Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

First to second shift giving me hell?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 01:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First to second shift giving me hell?!?

I saw the thread about someone having trouble going to R, but this just isn't my problem. 8 out of 10 times, normal driving, I make the 1-2 shift it won't go into second. If I go from 3 or 4 to 2 it works fine. Anyone had this problem? Any ideas? It's really starting to ****-me-off.

As an aside, I know how to drive an M6. Had an 04 Vette, 02 WS6, 04 Cobra, 06 Honda Accord, 93 Rx7, and an 02 Cummins truck all 6 speeds with the exception of the Mazda(5 speed,) yet I have NEVER 1 time had this problem. I knew someone was going to throw out the obligatory "learn to drive redneck" !

Please help
Old 03-24-2008, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did you just get your V? Are you referring to the cags (computer aided gear selection), aka 1st to 4th / skip shift "feature" of the V? I think the triggers for 2nd gear being blocked are: less than 21% throttle, between 14-19 mph, and coolant temperature above 169 F. You can get a cags eliminator for under $20 that literally plugs right in and lets you use 2nd gear whenever you want.

Contact type911 on the cadillacforums.com they are $13 shipped: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...et-minded.html
Old 03-24-2008, 08:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Beyond CAGS there are a few issues.

1) The hydrolic line for the clutch runs fairly close to the exhaust manifolds, and can heat up. This causes the fluid to get pretty nasty, fairly quickly. Check you clutch fluid. If it's black, suck as much out with a turkey baster as you can, and refil with DOT4. Also make sure it's topped all the way off.

2) If this doesn't fix the issue, then you may have to bleed the clutch, which is a giant PITA. If you ever need to go into the bell housing for anything (clutch replacement), make sure you install a remote bleeder, as it will make this task 1000x easier.

3) The 1-2 synchro's were upgraded in the '06+ models I believe, because they were wearing out prematurely. If the above does help, this may be your issue.

Additionally, not sure if you have an aftermarket short shifter yet, but this is an absolute MUST DO mod. The OEM blob of rubber is horrific. Getting something better in there (UUC or KaTech, are the shifters of prefference), will defintaly help the 'feel' of shifting.

If you are still under warranty, take it in, and have the dealer fix it.

-Chris
Old 03-24-2008, 09:50 AM
Teching In

I agree with CTSV_510. It sounds like CAGS. If not, a few have had problems with the shifters. I'm not 100% sure of the issue, someone here can shed more light. I think it has something to do with the linkage. I know the previous owner of my car had the shifter replaced.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CTSV_510
Did you just get your V? Are you referring to the cags (computer aided gear selection), aka 1st to 4th / skip shift "feature" of the V? I think the triggers for 2nd gear being blocked are: less than 21% throttle, between 14-19 mph, and coolant temperature above 169 F. You can get a cags eliminator for under $20 that literally plugs right in and lets you use 2nd gear whenever you want.

Contact type911 on the cadillacforums.com they are $13 shipped: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...et-minded.html

That's it. I noticed a little sign when it happened today. Started shifting later and the problem was eliminated.

Thank all of you for the help; I really appreciate it.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by trukk
3) The 1-2 synchro's were upgraded in the '06+ models I believe, because they were wearing out prematurely. If the above does help, this may be your issue.
i can get 1/2, its alittle rougher than than normal, my big thing is i can't get back to 2nd or 1st going faster than say 10mph. since i just got the car i need to see how the dealer handles the leaking rad. before i bring up the bust synchro :o
Old 03-24-2008, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NoRice
i can get 1/2, its alittle rougher than than normal, my big thing is i can't get back to 2nd or 1st going faster than say 10mph. since i just got the car i need to see how the dealer handles the leaking rad. before i bring up the bust synchro :o
leaking radiator = new radiator
Old 03-24-2008, 07:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CTSV_510
leaking radiator = new radiator
o i know, the service writer didn't sound to happy when i was running down my list so i dropped a few things at the end and we'll see what BS they try and pull
Old 03-26-2008, 07:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NoRice
It does kinda sound like a synchro issue. My old C5 was a little rough getting into 2nd gear sometimes, new synchros and a fluid change made a world of difference.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

only had my V for a month and the CAGS has got to go. It isn't even receptive to a quick shot into 3rd when you hit the stopper..you still have to let off, then hit 3rd, or settle for 4th. meantime this could get you killed. How it was ever included as a requirement is insane. I was very suprised at the overall mushiness and slopbox this thing has... throws are waaay too long. clutch is also way more spongier and rubber band-like than I suspected. WHo needs that much clutch and shifter travel on a 400hp car?? this isn't a honda. We bought this car because we KNOW how to drive.
I also think the published 0-60 times are off. rolling starts- ok, not many foes. start from 1st- forget it. I can get beat by weak ricers. of course if I am still on the road and have 2 tires, I will burn them very soon after....oh, If I dont burn up the engine first. if you happen to catch the gears correctly, and have some stiiiicy tires, ok. 5.0-5.75, but all the 4.6-5.0 sec, --stock?,

nope.

Quick Reply: First to second shift giving me hell?!?