Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Who has had Rear End Problems? And what did Cadillac do to fix it???

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 09:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted from the "gm book"... what I gave you was exactly what they have...

Reed
Old 04-10-2005, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

I'm switching to Redline so that should take care of the dealer's confusion.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:59 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Dave's V
Yes you are reading the post correct. This is frequent. I would highly recommend that you check this link if you haven't already. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=16314

Do a search also and you'll find plenty of topics. The new part number is 10368780. I don't know the difference from the original. Maybe some other posters here will know.

Something doesn't sound right though with your situation. Cadillac usually wouldn't go through this much trouble if they didn't know something.

There is a possibility it is your mods. Some dealers are a real pain. Since the BMR kit is around the rear end area they might be saying that is the problem. Notice I said might and possibility.

They could of read the "black box" also. If you didn't race or drag, then you shouldn't have to worry about anything. The dealers are starting use that freaking box against us. I guess you can say for us if you want to prove you didn't abuse the car.

I would go with CVP's advice. If they have a good case against you, you will find out what they are calling abuse. If not, they'll probably settle out of court.

The dealer mentioned to me about the rear end not being broke in properly according to Cadillac. I bought it with 661 miles on it so I threw it right back on their sales department. It was fixed within a week.

Does anyone know if the new part number rear is different then the old one? And if so what is different?

Also does anyone know a good lawyer to use to sue GM and has anyone had to do this before?
Old 04-11-2005, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GrooveCityCTS-V
Does anyone know if the new part number rear is different then the old one? And if so what is different?

Also does anyone know a good lawyer to use to sue GM and has anyone had to do this before?
To answer your first question, yes it is a different part number. Second one I don't know.

I try to stay away from lawyers.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:55 AM
Staging Lane

To answer your first question, yes it is a different part number. Second one I don't know.

I try to stay away from lawyers.
I've had alot of people telling me to sue, what would you do?
Old 04-11-2005, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GrooveCityCTS-V
I've had alot of people telling me to sue, what would you do?
It is hard to say. It seems like they know something that they are not willing to share. Cadillac has got to know there is a problem with these rear ends. Did you talk to Cadillac yourself or go through the dealer?
Old 04-11-2005, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Of the 33 of responding forum members, 30% have replaced their rear differential. Coincedence? Me thinks not. Go to court if you have to. I will pay to have my fixed and then sue for the repairs if denied warranty claim.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

I talked to Kyle at Cadillac today. He said the new pn for the rear end fluid (grape scent stuff) already contains the additive. He talked to a couple dealers in his area (Calif).

I'm switching to redline fluids this week in my tranny and rear end so it doesn't matter to me. $27 a qt for the GM stuff, $8 a qt for redline for a better fluid also.

They also said something about a recall for the ECM.

I asked about the rear ends, usual story. I think Cadillac might say not everyone with good rear ends posts on the forums. Usually the bad ones do because they search. That is what I gathered from him not me.

Personally, I'm not doing any mods to the drivetrain until I can trust the rear. If I have to live with stock, fine. 0-60 in 5 seconds or less is quick enough.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I disagree. The majority don't have a problem but that's only 63%. That leaves 37% of the differentials with issues. He may be right, but GM is still wrong for not improving this rear with something beefier.

So far:

26 - No problems
8 - replaced at least once
2 - replaced at least twice (that's me, one '04 and one '05)
1 - replaced at least three times! (I know who that was)

So out of 41 rear differentials, 15 have been replace due to catastrophic failure. Not a very good average in my book.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

It is hard to say. It seems like they know something that they are not willing to share. Cadillac has got to know there is a problem with these rear ends. Did you talk to Cadillac yourself or go through the dealer?
The most I've got out of GM on the phone is that since the rear of the case was broken it was abused. I havent spoke with Cadillac just GM and the car is at the 2nd dealer the 1st was not helpful at all and the 2nd is trying everything they can but Cadillac is just being an *** and not covering **** so I have an Arbitration set up.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:26 AM
Staging Lane

I guess they will have to prove that the mods caused the rear end case to go bad. So if an engine throws a rod or something and it takes out parts of an engine, is that considered abuse.

People that spend $50k on a car should be able to use full power often and not worrying about the rear end commiting suicide.

