Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

How Much HP can I gain from a new Cam?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 02:17 PM
Bad Trader Warning!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow How Much HP can I gain from a new Cam?

I currently have a 228/232 duration .588/.595 Valve lift 114 Lobe!
What cam should I go with and how much HP do you think I would gain?
the local shop told me to put in: 238/244 duration .586/.612 Valve lift 114+4 LSA!
What do you guys think about that cam?
I have ported heads already! With the current set up I'm at 427 RWHP
Old 07-26-2006, 05:14 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TXSilverV
I currently have a 228/232 duration .588/.595 Valve lift 114 Lobe!
What cam should I go with and how much HP do you think I would gain?
the local shop told me to put in: 238/244 duration .586/.612 Valve lift 114+4 LSA!
What do you guys think about that cam?
I have ported heads already! With the current set up I'm at 427 RWHP
All you will do is shift the power curve up. Soggy down low and bigger pull up top. I would venture to say your avg. h.p. will be down with that much cam in a 346. I run a 238/242 in my 408 to give you an idea of cam size. Give me the complete specs of your engine, head flow etc. and I'll run it through my engine program and get you the dyno graph. BTW, I have it dialed in with LSx specs and with complete info, my program is accurate to 2%.

***** in your court.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

that cam is similar to a ms3 it seems. For example, we just installed on in my buddies firehawk and he now make 490rwhp+.... with 430rwhtrq. stock cubes, ported ls6 heads, full bolt-ons. fast 90mm.

results will vary though...

What are you looking for with the cam swap? More top end? Mid range? more snap of the line? I wouldn't concern myself with dyno numbers as much as what you want that thing to run like..

funny, my 408 cam is at 246/248 114 and i make just as much as 2c5 with a m6. You gotta see what works for YOUR combo... it may take a bit of work but most importanty, see what you want from the new cam and go from there.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:54 PM
Bad Trader Warning!

2c5s What do you need on the heads? I will have to call the shop that did the work. All I know is they are stock ported heads. Other than that all internals are stock. Stainless Works Headers, No Cats, Magnaflow exhaust, LPE Cold Air kit, 160 Stat.
I guess I'm looking for more mid range HP. As it stands now it seems like the red line comes real fast.
Thanks for the help!
Old 07-26-2006, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

how choppy would you tolerate your V when idling? There are few different combinations that would yield a sweeter mid range.

DO you have a current graph?

Lately, folks have been using lsk (old school big block ) cam lobes in these ls1's. When match correctly, they have yield'd a strong power boost with less duration when compared to a xe-r lobe. (However, since those weren't truly designed for a roller hydraulic lifter, more for a flat-tappet hydraulic lifter, and with their slow valve closing events, they are more **** to valve float than a snapier xe-r. That is not to say that they are not a good cam selection, however, it should be noted, or at least implied, when dictating valve spring vs. rpm vs. cam events of your cam card)

What i would do is first have mygraph in hand, then search around and see what graphs you might find with the swell in mid range power or which everone fits your style or driving technique. Consider the combo's being used including heads, valves, springs, rockers, intakes, exhuast type, short block materials, drivetrain, etc.

Note, more pwer isn't related to more cam. Sometimes ppl have over camm'd their packages and lost power. Average power is where its at. Some have used a ms3 cam, for example, to get peak power while trading a bit, not much though, in the midrange. However, since most of the time we race is at high rpm, this trade off is practical since the gains on top are generally evil!! Termin8r's car is a good example, cam-only, though recently he went with a set of ported heads and 90mm fast, with a wet-shot, absolutely cleans house with or with out the spray. My buddies firehawk is really nasty, drives slicky smooth with the tune that was applied useing ls1edit, mid0range is strong but when he gets up top, its just nasty on motor. With the direct shot he just added, well, it should be unstoppeable. He runs a magic-stick 237/242 cam. 112 or 114lsa (not sure but i think it a on a 114, installed straight up!)

