Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

"HOT" e-tests anwhere???q

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RAMPANT
Yes it will qualify for Hot Rod Status, but even that seems to be different now. You still have to meet the standards of the year it was built if the motor went in after 1999.
that makes no sense, did you get that from drive clean itself or word or mouth? The chassis year is whats used to allow it qualify for hot rod status not when the motor went in. There is alot of bad information out there regarding drive clean, they even told me 1 thing then called me back within the hour to correct their mistake.

Last edited by augiedog77; 07-20-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as someone who struggled to get his 88 TBI to pass, I can tell you NOX is all in the cylinder temps and EGR operation. You need the EGR to be working near perfect with flow into the intake. Colder thermostat is only a problem if the fans turn on at the same temp, else your engine will be at normal operating temperature the fans turn on at.

The cats will only help to clean up CO and HC numbers, so if the cat is going, those readings will be high.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:16 AM
Launching!

I have a feeling my EGR might be acting up a little... Slight hesitation under accelleration, etc... I'll swap it out, and try the test again. See how things go.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dadic 78
I have a feeling my EGR might be acting up a little... Slight hesitation under accelleration, etc... I'll swap it out, and try the test again. See how things go.

I tried everything to get my 94 LT1 to pass NOX,nothing worked

I added fuel, cut timing tried a different cat,the problem is the limits are too low my Bonneville SSE 3.8L had higher allowable NOX

I just got a conditional.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

On the ls1 I think the EGR is a waste. The Vettes never had one with the exact same motor! The 2001 and 2002 never had them and made more power with lower emissions. It can be tuned to pass IMO.

We will see how mine does with its little cam, though it is eligible for the Hot Rod status.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

On the ls1 I think the EGR is a waste. The Vettes never had one with the exact same motor! The 2001 and 2002 never had them and made more power with lower emissions. It can be tuned to pass IMO.

We will see how mine does with its little cam, though it is eligible for the Hot Rod status.
He has a 94 with an LT1. The back pressure sensing EGR valves don't work with some headers because of where they have the EGR pipe located. You can put all the vacuum in the world to the valve but unless there is back pressure against the valve it will not open. I've been down this road when my car was bolts ons. Once the cam went in it didn't need the EGR to work because it created its own EGR function.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:19 AM
Launching!

New EGR should arrive today. I'll pop it in this weekend, and let you all know how it goes.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:34 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by augiedog77
that makes no sense, did you get that from drive clean itself or word or mouth? The chassis year is whats used to allow it qualify for hot rod status not when the motor went in. There is alot of bad information out there regarding drive clean, they even told me 1 thing then called me back within the hour to correct their mistake.
Sorry I just noticed this.

I got it from the Ministry's online documents.

(2) A hot rod that receives a motor replacement on or after January 1, 1999, shall receive a motor designed to meet emission standards at least as stringent as those achieved by the original motor with all its original emission control equipment attached and functioning, and the replacement motor shall have the original catalytic converter and all the original emission control equipment, or equivalent replacements, included or usually included with the replacement motor by the manufacturer of the motor. O. Reg. 361/98, s. 4 (2); O. Reg. 86/99, s. 3.

See the link:

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...s_980361_e.htm

Do you read it differently? I might be misunderstanding it.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry I just noticed this.

I got it from the Ministry's online documents.

(2) A hot rod that receives a motor replacement on or after January 1, 1999, shall receive a motor designed to meet emission standards at least as stringent as those achieved by the original motor with all its original emission control equipment attached and functioning, and the replacement motor shall have the original catalytic converter and all the original emission control equipment, or equivalent replacements, included or usually included with the replacement motor by the manufacturer of the motor. O. Reg. 361/98, s. 4 (2); O. Reg. 86/99, s. 3.

See the link:

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...s_980361_e.htm

Do you read it differently? I might be misunderstanding it.
I would read that as applying to something where you are registering the vehicle with the ministry, not applying to drive clean. Take receipts proving you bought a new block n the motor work done and any drive clean centre should be more then willing to test it as a hot rod. If they give you hassles, just go to another, theres plenty out there.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my 95 z ran as a hotrod. It was easy. I told them it was a 383 6.3L and they ran the test and it was a pass. I do have a 383 but they have no way to tell that.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:19 PM
Launching!

Did they ask you any questions to prove that it was a 383?
Old 07-28-2009, 10:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Would you not need some sort of proof (receipts) to prove 'hot rod' status?

It makes no sense to arbitrarily be able to claim your car is. Then again, this whole emissions test makes no sense either.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:20 PM
10 Second Club

My understanding is a stroker does not apply, it is the block. No 4 gens ever had an LS7, that is why I should be eligible.

A 383/385 is still an LS1 block, even some 4th's had LS6's so that will not count either. LS2/3/7 or some other non offered block.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:51 PM
TECH Addict

As I recall, if the engine was available for that year say 92, ie say someone did a 305 to 350 swap, it would NOT be eligible for hot rod status.

LS1 to LS6 doesn't change the cubes and it was offered in 02 albeit unofficially. No dice there either.

LS3, LS2, LS7 would be eligible in a LS1 based car provided for those years it was not offered.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:36 AM
10 Second Club

I talked to the MOE today and had it clarified that yes I would qualify for the Hot Rod status and that it is block specific, not displacement.

Now I got really brave and called the inspection unit and I am waiting on a call from the supervisor. He is supposed to be the best one to clarify what equipment needs to be installed under the hood. I only have one question though, do I need the EGR, since the motor I have installed never had one. I have every other part installed that the car came with and II think I can make the EGR fit int too, but my headers do not have the fittting nor does the Harrop. So it would be a lot of custom work.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Dale....Does this mean the car is done? lol.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by slammer454
Dale....Does this mean the car is done? lol.
Well, it is sorta of, kind of, nearly, ummm, no!

Very close now, I am putting in fluids, finished wiring, now I need to do some fiber glass work and 6 aluminum welds.

I will have Redline install the y pipe, drive shaft and an intial tune. Plus check to see if I have screwed up anything. Hopefully ship it out of the garage on Friday. More likely on Tuesday though. I have learned a lot, including not to take on a project like this again till I retire. If it all works out I will be very happy.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, it is sorta of, kind of, nearly, ummm, no!

Very close now, I am putting in fluids, finished wiring, now I need to do some fiber glass work and 6 aluminum welds.

I will have Redline install the y pipe, drive shaft and an intial tune. Plus check to see if I have screwed up anything. Hopefully ship it out of the garage on Friday. More likely on Tuesday though. I have learned a lot, including not to take on a project like this again till I retire. If it all works out I will be very happy.
I gotta get some chopped fiberglass and fill in some rust holes in my POS lol, good to know man, hopefully I'll see it in August.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Launching!

EGR is in, late, as I should've expected... I'll install this weekend, re-test, and let you all know how she goes. *fingers crossed*
Old 08-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Teching In

Just to let everyone know, I put a magnaflow cat on my 3rd gen and it passed. IIRC it actually did quite well, but it has to go again next year so I will see how well it does long term.

Quick Reply: "HOT" e-tests anwhere???q