Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Looking for 04 V. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for 04 V. Advice?

Hey Guys. I've been a fan of the V since it first came out. I am now realizing that the 04s are finally getting closer to my price range. I've done some searching on this site and others, but I was looking for some specific feedback from owners. I am trying to become educated on the various "issues" with the 04s. So far, this is what I have found:
1. problem: bad wheel hop on hard acceleration; solution: this is being fixed under warranty
2. problem: bad tires that wear to fast; solution: people switching to non-run flats.

Is the above correct? Is there anything that I am missing? Your feedback will help me negotiate with the dealer and make sure the car of my dreams isn't a disapointment.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:59 PM
Teching In

My take on these issues:
1) The wheel hop is inherent in this car. Some have reduced it by aftermarket kits including replacing the bushings in the rear cradle assembly. There is a TSB out for this and Cadillac will replace the bushings under warranty but the results have been mixed based upon feedback I've heard. I have not had it done to my V. I choose to control wheelhop by slipping the clutch at a dead start. It's hard on the clutch but at least my rear end is still intact.
2) The OEM F1's wear fast simply because they have a soft sticky rubber compound. They aren't "bad" tires for what they're made for and that is excellent traction on dry pavement. You can choose to change to whatever you want but I prefer to stay with runflats since they give me the steering response I like with the stiff sidewalls. Going to less sticky tires can help with the wheel hop. Runflat tire selection is still limited but will improve as time goes on.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:58 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the feedback. "Bad" was probably the wrong word for the tires. Sorry. Besides the threat of having a V that someone beat badly (I am trying to stay away from leases), is there anything else I should be on the lookout for?
Old 01-04-2006, 11:32 AM
Teching In

My take on these issues:
1) I agree the wheel hop is an inherent issue to the car. The GM kit is similiar to the after market kit & if you can get the dealer to install it then it should eliminate the wheel hop issues.
2) My tires were bald at about 9000 miles. Run flats may or may not be the solution to this problem. The fact of the matter is that the V is a sprots car and if you plan to drive it as such then you want a soft compound tire and you will wear any tire down that is soft. Soft & sticky tires are exactly what you want though because you ideally aim to feel all the torque the car can put down

As far as other issues, both myself and a few others have had some pretty bad electrical problems with the car. My account of these problems and how GM has treated me can be found here: CTS-V Problems.

I wish you the best of luck in your search for the perfect V. I love the car & would keep my V for a long time if GM can get my electrical problems ironed out. One more thing though, don't count the 05's out when you're searching for a car. The price on both model years has fallen quite a bit (I took ~$12k loss in the first 8 months).
Old 01-04-2006, 11:51 AM
Teching In

torch - I checked out your problems thread....YIKES! Hope things get worked out for you. I'm not a big fan of leasing, but would that give a person more protection or options in this type of situation?
Old 01-04-2006, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Absolutly not, the SmartBuy works kind of like a lease in that after 4 years I can turn the car back in and get something else without penalty (unless I exceed milage). I have the car on a 4 year, 40,000 mile smartbuy and am having hell getting these issues taken care of. As far as you saying you would stay away from a leased vehicle, I would advise you to stay away from a vehicle that was rented but the lease terms are pretty specific about how I have to maintain the car and what condition it has to be in. I do not abuse the car any more or less than I would if it was owned by me and I imagine that most other people in similiar situations treat their lease or smartbuy like it was their own.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Well..

I have an 04 v...Lets see... the plastic covering on the buttons for the nav- audio system peels off.The rear end whines and the bushings that hold the diff go bad and the diff slaps up and down when accelerating hard. of course theres the drive shaft clunk when shifting normal. the ac delco batteries from the dealer are no good,,,my 4th battery. All that negative being said I still love IT The only thing Id trade for It would be an 06..z06
Old 01-04-2006, 12:19 PM
Teching In

alcindus, i'm on my 3rd nav system. the electrical system in the car is absolutly horrible.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:37 PM
TECH Addict

WOW!!!!!

Well, i will say this, you will find that the same ppl that complain or are just concerned about the issues with this car will also be the same ppl that will say they will never get another car.

The fact is that there really isnt another car like this on the road. Imo, there simply isnt!!!!! Its luxurious, fast, with a 6spd and REAL WHEEL DRIVE. Thank god this car isnt FWD...OMG what a waste that would of been!! OH, and its a four door...unless you want something like an EVO, which doesnt even compare...come one, there is nothing like it!!! period!!