What kind of application would you yeild this to? meaning, streetracing/drag, road course/autoxn', cliff jumping?
Old 07-26-2006, 11:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by obZidian
how choppy would you tolerate your V when idling? There are few different combinations that would yield a sweeter mid range.

DO you have a current graph?

Lately, folks have been using lsk (old school big block ) cam lobes in these ls1's. When match correctly, they have yield'd a strong power boost with less duration when compared to a xe-r lobe. (However, since those weren't truly designed for a roller hydraulic lifter, more for a flat-tappet hydraulic lifter, and with their slow valve closing events, they are more **** to valve float than a snapier xe-r. That is not to say that they are not a good cam selection, however, it should be noted, or at least implied, when dictating valve spring vs. rpm vs. cam events of your cam card)

What i would do is first have mygraph in hand, then search around and see what graphs you might find with the swell in mid range power or which everone fits your style or driving technique. Consider the combo's being used including heads, valves, springs, rockers, intakes, exhuast type, short block materials, drivetrain, etc.

Note, more pwer isn't related to more cam. Sometimes ppl have over camm'd their packages and lost power. Average power is where its at. Some have used a ms3 cam, for example, to get peak power while trading a bit, not much though, in the midrange. However, since most of the time we race is at high rpm, this trade off is practical since the gains on top are generally evil!! Termin8r's car is a good example, cam-only, though recently he went with a set of ported heads and 90mm fast, with a wet-shot, absolutely cleans house with or with out the spray. My buddies firehawk is really nasty, drives slicky smooth with the tune that was applied useing ls1edit, mid0range is strong but when he gets up top, its just nasty on motor. With the direct shot he just added, well, it should be unstoppeable. He runs a magic-stick 237/242 cam. 112 or 114lsa (not sure but i think it a on a 114, installed straight up!)

What kind of application would you yeild this to? meaning, streetracing/drag, road course/autoxn', cliff jumping?
Where in the hell do you get this BULLSHIT from??
Old 07-27-2006, 12:48 AM
TECH Addict

why dont you ask that program of yours, im sure it will help you dish out your factual information and experience you rely on Sir Knight of the LS1.

with your age, im sure you would of know where the lsk can from, right?
Old 07-27-2006, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

why dont you ask that program of yours, im sure it will help you dish out your factual information and experience you rely on Sir Knight of the LS1.

with your age, im sure you would of know where the lsk can from, right?

Bro.....you really need to stop. Seriously. Get over yourslf as The Knight in Shining INTERNET armor. Relax. I'm getting tired of this ****.

If it's of any worth to anyone on here or not, i'll be asking for 2c5's opinion for my next motor setup. The guy does a cam swap every other weekend just about. Just a thought. Just spec's.....not speculations.

J
Old 07-27-2006, 12:54 PM
10 Second Club

?
O.k., Mr. Experiance. Please tell me which lobe is the XER and whick one is the LSK. Also, please list the similarites to the flat tappet lobe vs. the LSK lobe. To me, they don't look very similar at all, but by the bullshit you typed earlier, you apparently know something I don't, so please school me.

Valve float..... maybe you should install a LSK lobed cam before you try and explain the intricate workings of the design. That way, you actually will have a bit of fact behind your ramblings. With fact and experiance comes credibility, something you're sorely missing and you continue to make obvious.

The computer program I was referring to will show TexasV what happens when you play with cam size. It will show that in fact to increase his mid range, he could go to a smaller cam, not bigger. The loss of power up stairs is minimal, but the gain down low and in the mid range, where he most likely drives 99.9% of time, is dramatically improved. But hey, you already know this stuff don't you. From all your years of experiance and testing different combo's out.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by 2c5s; 07-27-2006 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:08 PM
10 Second Club

Oh, please be direct with your answers. You have never answered a direct question, we'll be waiting.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

D: if you noticed when we have raced from a low MPH, my V winds up alot faster than yours but you catch me in 3Rd. A 4000lbs+ caddie with a big cam, will not be as effective as a "small" cam (torque cam). Now that we know you have a big cam, lets call comp and do a cam request for your caddie with your heads. Lets see what they come up with. WE ALL NEED TORQUE....
Old 07-28-2006, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have done a fraction of what 2c5s and Obzidian have done to there V's but they only have 10 more pounds of torque than me.... They have great advice but call John from SSP...
Old 07-28-2006, 12:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Bro.....you really need to stop. Seriously. Get over yourslf as The Knight in Shining INTERNET armor. Relax. I'm getting tired of this ****.

