Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Alright sound off for your favorite CTS-V brake pad set.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alright sound off for your favorite CTS-V brake pad set.

Brake pads are on the squealer tabs on my V. I was going to use OEM anyone want to brag for a different pad set?
Old 09-09-2008, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This is going to totaly depend on your application. Afew idea's.

1) The OEM's used to be (in '04 / '05) Ferodo HT1000's. I assume that they still are or are something comparable. These are damn nice pads. They do tend to dust a fair amount though. Mine never really squeeled though, which is nice. Mine laster about 35k miles

2) I tried Hawk HPS, ceramic pads. These barely dusted, and what did come off was a light cinamon color, instead of coal black like the stockers. The main issue with these, is they do not grab as hard as the OEM brakes. If you can deal with a bit less performance, and the break dust is killing you, these are an option. Another simialr option would be CarboTech Bobcats. I swapped these out after about 15k miles, as the performance loss was killing me. I ran these at the track one time, and had to buy new pads at the track, because these faded like crazy ( I couldn't even get the car into ABS after a few laps)

3) I currently run Hawk HP+'s. They bite harder than stock, and dust about the same. They do tend to squeel a bit though. I love the performance on these. They are a real confidence booster, especially in stop and go traffic. The car really stops now. These worked great at the track as well, untill I changed to R compound tires, whcih then outperformed these pads. I'm on my second set of HP+'s. Expect these to last approximately 25k miles.

4) I've run Carbotech XP10's at the track, and they stop like no ones business, and are very easy on rotors (unlike Hawk blues, or their DTC series, whihc just much rotors). The only downside is I went through an entire set in one weekend.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Last edited by trukk; 09-09-2008 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Spellerating
Old 09-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

I put on a set of Monroe DX1053 and DX1001 on my wifes car a couple months ago and am very impressed with them so far.

They are much quieter then the stockers, dust dramatically less, and when they get some heat in them they really grab well. I don't track my car, so can't tell you how they are for that, but for the price on RockAuto I'm pretty sure they rock.

I put some raybestos on my C5, and they dust something fierce... I wasn't sure who I wanted to go with, which is why I didn't order the same mfg for both. Now I'm Monroe all the way.

Also I'm sure the Carbo and Hawk are much better track pads, but I have a hard time justifying paying at least double the price for my uses.

Jay
Old 09-09-2008, 12:38 PM
Banned

4) I've run Carbotech XP10's at the track, and they stop like no ones business, and are very easy on rotors (unlike Hawk blues, or their DTC series, whihc just much rotors). The only downside is I went through an entire set in one weekend.

do you think these would be good for over 7-10k with street driving?
Old 09-09-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OHSIXCTSV

do you think these would be good for over 7-10k with street driving?
You wouldn't want to run those on the street.

Here's a list of carbotech's pads:

http://www.ctbrakes.com/faqs.html#compounds1

I'd assume that the Bobcats are similar to the HPS's, and the Carbotech™ AX6™ (1106™) are similar to the HP+'s. A buddy of mine said he called Carbotech, and they recommended the XP8's as the most agressive pad that could do still do street duty. I'd try the AX-6's first though. the HP+'s I have now really grab hard, and aside from comming fresh out of the car wash, I never have any problem with them not being warm enough to work. With the XP-8's you'd probabaly have to be a bit cautious, as they need to get up to at least 200 degrees before they start to work well.

For all those tuning out on this discusion, don't discount a minor brake pad compund upgrade. It really enhances the driving experience. People easly shell out $250 bucks for a CAI that shows minimal gains. For the same price in brake pads, you'll see way more than a minimal increase in stopping power.

Whenever I take my friends out for the first time in my car, they really like the acceleration. I always tell them you haven't seen anything yet, and do a really hard 75 to 10 mph decel, and the usual description is "holy **** !!"

-Chris
Old 09-09-2008, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Thank you for your input. For the money (at my cost), and how good the factory pads are I will roll OEM for now!!
Old 09-10-2008, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oem on a NASA track where horrible. After the first time around the track the brakes no longer work at all.

I switched to a custom compound that was made and 5000% better. Yes they are squeelers... But, they do thier job and they do it good! Rotor life is bad, they do dust, but, well, this isnt a normal caddy we all are driving. LOL

I think they cost me 800 bucks for the pads, I do have another set if any brave souls out there want to be able to lock up all 4 tires at 160mph if needed.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:30 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced the stock pads/rotors with drilled OEM rotors and Hawk HPS pads. The stopping power was noticeably reduced, but it will still stop 2x as hard as 99.99% of the other cars on the road, and that's what I'm concerned about.

I notice very little dust with the HPS, as opposed to 10lbs per wheel with the stockers.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wait4me
oem on a NASA track where horrible. After the first time around the track the brakes no longer work at all.

