Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Revhift Rear Upper Control Bushing Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revhift Rear Upper Control Bushing Install

I started the install of all my bushings yesterday but ran into an issue with the Upper Control Arm Bushings, has anybody successfully installe these yet?

I dropped the cradle and pulled the control arms with no issue, also removed the OEM bushings with no trouble but now cannot get the revshift bushings pressed in for the life of me. I got one side in just fine buy when I try to push the other side on, the center hole is too small for the center metal sleeve to go on.

Tried big *** C clamp and dead blow hammer with zero success. I lubed it up really well but the hole is too small, you can see the metal rod digging into the sidewalks if the inside of the bushing. Just getting the two halves of the bushing apart was a major PITA to start!

Any tips? I think I'm going to stop by Harbor freight on my way home and pick up a 1ton press.

I have pics of everything I will throw up tonight.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I guess my first avenue would be call revshift! Then, if you can, remove the side you already installed (remove the bushing if possible) then measure and compare/contrast. Also check the arm hole, making sure there are no burrs/obstructions in your way. Then, I would double check if you're putting the wrong bushing in there. Not to insult, I'm just assuming you bought all of their bushings and might have the wrong one in your hand?
Old 02-04-2013, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
I guess my first avenue would be call revshift! Then, if you can, remove the side you already installed (remove the bushing if possible) then measure and compare/contrast. Also check the arm hole, making sure there are no burrs/obstructions in your way. Then, I would double check if you're putting the wrong bushing in there. Not to insult, I'm just assuming you bought all of their bushings and might have the wrong one in your hand?
Haha, yeah they are the correct bushings (only set I have that comes with four bushings). No burrs or obstructions, the ID diameter inside the bushing is smaller than the OD of the metal sleeve. BUT that said they fit when not in the control arm (they come pressed together). So my guess is the control arm is compressing the bushing just enough to cause an issue. You can see clearly the diameter is an issue, I'll throw up a pic tonight.

I'm going to try heating the control arms up a bit to see if they will expand enough to get them together.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

I would stay away from heating it....

So...let me get this straight the bushing is in the control arm, just the metal sleeve is not? I also assume that the bushings came assembled with the sleeves in either of them as they def are a PITA to take apart. So that says the sleeve fits. If the bushings are in the arm and the sleeve is not going in have you tried installing it from both side? Also, did you use the hammer as a first attempt? Because if so, then it may have not gone straight and each hammer blow just put a gouge/groove in the bushing. In which case I then might heat it to get the sleeve installed.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

Also!!! Is there a front and rear bushing? Similar to the cradle bushings, and you might have them flip flopped? And just got lucky on the otherside without noticing?

BTW I have not done these bushing to my V yet. I'm just going off experience and tossing ideas out.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

double post....

Last edited by Onefast V; 02-04-2013 at 05:13 PM. Reason: double post
Old 02-04-2013, 05:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by etcts-v
I started the install of all my bushings yesterday but ran into an issue with the Upper Control Arm Bushings, has anybody successfully installe these yet?

I dropped the cradle and pulled the control arms with no issue, also removed the OEM bushings with no trouble but now cannot get the revshift bushings pressed in for the life of me. I got one side in just fine buy when I try to push the other side on, the center hole is too small for the center metal sleeve to go on.

Tried big *** C clamp and dead blow hammer with zero success. I lubed it up really well but the hole is too small, you can see the metal rod digging into the sidewalks if the inside of the bushing. Just getting the two halves of the bushing apart was a major PITA to start!

Any tips? I think I'm going to stop by Harbor freight on my way home and pick up a 1ton press.

I have pics of everything I will throw up tonight.
Easy press the two bushings in first with out the inner metal sleeve. That part should be easy. Then push in the metal sleeve last. If you don't o it this way you are basically trapping air inside the bushing fitting location and it wont compress... obviously. I was then able to use a c-clamp to press them in fairly easily
Old 02-04-2013, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Onefast V
Easy press the two bushings in first with out the inner metal sleeve. That part should be easy. Then push in the metal sleeve last. If you don't o it this way you are basically trapping air inside the bushing fitting location and it wont compress... obviously. I was then able to use a c-clamp to press them in fairly easily
HA! Don't know why I didn't think of that, makes sense I'll give that a try this evening.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
I would stay away from heating it....

