The E55 is definitly the car to get. MUCH better built than the caddy. A better ride and goes 12.0's bone stock... if you can hook. But either way you go you can have a bad *** car. If you do get the E55 check around first before you mod it. For example Renntech charges a couple thousand for the lower pulley on the E55 when we get it from the same place for WELL under a thousand. If you have any more questions give us a call at MTI 281-870-8787.

Last edited by NiceTry; 12-12-2004 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

Benz
Old 12-15-2004, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

CTS-V would be a better car for enjoyment, its more of a drivers car
Old 12-15-2004, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

get the caddy ! the looks should be the first thing you look at and what most people see anyways , you say this is your everyday car , then looks is what matters most . you , me and everyone else on this board can talk performance but looks catch your eye . the caddy has new edge styling and the v is badass looking . the benz has the same style year after year and the amg dosent look that much different from what people think most benz look like , theres no wow factor , the v has somthing different that says , hey theres something up , you know what i mean ? you kinda ecspect a benz or bmw to perform but caddys have never had that reputation and now they do so it makes it new and appealing , trendy even , not to mention 30k less.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Default V vs. E

Mercedes delivers one hell of a car for the money - sophisticated chassis (complicated as well), very fast, I bet it will hook up much better than the V - I have owned the E55 and M5, and just picked up a Mallett 7.0 V with C5R block, coil overs w/ remote reservoir shocks, minitubs, 19 inch wheels, etc.

I am driving the Mallet to work everyday, so its hard to beat as a commuter car. Anyway, they are different cars, and Mercedes has clearly gone down the charts in terms of reliability, so no kudos for them in that department. Also nothing but good things to say about Mr. Mallet.

I am upgrading to the 900 hp blower engine in the spring to make sure I can get to work on time.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:12 PM
Teching In

Default Oil filter

Anybody know if there is a better filter choice for the V other than the stock PF 44 or PF 46? I have the 7.0 conversion, but still run the stock V filter - it seems kind of puny.

Thanks, for any help.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The E55 is a much better car off the showroom floor.

Jose
Old 12-17-2004, 03:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HubbaHubba
Anybody know if there is a better filter choice for the V other than the stock PF 44 or PF 46? I have the 7.0 conversion, but still run the stock V filter - it seems kind of puny.

Thanks, for any help.
Here's a link to a list of filters I put together for the LSx engines. The larger filters are listed as "long." On my LSx engines, I use the longer K&N HP-2006 and the Mobil1 M1-206.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

I've made up my mind...The CTS-V fits to what I want out of it.....

I'm going hunting for a good year end deal.....

I have a 427/C5R in my truck currently, and I have another one being offered to me now. That motor made over 920RWHP......

A hunting we shall go.......
Old 12-19-2004, 11:05 PM
TECH Regular

Gear Em Up, am I to understand you are in Ohio?

If so Chesrown Cadillac in Newark Ohio, is dealing on the V.

Buy the V, make the mods, fix the wheelhop, kick the E-55s *** and still have money left.

Quick Reply: New car CTS-V or E-55?