I switched to a custom compound that was made and 5000% better. Yes they are squeelers... But, they do thier job and they do it good! Rotor life is bad, they do dust, but, well, this isnt a normal caddy we all are driving. LOL

I think they cost me 800 bucks for the pads, I do have another set if any brave souls out there want to be able to lock up all 4 tires at 160mph if needed.
Finish the story though....you had 800 hp + considerabley more weight, and probabaly stickier tires than OEM's.

If you had a stock HP car (thus not hitting crazy high speeds on the straights), with stock weight (less taxing to slow down), and OEM tires (sticky tires will outperform the OEM pads), you woul dhave been fine with the OEM's untill you got really good at tracking the car.

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
I replaced the stock pads/rotors with drilled OEM rotors and Hawk HPS pads. The stopping power was noticeably reduced, but it will still stop 2x as hard as 99.99% of the other cars on the road, and that's what I'm concerned about.

I notice very little dust with the HPS, as opposed to 10lbs per wheel with the stockers.

Great observation. Most people still seem to think that HPS's give similar performance to the OEM's. They don't. But you are dead on, that even with HPS's you are still stoppping great.

-Chris
Old 09-10-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Great thread so far. I want to do a complete brake upgrade in the near future. Good info here. Not to hijack, but any other affordable brake system upgrades? I'd love some two piece rotors and maybe even better calipers, but I think that's out of the budget for right now. I do have some stainless lines I need to put on. Any real difference there? I have some on my AWD Talon but haven't been able to drive it much.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:18 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UnsafeAtAnySpd
Great thread so far. I want to do a complete brake upgrade in the near future. Good info here. Not to hijack, but any other affordable brake system upgrades? I'd love some two piece rotors and maybe even better calipers, but I think that's out of the budget for right now. I do have some stainless lines I need to put on. Any real difference there? I have some on my AWD Talon but haven't been able to drive it much.
The OEM drilled rotors are about $300 for each end, and $100 for the Hawk pads on each end, so about $800 total. I painted the rotor hats/edges black and they have the 2-piece rotor look now, looks like the rotors are floating, especially with my black wheels.

Name:  IMG_4544.jpg
Views: 2407
Size:  80.6 KB

PS - 06/07 center caps are awaiting install.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The OEM brakes are one of the best features on this car. With aggressive pads, OEM rotors, braided brake lines, top shelf high temp fluid, Titanium shims and some brake cooling ducts, it should be a long time before you start outperforming your brakes. IMHO there are a lot of other areas to put you mod money before messing with the brakes on the V.

My $0.02,

Chris
Old 09-11-2008, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

OEM front pad set part #89047725 is a FERODO HP1000/1

Last edited by CORNER CARVER; 09-11-2008 at 09:51 AM. Reason: added #
Old 09-11-2008, 12:59 PM
TECH Regular

HPS+ is a bit noisy on the street? Much worse then stock or about the same?
Old 09-11-2008, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trukk
The OEM brakes are one of the best features on this car. With aggressive pads, OEM rotors, braided brake lines, top shelf high temp fluid, Titanium shims and some brake cooling ducts, it should be a long time before you start outperforming your brakes. IMHO there are a lot of other areas to put you mod money before messing with the brakes on the V.

My $0.02,

Chris
Exactly what I wanted to hear. I've always thought these brakes were awesome, but have seen some things lately hinting at them underperforming on the track. I kind of figured this wouldn't come into play for me at my current level.

Source for the shims and ducts?
Old 09-12-2008, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DoctorNick
HPS+ is a bit noisy on the street? Much worse then stock or about the same?
It's hard to quantify. They are noisier but only really when you are going very slow (i.e. 5 mph) in slow and go traffic (at least in my experience). It doesn't bother me, but YMMV. (TBW, it's HP+, not HPS+).

Exactly what I wanted to hear. I've always thought these brakes were awesome, but have seen some things lately hinting at them underperforming on the track. I kind of figured this wouldn't come into play for me at my current level.

Source for the shims and ducts?
http://tispeed.com/index.php?main_pa...products_id=31

-Chris
Old 09-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Banned

i acctually like the little squeel my stockers let off now and then,
it reminds me that we have bad *** brembos holding things down.
and this little piggy went weee weee weee from 60 to 0 in 0 seconds.
ur stopped befor you start. <----in honor of "THE DEAN"!
Old 09-13-2008, 01:37 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by trukk

Chris
Chris: I use the XP12's up front and XP10's in the rear. Have lasted two weekends at the track and show virtually no wear at all. I was also using x-drilled front and rear and they would suck your eyeballs out of your head on heavy stops. Problem was they XP12's cracked the front rotors like it was going out of style. About 2 days on the track and they were cracked all the way through and undriveable. Probably just cheap rotors but I'm going with just slotted and cryo'd up front for MidOhio on October 4,5. Hopefully they'll have the same stopping power.

Brian
aka pisnuoff.

Quick Reply: Alright sound off for your favorite CTS-V brake pad set.