So...let me get this straight the bushing is in the control arm, just the metal sleeve is not? I also assume that the bushings came assembled with the sleeves in either of them as they def are a PITA to take apart. So that says the sleeve fits. If the bushings are in the arm and the sleeve is not going in have you tried installing it from both side? Also, did you use the hammer as a first attempt? Because if so, then it may have not gone straight and each hammer blow just put a gouge/groove in the bushing. In which case I then might heat it to get the sleeve installed.
One side is in the control arm now and the other side (with the metal sleeve poking out of it) is what I'm trying to press in on the other side. I have tried both sides to no avail but I'm thinking my issue with what OnefastV referred to, I need to pull the inner metal sleeve out, put both bushings in then press the innner metal sleeve in. I'm still a little worried that the OD of the metal sleeve will be larger than the ID of the holes that run through the center of the bushings but we'll give it a shot!

The sleeve does fit when the bushings are not in the control arm which is what is so confusing to me? I did use the C clamp before I tried the hammer, was worried I would mess something up! But after frustration comes hammer!!

Like you said, I'm not too thrilled about busting out the torch installing brand new bushings...

I'll post some pics tonight, will make everything a lot easier to follow!
Old 02-04-2013, 05:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Can you measure the sleeve? I'll give you a comparison measurement.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Can you measure the sleeve? I'll give you a comparison measurement.
Yeah I'll grab a measurement when I get home and post up with the pics.

Thanks for all the help fella's, incredibly frustrated yesterday...
Old 02-04-2013, 10:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by etcts-v
Yeah I'll grab a measurement when I get home and post up with the pics.

Thanks for all the help fella's, incredibly frustrated yesterday...
Digital caliper is showing an outer diameter of 22.31 mm.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright fellas I got one in! One Fast V's approach worked, that said it was still a real PITA with a C-Clamp and dead blow so I'm making a trip to harbor freight tomorrow for a press which should make quick work of them (also have to figure out how to get the one I started yesterday back apart!).

I used the dead blow to get the bushings in on each side (just some light taps) and the C-clamp to get the center metal sleeve pressed in which was the bear.

I think a small part of the issue is these red bushings are solid as a rock, but it is good to know these bushings aren't going anywhere once they are in!

Fuzzy I got the same od with my caliper so it's good to know we have the same size.

Here are some photos:

Cradle Dropped / Top of Control Arms

Holes Drilled in Old Bushing

Old Bushing Sleeve Removed

Old Bushing

New Bushing Installed

Old 02-05-2013, 08:37 AM
TECH Resident

To get the one out to already installed use a deep or regular socket (depending on size of your c-clamp) that is roughly the same OD as the metal sleeve (i believe it was around the size of a 15mm socket) and then put a larger socket on the other side. This will allow you to use the c-clamp to press the sleeve out. be careful not to press the socket in to far and get it stuck!

I'm surprised you had that much trouble installing them once i put both bushings in first (which i could do by hand) I was able to start the metal sleeve by hand and then finish it with the c-clamp. NOTE: make sure you leave space for air to evacuate when using the C-clamp also otherwise you will have one hell of a time will both bushing holes covered...
Old 02-05-2013, 11:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't read through all of the posts but have you tried using a press?
Old 02-05-2013, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Onefast V
To get the one out to already installed use a deep or regular socket (depending on size of your c-clamp) that is roughly the same OD as the metal sleeve (i believe it was around the size of a 15mm socket) and then put a larger socket on the other side. This will allow you to use the c-clamp to press the sleeve out. be careful not to press the socket in to far and get it stuck!

I'm surprised you had that much trouble installing them once i put both bushings in first (which i could do by hand) I was able to start the metal sleeve by hand and then finish it with the c-clamp. NOTE: make sure you leave space for air to evacuate when using the C-clamp also otherwise you will have one hell of a time will both bushing holes covered...
Perfect thank you for the tip!! After thinking about it, since all the other bushings I will be putting in will need to be installed on the car so maybe a press investment isn't necessary, so I'm going to go see if I can get a better C-clamp setup.

It sounds like we've had quite contrasting experiences getting these installed! There is no way I could push these in by hand, I even had to file the edges a touch just so the bushing would stay put while I tapped it with the hammer. And the Metal Sleeve, forget about it, no way that thing would slide even 1/8 of a inch without some forced hammer/clamp love...
Old 02-05-2013, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 9t8z28
I didn't read through all of the posts but have you tried using a press?
I didn't, was going to go pick one up today but I'm starting to re-think that investment as it will only be helpful for these bushings which I can remove from the vehicle.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Why don't you just get a big bolt, some wide washers, and a nut to pull the bushing together?
Old 02-05-2013, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Why don't you just get a big bolt, some wide washers, and a nut to pull the bushing together?
That sir is a fantastic idea!!
Old 02-05-2013, 01:25 PM
TECH Resident

perhaps the bolt and nut that mount it to the car.... Again be careful that this method does not trap air inside the bushings.

Quick Reply: Revhift Rear Upper Control Bushing Install