Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Got my D2 coilovers on!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Got my D2 coilovers on!

My buddy raptorws6 came up from SC for the weekend so I put him to work LOL. We didn't get started till late Saturday afternoon and would have finished last night but didn't have a socket we needed so finished up today. I gotta say overall it was a very easy install. Only took us three times to get the front where I wanted it without any rubbing and the rear we got on the first shot. So far I am very pleased with the ride. It is stiff yet so much smoother than my stock FE4s were. Don't mind the dirty girl lol.

OE suspension

After D2s

Ground clearance shots

Oh yeah, I also got me a Trunk Monkey! Thanks, Corey!
Old 01-20-2013, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks amazing! have you had any time to drive on them much? I am very interested in coilovers and need some actual reviews to convince me what type to get.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ me too.
OP your V looks amazing!
what tire are you running?
Old 01-20-2013, 10:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

With the way you're lowered, you're going to screw up your fenders the first time you hit a bump while turning and have to pay $3000 to have the front end of your car repaired and repainted. Ask me how I know.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:13 PM
Teching In

fender rolling time. looks good though, can't wait to hear an overall driveability review.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ speaking from experience, roll those fenders! I love the look of your stance, it's about where I was before I damn near shredded my tires and disintegrated the inner plastic fender wells. If you don't have rubbing then that's a perfect stance, just keep a close eye and be wary. Like fuzzy said I now have some nice rumples in my fender...
Old 01-20-2013, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually we drove it for a good while today. The top D2 pic is my first setting which did catch the fenders the first time we turned the wheels. So we backed it in and tried again. It took three adjustments to get it where it is in the 3/4 shot above. Each time we would drive on the same road and anywhere we heard it scrub before we would listen for it again. Where it sits now I have no scrubbing at any speed over some pretty rough pavement. I have already acquired the use of a fender roller so that will be happening soon.

As far as drivability and ride quality I love it so far. Right now I am sitting at 25" ground to lip in the front and 26.5" rear. I have Faulken 452s 255/40 and 275/40.
The following users liked this post:
blk04V (07-11-2020)
Old 01-21-2013, 12:04 AM
Staging Lane

Car looks great!! Very nice!

For those of you who had to roll fenders.....what were you lowered on?
Old 01-21-2013, 04:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What headers are those, I dont remember mine hanging down even close to that low.

Stance looks good though.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

They are Pacesetters.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
With the way you're lowered, you're going to screw up your fenders the first time you hit a bump while turning and have to pay $3000 to have the front end of your car repaired and repainted. Ask me how I know.
"Ask me how I know" .... this literally made me chuckle out loud, sorry Fuzzy!

Does the fender rolling apply to coilovers where you're dropping more than 1"? i.e. if you go with H&R/Eibach lower springs you won't need to roll the fenders with stock wheels/tires?
Old 01-21-2013, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just a little update for those who asked. After driving to and from work today I experienced only one incident of rubbing but I believe it may have only been the rubber piece under the bumper. Of course it also happened in a place where I intentionally drove a little faster over a dip in the road just to see if it would scrub. I think I am definitely gonna roll the fenders just to be on the safe side but overall I am extremely happy with it right now.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^ Good to hear! Rolling the fenders would def be a good choice for anyone lowering their ride IMO. I did mine with a east wood fender roller I rented off craigslist for $20, made quick solid, clean work of them. I am running stock tires all round.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by pimpin_one
"Ask me how I know" .... this literally made me chuckle out loud, sorry Fuzzy!

Does the fender rolling apply to coilovers where you're dropping more than 1"? i.e. if you go with H&R/Eibach lower springs you won't need to roll the fenders with stock wheels/tires?
^what he asked!!
Old 01-22-2013, 12:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The question doesn't make sense to me. The lower you go, the more important it is to roll your fenders. Isn't that obvious?
Old 01-22-2013, 02:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The damage I did to my fenders was on H&R springs (which by the way lower your car way more than 1"), I rolled my fenders after shredding my front drivers side tire on H&R's. I bought my coilovers so I could raise the car as the H&R setup was too damn low destroying not only my fenders by my headers and exhaust as well!
Old 01-22-2013, 06:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by etcts-v
The damage I did to my fenders was on H&R springs (which by the way lower your car way more than 1"), I rolled my fenders after shredding my front drivers side tire on H&R's. I bought my coilovers so I could raise the car as the H&R setup was too damn low destroying not only my fenders by my headers and exhaust as well!
Sorry to hear, thanks for the explanation
Old 01-22-2013, 07:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by SSmokd U
After D2s
How much higher could you raise them if one were so inclined?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
I think the minimum drop is about 1". the rear springs are 9" and i think that might be the limiting factor for ride height.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Originally Posted by Onefast V
I think the minimum drop is about 1". the rear springs are 9" and i think that might be the limiting factor for ride height.
Confused? These can be adjusted by the threaded body of the shock, not just the spring. So...you should be able to go from stock height or possibly higher (if you wanted) to slammed low (tearing up your fenders).

I could see it possibly being a problem on the rear, as it was intended to be installed (not as a true coilover) then yes, you essentially loose that adjustability. Which thinking about it now....that adjustment is almost worthless if not ran as a true coilover setup.

Quick Reply: Got my D2 coilovers on!