If it's of any worth to anyone on here or not, i'll be asking for 2c5's opinion for my next motor setup. The guy does a cam swap every other weekend just about. Just a thought. Just spec's.....not speculations.

J
if anything, just dont read my words becuz i will not let ppl like you try to hold me back form speaking my mind... You getting tired, i didn't know i was getting to you... "my bad" (is that how its said, 2c5? )

I have NEVER taken away wat 2c5 has to offer. If anything, he can remember when i asked for some info on installing a map sensor with my 90mm intake. If his program is anythin of what i know, then it should be good. He's asking for head flow numbers, specific flow.... among other things including his views on package building, I assume that his program is worth its price. Hell, i have a demo version of a comp cam type of software... limited but enough to show its capabilities.

If anything, BRO, you need to start reading and stop trying to make yourself seem like speed racer. You know how to drive, WE GET IT, but throwing your weight around, with the words that you post, is quintessentially, well, the sterotype you seem to deny.

If you want to ask to 2c5, well, im sure we will help you pick out a good combo. Those are not sarcastic words, spoken as truthfully and as humble as i can be, he does know his ****. HOWEVER, i..yo.. have a problem with the way he seems to address everyone around him. I really dont care, its his business and he is old enough to see if he can get sleep at night, well, who am i to judge. However, i hold no grudge towards anyone and my words directed towards him are only in fun, words are just words, brotha... and that is that...

"hey, jaime, your views are baised!!!"
Old 07-28-2006, 12:44 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SilveradoSS500
I have done a fraction of what 2c5s and Obzidian have done to there V's but they only have 10 more pounds of torque than me.... They have great advice but call John from SSP...
I would venture to say I have over 20 ft. pounds of TQ at peak from the sliver of a dyno sheet you posted. The meat is what's under the curve.
Obzidians V is stock.

Last edited by 2c5s; 07-28-2006 at 01:06 AM.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2c5s
O.k., Mr. Experiance. Please tell me which lobe is the XER and whick one is the LSK. Also, please list the similarites to the flat tappet lobe vs. the LSK lobe. To me, they don't look very similar at all, but by the bullshit you typed earlier, you apparently know something I don't, so please school me.

Valve float..... maybe you should install a LSK lobed cam before you try and explain the intricate workings of the design. That way, you actually will have a bit of fact behind your ramblings. With fact and experiance comes credibility, something you're sorely missing and you continue to make obvious.

The computer program I was referring to will show TexasV what happens when you play with cam size. It will show that in fact to increase his mid range, he could go to a smaller cam, not bigger. The loss of power up stairs is minimal, but the gain down low and in the mid range, where he most likely drives 99.9% of time, is dramatically improved. But hey, you already know this stuff don't you. From all your years of experiance and testing different combo's out.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Well, do you have a larger pic of the second cam?.... i smell a rat!! That first one looks out of place here, maybe it would fit better in a different section?

I never said that they HAVE floated valves, just that they are more **** than a xe-r lobes cam to smack a piston with higher rpm's. The LSK lobe has a quicker valve opening and longer valve closing events compared to the snapier xe-r cam.

Also, what is the BASIC difference between of a lsk cam and a xe-r of similar dynamic power levels? In general, the lsk will swell in the mid range and fall off a bit at top versus a xe-r cam that might have a silightly weaker mid range but take off up top. So, theoretically, the lsk lobed cam is design to have a stronger, faster swell of power and not be at so high of an rpm. Well, BBC's makes goobs of power but dont REGULARILY/COMMONILY see the type of RPMS we are throwing at these ls1's to make the powe we want them to make, they do it sooner if the added ci those motors have. The more you push a BBC out of its REGULAR/COMMON designed parameters, the more you might run into problems with valve control.

