Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

"HOT" e-tests anwhere???q

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "HOT" e-tests anwhere???q

So moving back from B.C. (where we don't do e-tests, needless to say, I didn't run a cat) to ONtario, and I can't pass my NOx portion of my e-test to save my life. I'm running a magnaflow Hi-Flow cat right now, and it's not cutting it... I called a Pontiac dealership to get a quote on an OEM cat, and it's just over $1000.00! Too rich for my blood... Does anyone here know a shop around the KW area that will pass a car in this situation?
Old 07-12-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just approach some shops, tell them your situation and give them some money. they usually take 150 bucks. if that does not work for you i can sell you my factory cats.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:15 AM

I would expect that even if someone knew a shop that did this they would be out of business pretty quick if their name was posted here.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bikesnbirds
I would expect that even if someone knew a shop that did this they would be out of business pretty quick if their name was posted here.
exactly
Old 07-13-2009, 07:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bikesnbirds
That's a given... That's what PM's are for.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dadic 78
That's a given... That's what PM's are for.
And you could respond that way if you knew the OP. Asking for a contact to do something illegal on a public forum is just plain crazy.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:53 PM
TECH Regular

FWIW...ALOT of the "hot" places have been busted and shut down...too many illegal civics running around...anyone that does do it still is layin pretty low.

You got a couple of options though if you can't find a place depending on whats done to your car.

If you dont have the stock engine in the car, you can be classified as a "hot rod." Apparently you need to be practically billowing black smoke out of the tails (litterally) in order to not pass as a hot rod.

Or you can spend I believe it is $400 in an "attempt" to make your car pass emissions, and they'll stay off your back for another 2 years as you will have a conditional pass for the time being...
Old 07-14-2009, 12:00 AM
Staging Lane

IIRC it's $350 for a conditional pass. NOx indicates high

I'd try 2L of methyl hydrate in the gas tank and retard the timing a little bit and you should pass.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:20 AM
Launching!

the only issue with the car is the cat. I'm running a magnaflow hi-flow, and it's just not cutting the mustard in the NOx dept.

Unfortunately, since it's an out-of-province car (just moved here from BC) there is no conditional "cap" on how much I have to spend to get the car approved... The $400 cap they put on is only for Ontario cars getting their licence stickers renewed.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

the guys that give out emission stikers to people that do not have something looking like a cat is crazy. if you have a cat that is gutted with a pipe threw it there is no way MTO will know if they pull you over, unless they have an emission testing device on board, which is highly unlikely.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

do you have a tune in the car or still running stock programming??
Old 07-16-2009, 07:33 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by elias_799
the guys that give out emission stikers to people that do not have something looking like a cat is crazy. if you have a cat that is gutted with a pipe threw it there is no way MTO will know if they pull you over, unless they have an emission testing device on board, which is highly unlikely.
They can smell it and will give you a summons to get your car tested at their facility. Of course you have to go there on your own time and dime and if you pass anyway they've just wasted hours of your time.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by elias_799
It is not that easy.

The MOE guys are now using Laser thermoters to measure cat temps. Real cats are hotter than the pipes around them.

I have looked into this really hard ad I am still not there yet. I have a 455ci LS7 but I have managed to make it idle smoothly at 850rpm. We had it at 800 and it was still smooth. It has been 2 years in the works and we will see if it will pass in a few weeks. Yes it will qualify for Hot Rod Status, but even that seems to be different now. You still have to meet the standards of the year it was built if the motor went in after 1999.

Good luck, I am going it the legal way.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Thyme_CA
They can smell it and will give you a summons to get your car tested at their facility. Of course you have to go there on your own time and dime and if you pass anyway they've just wasted hours of your time.
so worst case is you have to go home install a real cat, get your car tested and then go back home take it of and install your gutted cat. i am sure it will be allot cheaper then getting a ticket. and aftermarket cats are ****, i have seen lots of people fail with them.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I kid you not, a couple bottles of Gas Line Antifreeze in the tank should work, buddy dumped 3 bottles into his third gen with ZERO emissions equipment and passed, it'll run cleaner then a Honda for about 10 minutes or so.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by augiedog77
do you have a tune in the car or still running stock programming??
Still running the stock program. Got a low temp stat, but that's it, nothing crazy.

I've heard of the gasline antifreeze trick, but when I did my research, I found that the NOx levels will actually increase with hotter cylinder head temps. The gasline antifreeze will actually work against me in this situation, as it makes the car run hotter, and will increase the head temps.

I'm pretty sure the issue lies with the Magnaflow Cat. It's the only variable (from a bolt-on-car) that would cause the high NOx numbers.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Regular

crap...I'm about to buy one of those cats...
Old 07-16-2009, 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

^^ you need some allflow cats
Old 07-17-2009, 09:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

NOx may also be pushed down by reducing spark advance
at idle. If you have EGR in place, that should help but if
EGR is disabled with the EGR timing bump still there, that's
a double hit. Tricks that lean out (for CO/HC) can hurt
NOx. Cylinder imbalances can give you one bad hole
which is all it takes to fail.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dadic 78
Still running the stock program. Got a low temp stat, but that's it, nothing crazy.

I've heard of the gasline antifreeze trick, but when I did my research, I found that the NOx levels will actually increase with hotter cylinder head temps. The gasline antifreeze will actually work against me in this situation, as it makes the car run hotter, and will increase the head temps.

I'm pretty sure the issue lies with the Magnaflow Cat. It's the only variable (from a bolt-on-car) that would cause the high NOx numbers.
try tossing a stock thermostat back in it. with the lower temp one the computer might be dumping too much fuel thinking the car is cold n not at operating temp. It might also affect your egr operation too if if its super low, the computer again possibly mistakenly not turning it on correctly.

I tryed the methyl hydrate trick with my buick, it made the numbers worse. Installed the blower belt n the car passed flying colours.

Quick Reply: "HOT" e-tests anwhere???q