I think it is a combination of a strong drivetrain, extra sticky tires and a over rated rear end. I also think the wheel hop and parade clunk has something to do with te rear end failures.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:36 AM
Staging Lane

I guess they will have to prove that the mods caused the rear end case to go bad. So if an engine throws a rod or something and it takes out parts of an engine, is that considered abuse.

People that spend $50k on a car should be able to use full power often and not worrying about the rear end commiting suicide.

I think it is a combination of a strong drivetrain, extra sticky tires and a over rated rear end. I also think the wheel hop and parade clunk has something to do with te rear end failures.
You just said a mouth full. Now we just need Cadillac to hear it, comprehend it, and FIX IT! Not deny there is a problem and say the car has been abused when its the weakest part of the drive train that keeps breaking. A little ironic that this is the only problem we keep reading about.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:16 AM
TECH Addict

Wow, that is a good point. The only part the keeps breaking IS the rear. Also, we all know, and it is evident in the numerous magazine articles, that these 50k rides have a sever case of wheel hop. Even part to medium throttle, wheel hop could and will destroy ANY differntial.

What I find intersting it that it is known that these cars have wheel hop problems, other buyers are having identical issues with the same parts, and still there are dealerships that are voiding warranties. It may not be cadillac themselves but the service managers of a specific dealership that are causing all the trouble.

Question. I read, and im not entirely sure, that the new 06 cts-v will have a beefier rear. IF this information is correct, then i ask if the horsepower was stayed the same, why the change? If its not boken, why fix it right? Its under my impression, and possibly of the cts-v community, that this issue is known though it is being covered up.

I feel if that the new cts-v does come with a strong rear, or that if we pursue it further with cadillac and a new diff/rear. developed through there performance parts department, a swap for the 06 rear or the "new" diff/rear would be more than adequate, almost like a recall in order to fix, not a defect of craftmanship, but an application of an inadequate part used for a vehicle that exceeds its capacity.

please keep us up to date, wuld help out anyone else with a possible situation in the future.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

oh, another thing.......... are these rears that are having problem are only on the 04'z or are there 05'z with this problem?
Old 10-15-2005, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

GM is aware of the problem. I was part of a team who represent the Cadillac Owners of America regarding this issue and our V's. It affects both '04's and '05's. The '06 rear diff is a beefed up unit. In fact it's the STS-V's rear diff. So we now know it can handle at least 469hp and 430ft/lbs. of torque in a car weighing 250 lbs. more. My hope is that this is enough.

To date I've only heard of 1 differential that was denied warranty claim but there were several including my 4th one that was initially denied but after becoming very vocal and ringing some phones at GM corporate I was able to overturn the ASM's ruling. Even GM doesn't like to go to court. Differentials failing in November on "should" be replaced with the new beefier unit.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Did CTSV05 actually sell already, haven't seen him around in a while. He has gotten the new 06 rear. Has pics and updates. He DID say he thought it was starting to whine though, after a gentle break in with out his kit on it. I had one done already. On the way home from the dealer I herd a whine in 6th, now its all but in 1st gear. I'm waiting to hear more about the new one before I go complain. I do hear a metal on metal grinding once in a while.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

I just scheduled an appointment for Monday with my Caddy. The diff being one of the focuses. I am starting to hear whinning. If they don't make me happy at the dealer I will call cadillac customer service repeatedly and tell them how unhappy I am with them and my dealer. I figure they like to know these things, if they didn't they wouldn't call after I bought the car. I only have 3000 miles
Old 10-25-2005, 09:19 PM
Teching In

has anyone heard any more about the 06 rear broke the case in half at 2500 mi and now the new one is leaking after 80 mi this is gettin old what is everyone doing with heavy mods
Old 10-25-2005, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

First confirmed '06 rear replacement under warranty on the Caddy forum today. As for what do you do with heavy mods? Launch easy, roll out the clutch, avoid hop, avoid power shifting. I do none of the above which is probably why I've replaced mine 4 times now.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cvp33
First confirmed '06 rear replacement under warranty on the Caddy forum today. As for what do you do with heavy mods? Launch easy, roll out the clutch, avoid hop, avoid power shifting. I do none of the above which is probably why I've replaced mine 4 times now.
He thought it was the new 06 diff but it wasn't. He actually got the old version. So it was not confirmed. Nobody to my knowledge has gotten one completely under warranty yet!

Quick Reply: Who has had Rear End Problems? And what did Cadillac do to fix it???