Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

CTS-V aftermarket Radiators???

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default CTS-V aftermarket Radiators???

Is there anyone other than Mallett that offers an aftermarket radiator, or radiator/oil cooler combo? I looked at the usual suspects LPE, SLP, Katech etc. But no-one offers a drop in radiator for the V. I'm looking for a set-up for a friend that does some road racing events. I know you can add a stand alone oil-cooler from various companies but he would like to go with a radiator/oil cooler combo if there is one out there.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not that I know...parts are fairly scarce for the car, mallett looks like the only route to me.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:58 AM
10 Second Club

Call Be Cool.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

You know it has a factory oil cooler right?

Edit: oops, it's actually doesn't have one. sorry.

Last edited by JonCR96Z; 09-21-2006 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
You know it has a factory oil cooler right?
Yes
I just figured why upgrade one without the other. If you want to cool the motor for track days you may as well get it all done in one neat unit.
I'm suprised Ron Davis doesn't have anything for these things yet, I've insalled a few of them in C5's and they are awesome!!
Old 09-19-2006, 07:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Well, there are many who do track days, some with blowers. They get hot, but they're fine. Just keep a check on the oil, make sure its always full. Maybe run some proylene glycol antifreeze or atleast an additive(water wetter, purple ice).

Anyways who said you have to have a custom fit radiator, just use a universal. I would keep the oil and coolant seperate. Also if you get bigger coolers, thats also better. More fluid in the system means cooler temps. As long as you don't restrict flow. Just something to think about. I still would say that you'll be finw without it. If it gets hot then just don't run it as hard til it cools.

Jon
Old 09-20-2006, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
Well, there are many who do track days, some with blowers. They get hot, but they're fine. Just keep a check on the oil, make sure its always full. Maybe run some proylene glycol antifreeze or atleast an additive(water wetter, purple ice).

Anyways who said you have to have a custom fit radiator, just use a universal. I would keep the oil and coolant seperate. Also if you get bigger coolers, thats also better. More fluid in the system means cooler temps. As long as you don't restrict flow. Just something to think about. I still would say that you'll be finw without it. If it gets hot then just don't run it as hard til it cools.

Jon
I smoked a 15k engine in a nascar because the owner had that same mentality...."oh dont worry that radiator will be fine" it was from the past season...none the less, you usually dont check your gauges after every corner....I checked mine every 2-3 laps(1/8 mile track)...it took 2 laps for that rad to give, and there goes a 600hp machine down the drain....so basically what Im saying is thats bad advice.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Dude, get the **** out of here. This guy probably knows more on the subject than me and you both.

Not only that but the only advice I gave him was to keep the oil and coolant seperate. The rest were suggestions or just facts to add to the case. I didn't say not to change it, but how many Vs do you know that overheated on the track and ruined thier motors? Sure some get up to 300 degree oil temps, but they ended up ok. If you can find a link to prove your claim that it's so bad to leave it stock, then post it here. The more info the better.

One more thing, who's gives a flying **** what happened to a $15k nascar motor? Did I miss something, is that what this guy has? I don't beleive it is. Was this $15k nascar motor being cooled by a stock CTS-V radiator? If so, that may have been the problem. Hey, **** happens to everybody. Doesn't mean this guy should be worrying about it. I'm sure this guy will do what's right for his situation. I'm also sure that you'll ask me if I'm stupid again. Oh, well. I'll probably live to argue with you another day.

Jon

Last edited by JonCR96Z; 09-20-2006 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, I stated the price of the engine to show you the money lost for something very simple, a new ls6 is alot more expensive than a rad is, and you said he would be fine without an upgraded rad/oil cooler..but hey, who cares ....and to be honest I know of 0 v's that have ruined they're engines ...but hey you run something long enough hard enough it'll give...Im sure he will do whats right....and no, I wont ask you if you are stupid *again* I already know the answer.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:05 AM
Teching In

If you want a much better radiator, call Ron Davis. He makes on for our car, somewhere around $7-800 two week wait...

Quick Reply: CTS-V aftermarket Radiators???