Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Kooks Catted LT's with Stock Catback

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 11:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Kooks Catted LT's with Stock Catback

Just getting the final break in miles in on my '07 CTS-V. I'm in SoCal and know LT's are a no-no, but have 6 years before a mandatory smog check.

Would like to keep my car as stock "appearing" as much as not to bring attention to myself.

So looking at running Kook catted LT's hooked with the proper Kooks transition pipe to my stock exhaust. Would get this installed with a new freeflow filter intake (appears Lingenfelter the only game for '06-07's).

Appears the stock cats/manifolds are the "plug" at this power level.

Topping this with a tune.

Would this be a worthwhile move as most guys run LT's with new catback etc.

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-20-2008, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, it is still worthwile, but you might consider slight modifications to the stock exhaust like a new resonator. There is a corsa resonator for sale in the classifieds here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadill...&cat=23&page=1
Old 03-20-2008, 06:11 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks...you know, I probably should just pop for a Corsa system as well. The volume control for the exhaust note would be right foot. The car would still look stock and I will have a good foundation for a H/C package if I decide to go that route next.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by modsdone

Thanks...you know, I probably should just pop for a Corsa system as well. The volume control for the exhaust note would be right foot. The car would still look stock and I will have a good foundation for a H/C package if I decide to go that route next.
Call Luke at Lindsay Cadillac (www.lindsaycadillac.com) and he can get you a pretty good price on the corsa catback and kooks as well. If you weren't aware, the kooks LT mate best with the corsa and I would say that the kooks/corsa is probably my favorite sound combo on the V.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the lead...will drop Lindsey a note....and I was going to keep this puppy stock...that lasted for exactly 30 days!
Old 03-21-2008, 01:48 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the lead...will drop Lindsey a note....and I was going to keep this puppy stock...that lasted for exactly 30 days!
call epp....they have kooks lt for 850 and ext pipe for 210..dont waste ur money on a lpe cold air intake...they dont do anything
Old 03-21-2008, 04:38 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CTS-V LEE
call epp....they have kooks lt for 850 and ext pipe for 210..dont waste ur money on a lpe cold air intake...they dont do anything
Thanks, I appreciate it! Bob
Old 03-21-2008, 08:33 AM
Staging Lane

hey guys, i have the kooks and corsa combo, before installing the kooks headers i had a great sound, now, when the car revs over 4k rpms it sounds like either something is loose or rattling, and i think it sounds just plain wrong... anyone have any ideas on what it might be? i tried looking around it to see if there were any leaks but couldn't find any...
Old 03-21-2008, 09:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RangerRob
hey guys, i have the kooks and corsa combo, before installing the kooks headers i had a great sound, now, when the car revs over 4k rpms it sounds like either something is loose or rattling, and i think it sounds just plain wrong... anyone have any ideas on what it might be? i tried looking around it to see if there were any leaks but couldn't find any...
did the headers make huge diff in power...seat of ur pants?
Old 03-21-2008, 09:26 AM
Staging Lane

Lee,

Thanks for the leads.

Ranger Rob,

Everything (exhaust) tight, when installed, everything lined up and tightened taking advantage of available clearance to allow movement? Noise only in straight line, through turns etc?

Off subject question, did you get the car tuned? LT's coated?
Old 03-21-2008, 12:24 PM
Staging Lane

Lee,

Thanks for the leads.

Ranger Rob,

Everything (exhaust) tight, when installed, everything lined up and tightened taking advantage of available clearance to allow movement? Noise only in straight line, through turns etc?

Off subject question, did you get the car tuned? LT's coated?
everything should be tight, had a shop nearby do it all, they said it was good to go, tuned it, i hear it on WOT and when i just rev it when i'm parked, i took a video of it last night and am trying to figure out how to put it onto my pc so i can upload it, will share as soon as i figure it out
Old 03-22-2008, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RangerRob
everything should be tight, had a shop nearby do it all, they said it was good to go, tuned it, i hear it on WOT and when i just rev it when i'm parked, i took a video of it last night and am trying to figure out how to put it onto my pc so i can upload it, will share as soon as i figure it out
Rob,

If it sounds like a 'flapping' noise, then you have a header gasket leak. Did you re-torque the manifold bolts after a few hundred miles?

This is somewhat of a known issue with the kooks headers. If retightening doesn't work, then you can either live it, or try getting abetter gasket. It should be noted that Kooks switched to newer/better gaskets a few weeks back for this reason.

-Chris
Old 03-22-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CTSV_510
Yes, it is still worthwile, but you might consider slight modifications to the stock exhaust like a new resonator. There is a corsa resonator for sale in the classifieds here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadill...&cat=23&page=1
BTW, that's my resonator for sale

I have Corsa + kooks. If I had it to do over again, I probabaly would modify the stock 2.5" system, unless I wante/needed to go to a 3" system. The stocker flows very well (I think corsa advertises an 18% gain in flow, which isn't much), and is a true dual with an h pipe from the factory (wow!). The only thing I would add to the OEM, is something to adjust the sound. That can be done via changing the resonator, the mufflers or both.

The 'magic-suace' that Corsa brings to the table is their RSC system, which cancles out the low rpm 'drone', but really let's it sing over 3k rpm's.

The resonator I'm selling would make a good starting point for a roll-your own OEM modded exhaust.

-Chris

Quick Reply: Kooks Catted LT's with Stock Catback