Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Power source for radar detector

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Power source for radar detector

I installed my V-1 detector using wires from the upper consloe, as per directions from a CTS owner, but mine DOES NOT TURN OFF, when the car powers down. It stays on! I need a switched power source that can be used without major tear-down of the interior. Any ideas? Appreciate your help.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:16 PM
Launching!

Did you follow the instructions from here? http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/v1install.html

If so, the radar detector will not automatically shut off with the key. The radar detector will however, power down automatically after approximately nine minutes when the RAP (retained accesory power) shuts down.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:31 PM
Launching!

Well? Does the detector shut off after a while?
Old 12-09-2004, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

Yes, I followed these directions. The unit does not shut off. Perhaps the 05 wiring is different from the 04? Frustrating. I need to use a switched power source, because I will never remember to turn it off!!
Old 12-09-2004, 12:02 PM
Launching!

I have an '05, it is wired like the FAQ. After you shut the car off, get out and close the door, the radar detector will shut off automatically after 10 minutes of inactivity (no opening the doors, turning on the key, etc.)
Old 12-09-2004, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by StealthV
I have an '05, it is wired like the FAQ. After you shut the car off, get out and close the door, the radar detector will shut off automatically after 10 minutes of inactivity (no opening the doors, turning on the key, etc.)
I wish mine would; I let it sit for over an hour and it just keeps looking at me with that red eye.......
Old 12-09-2004, 04:52 PM
Launching!

Looks like we need to get the collective V expert heads together on this one. Stay "tuned", help is on the way.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:52 PM
Launching!

The OEM shop manuals have been opened. From around North America, the best V minds are working the issue.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:14 AM
Launching!

Few questions that will help...

Do you have a sunroof or not?
What color wire did you tap?
Did you wait long enough without touching anything. What I would try is walk away for a while and when you open the door (in your garage, etc) see if the V1 makes noise (startup tones). This will assure you that it actually went off...

Does/did your RAP work before you installed the V1?
Check here for a description of how it works:
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/sm/rap.jpg

Could be a problem with your RIM (rear integration module) or the RAP mini relay (I will post the RAP schematic later tongiht to http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/sm

Let us know these answers and it will help.

Reed
http://www.cadillacfaq.com
Old 12-10-2004, 12:28 AM
Launching!

in all cases it should be the Dark blue wire (or dark blue with white). It sounds like it may be a RIM problem or something else.

Do the overhead lights work at all?
Is the gray wire cut at all?

Reed
Old 12-10-2004, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

Thanks to "StealthV" and all others.
1. My lights work in the upper panel
2. The grey wire was not cut
3. The delay feature seems to work;i.e., the interior lights turn off
4. If I turn on the V1(no key) after the car has sat all night, it powers up.
5. I used the balck wire (ground) and the blue/white stipe wire (power)
6. No sunroof

Thanks for the help; you guys are great. I know I will figure this one out yet, with your help. BTW, Have a great holiday season and thanks again for your assistance.

Greg

Last edited by carpe dm; 12-10-2004 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

CTSVETT: got the schematic. The cadillacfaq. is a wonderful resource! Thanks for your efforts.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:03 AM
Launching!

Reed did you do this auto-on/off detector install in your non-roof '04 V? Wonder if the harness is different with the '05 non-roof cars.

Greg, would it be possible for you to take a digital picture of your wires and install for us to troubleshoot?

Last edited by StealthV; 12-10-2004 at 12:11 PM. Reason: fixed the crap
Old 12-10-2004, 12:01 PM
Launching!

Stealthv,
Mine goes off on its own in my 04/ no roof.

Carpe: Are you saying that when you get in the car in the morning, the radar detector comes on? Please note that by even opening the door (or pressing the button on the remote) you have activated the RAP.

The best way to test to see if this is working is to:
1.turn on the V1
2. Roll down window
3. Turn on the car and then off
4. Exit the vehicle
5. Come back in about 20-30 mins and see if the v1 is still on by looking through the window (dont hit the button on the remote, and dont open any doors, etc)

Another way to test RAP is to turn on your car and radio, turn off the car and jus sit there (dont touch anything) for about 10-20 mins until the radio goes off.. that way you will know it works.

I have heard of people who have electrical gremlins and then have dead batteries. It very well may be your whole RAP setup. The Blue/white wire will only be energized when the car is on or RAP is on. This does not sound like an install problem or a wiring problem, but more a general RAP system or RAP trunk problem.

Reed
Old 12-11-2004, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

My RAP seems to work; the radio stays on after I stop the engine, until I open the door. The car had a dead battery at the dealers, and had to be jumped. It also does not have the alarm "enabled" yet. My dealer does not know what to do to fix it either. Perhaps it is a "RIM" problem as you suggested? I like mysteries, except when they happen to involve my new car!
Old 12-11-2004, 01:34 PM
Launching!

Carpe,
You said that the radio stays on until you open the door.. that is expected, but after about 20 mins the radio should shut off EVEN if you dont open the door. So you need to sit in the car for 20 mins or turn on/off through an open window to test this. Opening the door will tell the radio/system you are gone, but that DOES NOT turn off RAP, that can still stay on. It sounds to me like your RAP is tweaked... I think its a dealer fix. Especially if they had a dead battery at the dealer. This REALLY points to a electrical problem.

P.S. Check your rear fuse box (in your trunk) to see if there are any blown fuses. The RAP has a separate fuse (as you can see by the diagram I posted) and that be be blown or stuck open.

Most of all, let us know what happens so we know what the problem was (and can help the next guy that comes along).

Reed
Old 12-11-2004, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Will do; thanks.

Quick Reply: Power source for radar detector