Anyways, (sigh) I have similar issues and though i do find myself getting into "that" mood....i just remind myself that is a caddy and that it's pimp!!!

a) the wheel hop. There have been some that do have it and some that dont. It depends on how you drive and most will have it. The TSB will give you bushings that reduce it by 40-60% but its still there. Also, the bushings squeak!!!!!! God, that annoying!!! A few have tried the BMR kit and have mixed feelings...I personally like and will get the KARS CRADLE KIT stage 3. Its well put together and addresses the wheelhop and clunking while cruising around. It's not an absolute fix but it gets the job done about 90% and plants the rear making it more fun to drive fast. Also, tires should help but you have to deal with, IMO, the rear shocks which are self leveling and cause more wheelhop than the tires do. Basically, i feel it a big contributor to the wheel hop because they dont allow the rear to stay planted since they push back "up" when the rear is compressed under launch or in a deep corner. Therefore, unplanting the rear and causing the tires to skip instead of retaining the grip they previously had.

b) The rear whine. Well, basically, this is a GM brainfart, like the parking brake handle, but im not gonna say it was intentional to save cost but......you decide. Basically, you have a few things going on here. First and formost...the rear in an 04-05 V is the same from the base model cts!!! So, if these things fail in a regular cts, which they do regularly, with almost over 100 more hp/trq., what do you think is gonna happen when you install it in a V? HMMM..... So, the fix is an 06' diff with is beefier, by reports given, and should help. The other two contributing factors is of course the wheel hop, and the driveline deflection that occurs.

The wheelhop is fixed by the above mentioned parts, also even though the GM bushing do squeak, there is a fix which is called permatex anti seige lubricant...it should et rid of the sqeak. Combine this with a Kars kit and your set. (IMO of course!!) Also, the 06' half-shafts are beefier as well so it should be used to for more peace of mind.(all of this stuff, except for the kars, should be under warranty so dont wig-out!!!!)

The driveline deflection is cause because the driveshaft is a two piece design with "hardened" rubber bushings holding everything together. Also, the rear cradle is almost free-floating back there and also has a rubber bushings when mated to the driveshaft. Well, these bushings flex and shift. The rear diff also moves and the subsiquent change in driveline angle is just detrimental to any rear end and its gears.

Again, and this is where i see a possible fix with the kars kit is that it maintains the cradle from delfecting (good!) and avoids the clunk when depressing the clutch. (good!) Also, there was a new driveshaft that under production but was dropped. Its carbon fiber an one piece. I think that polyurethane bush kit for the droveshaft wold help alot to it hasnt been done yet.

I would like to say that is info, on the kars kit, is my object interpretation from accounts ppl have posts from their experience with the kit and not my own. I will get one some and see what all the fuse is about.

c) what, could there be anymore??!! GOSH!!....hahahaha!! depends how you look at it. I mean, thats pretty much it. I know torch is having issues with the electrical system and a few, including myself, have the paint chips on the nav...thank god i only have one though!!!! However, my interior does rattle a bit in places and it will be looked at or i will raise hell...trust me, they have no idea who they sold a car too!! BUHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!! Also, the shifter kinda sucks. Its long but a fix is a UUC shifter that is a great piece. Also, there's a TSB on the flywheel which i feel im applicable and will be addressed.

These are issues that are found in almost all new model cars and it should be expected. With some exception of course....

In reality, i believe the biggest problem is the issues ppl are having with GM reps and their dealers. Not all, but a few have given fellow owners unnecesary headaches that make it that much more difficult to really enjoy this car.

So, some Cliff Notes:

1. Issues and Fixs:
*Wheelhop: factory bushings, BMR kit, Kars stage 3., tires.

*Rearend:factory fix under warranty with an 06 diff assembly..no exceptions!

*Shifter: UUC short shifter with bushings

Must does: CHECK ALL TSBS AND GET IT ALL DONE FIRST. Address the wheelhop and whatever comes up with whatever method you choose though there REALLY isnt much to do..we just make it sound like there is!!.

AND have as much fun as possible!!! You will be driving a piece of cadillac history my friend, its the first in a LONG, LONG time and it will ALWAYS be remembered...look at the 67-69 camaros how popular they are now and im sure they had their issues...

good luck!!!!!

Last edited by obZidian; 01-04-2006 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Obz-

Thanks for all the info! The guy that makes the Kar kit is a fellow-ohioian. Sweet.

Quick Reply: Looking for 04 V. Advice?