*disclaimer, please take my comparison as just that, a hypothetical experiment. Not all lsk and xe-r cams act as i have stated, this is just for comparison purposes.

Thus, as you increase rpm, you increase the likeliness that if you dont spec your cam correctly with your head design, valves size, gasket size, CC, if you milled the heads... etc.....that you might smack a valve if the valve isn't under complete control from the cam lobes.

This is based on My understanding on what a lsk lobe is, with rpm, it has less valve control, though not by much, compared to a xe-r lobe. So, if this is true, then a cam that closed lazy and opens earlier, and also have a likelyhood to control a valve less with RPM, will have more of a chance to smack a piston when compared to a cam that snaps quick and open a bit later.

What i find interesting is that sometimes the differences between a lsk lobed cam and a xe-r lobes cam is basically where you want your peaks to be. The difference in HP isnt' much, enough to make me go, "yeah, thats new and improved, i need to get it on that." I know what i want from my V, for example, ya'll can and will make your own educated decisions. I have mine. Whenever is see something new like this, i like to know where it came from, where has it been, so on. There are factors that i do and dont like about those lsk lobes, and for one is that this isn't a new lobe design, its been around for a bit and now being applied to ls1's or have gotten recent exposure. They have good early power making charactertics but have high lift versus duration. all in all, pic your posion. Kind like the cam your are imply in your post, right. Less cam, more swell in the mid-range, typical slight drop off at higer rpms... sounds like a lsk cam to me.

2c5, let me see a larger pic of that second cam and you'll have your answer.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:58 AM
TECH Addict

I would venture to say I have over 20 ft. pounds of TQ at peak from the sliver of a dyno sheet you posted. The meat is what's under the curve.
Obzidians V is stock.
right, that through me off a bit, my v is stock... and planing on it until the z28 is done.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:38 AM
10 Second Club

Well, do you have a larger pic of the second cam?.... i smell a rat!! That first one looks out of place here, maybe it would fit better in a different section?

Click the picture........ here is what you said:

"Lately, folks have been using lsk (old school big block ) cam lobes in these ls1's. When match correctly, they have yield'd a strong power boost with less duration when compared to a xe-r lobe. (However, since those weren't truly designed for a roller hydraulic lifter, more for a flat-tappet hydraulic lifter, and with their slow valve closing events,"

So which one is the LSK and XER lobe. The other picture is a flat tappet lobe........ do they look similar?????????? You said the LSK was designed from a flat tappet.
There is no rat to smell. I don't need to resort to B.S. to expose yours.

I never said that they HAVE floated valves, just that they are more **** than a xe-r lobes cam to smack a piston with higher rpm's. The LSK lobe has a quicker valve opening and longer valve closing events compared to the snapier xe-r cam.

"Lately, folks have been using lsk (old school big block ) cam lobes in these ls1's. When match correctly, they have yield'd a strong power boost with less duration when compared to a xe-r lobe. (However, since those weren't truly designed for a roller hydraulic lifter, more for a flat-tappet hydraulic lifter, and with their slow valve closing events"

So which is it, LSK = faster or slower ramps. You seem to be contradicting yourself...... again.

Also, what is the BASIC difference between of a lsk cam and a xe-r of similar dynamic power levels? In general, the lsk will swell in the mid range and fall off a bit at top versus a xe-r cam that might have a silightly weaker mid range but take off up top. So, theoretically, the lsk lobed cam is design to have a stronger, faster swell of power and not be at so high of an rpm. Well, BBC's makes goobs of power but dont REGULARILY/COMMONILY see the type of RPMS we are throwing at these ls1's to make the powe we want them to make, they do it sooner if the added ci those motors have. The more you push a BBC out of its REGULAR/COMMON designed parameters, the more you might run into problems with valve control.

Pure bullshit here. You have no clue what your talking about. This paragraph once again reinforces that you are as ignorant as the day is long on how cams work, how these particular lobes work, how and what dictates power peaks in any engine AND how and where BBC make power.

*disclaimer, please take my comparison as just that, a hypothetical experiment. Not all lsk and xe-r cams act as i have stated, this is just for comparison purposes.

*disclaimer.... are you ******* stoned??*

Thus, as you increase rpm, you increase the likeliness that if you dont spec your cam correctly with your head design, valves size, gasket size, CC, if you milled the heads... etc.....that you might smack a valve if the valve isn't under complete control from the cam lobes.

That's just brilliant, but are sure it just a function of RPM????Is it just LSK lobes you have to watch out for???

This is based on My understanding on what a lsk lobe is, with rpm, it has less valve control, though not by much, compared to a xe-r lobe. So, if this is true, then a cam that closed lazy and opens earlier, and also have a likelyhood to control a valve less with RPM, will have more of a chance to smack a piston when compared to a cam that snaps quick and open a bit later.

Your understanding, is that what you call it?? I call it ignorant bullshit.

What i find interesting is that sometimes the differences between a lsk lobed cam and a xe-r lobes cam is basically where you want your peaks to be.

More ignorant ****.

The difference in HP isnt' much, enough to make me go, "yeah, thats new and improved, i need to get it on that." I know what i want from my V, for example, ya'll can and will make your own educated decisions. I have mine.

You meant to say uneducated guess.

Whenever is see something new like this, i like to know where it came from, where has it been, so on. There are factors that i do and dont like about those lsk lobes, and for one is that this isn't a new lobe design, its been around for a bit and now being applied to ls1's or have gotten recent exposure.

What does that have to do with anything????

They have good early power making charactertics but have high lift versus duration.

That makes no sense at all................... AGAIN!!!

all in all, pic your posion. Kind like the cam your are imply in your post, right. Less cam, more swell in the mid-range, typical slight drop off at higer rpms... sounds like a lsk cam to me.

ROTFLMFAO...Oh does it? Dude, you have no ******* clue at all what you are talking about.

2c5, let me see a larger pic of that second cam and you'll have your answer.

I could FedEx you the cam, but it does not change the fact that you have never seen an LSK lobe, used an LSK lobed cam, and as of a few months ago, never heard of an LSK lobe. BTW, they have been used on LSx's for well over a year and a half. Hardly new. Just new to you.
My reply is in bold letters.

Obozo, stop posting bullshit.

TexasV, if you want my thoughts on a cam, p.m. the info with your email addy and I'll send you a graph comparision and my choice of cam.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:40 AM
Bad Trader Warning!

I'll be getting the flow numbers today from the shop that did the work. You guys know alot more than I do so thanks for the help. Silverrado does have a smaller cam and beats me off the line. He does not have ported heads, just the cam. like he said once I hit third it's over. So yes I want to get more down low and keep as much as I can of the mid range. I have asked the shop that did the work should I do a 90MM intake/throttle body and they tell me it would be a waste of money. Now like I said I know nothing but should'nt I get a nice gain with the FAST products?
I also have one other thing! I see alot of stoker kits for 383 for less than 1,000. What else is involved? is it really that cheap to do a stoker kit? any reason to do it other than forged rod/pistons?
I'm thinking of taking some classes on engine building! Like I said I know how to change the oil and that is it.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Obzidians V is stock.
I agree, i did not know wise old obzidians V is stock! What is your tq at around 3500rpm....re-post a dyno sheet for me
Old 07-28-2006, 09:19 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SilveradoSS500
I agree, i did not know wise old obzidians V is stock! What is your tq at around 3500rpm....re-post a dyno sheet for me

Sorry, scanner ain't scanning..... 3,500 rpm 362 rwt.

Quick Reply: How Much HP can I gain from a new Cam?