Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

Watch Out

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm pretty sure you could just make it look like you have the EGR attached to the manifold... without drilling a hole in the manifold.

I've never heard of this kind of stuff happening in Alberta...
Old 09-19-2009, 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by twistedmuscle
car
1977 Chevy Camaro - in ontario classic cars are not required for Emission testing,

Motor 350 - over 50 ect.
No Cats, No EGR, Improper Oil/Air Filter Carcoal Canister. @ $365 each
they took my plates, and now im left standing without my ride, and as of right now no other car until next month.
I'd pretty certain that 1977 cars didn't have EGR systems. You're clear of the Drive Clean requirements being older than 20 years, but they may be using some deep buried law subsection to nail people without smog controls......no cats would be easy to remedy, put in some hi-flows with a cutout. No EGR would be tough, and if it's the original engine (though I'm guessing it isn't), that would be easy to get tossed in court. If it didn't come with it back then, you shouldn't need it now. Improper oil/air filter? WTF is that? They could bust me for improper oil filter since I use the long K&N filter......

Welcome to the new Ontario police state folks.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by IRONFIST
I'm pretty sure you could just make it look like you have the EGR attached to the manifold... without drilling a hole in the manifold.

I've never heard of this kind of stuff happening in Alberta...
Well, we in Ontario are more enlightened to the plight of Mother Earth than you dirty Albertans with your oil sands and drilling.

Personally, I think Alberta kicks Ontario's ***. But, this is what happens when you vote an absolute power-hungry liar into office - TWICE!
Old 09-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LETZRIDE
Did they go through your tune files on the laptop?
What gives those ******** the right to go through whats on the laptop? The laptop is inside the car. Would they not need a search warrant since it is inside the vehicle?

They have their purpose to pull over cars and look for smog equipment, thats fine. I dont see any right to search whats inside the car and to go through someones personal laptop.

Last edited by magic; 09-19-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by twistedmuscle
car
1977 Chevy Camaro - in ontario classic cars are not required for Emission testing,

Motor 350 - over 50 ect.
No Cats, No EGR, Improper Oil/Air Filter Carcoal Canister. @ $365 each
they took my plates, and now im left standing without my ride, and as of right now no other car until next month.
Is the car at home?

To get your plates back or to get new ones you need to show some invoices/bills etc showing you have had the items fixed/installed on your car.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got the catch can placement worked out this afternoon. It (thankfully) required no drilling, and looks relatively clean. I took the liberty to also put in some before/after photos of the EGR

Old 09-19-2009, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BBYZED
I'd pretty certain that 1977 cars didn't have EGR systems. You're clear of the Drive Clean requirements being older than 20 years, but they may be using some deep buried law subsection to nail people without smog controls......no cats would be easy to remedy, put in some hi-flows with a cutout. No EGR would be tough, and if it's the original engine (though I'm guessing it isn't), that would be easy to get tossed in court. If it didn't come with it back then, you shouldn't need it now. Improper oil/air filter? WTF is that? They could bust me for improper oil filter since I use the long K&N filter......

Welcome to the new Ontario police state folks.
My '75 had an EGR. It was after 2000 before GM was able to eliminate the EGR on their trucks.

This is how the law is written:

EMISSION CONTROL EQUIPMENT FOR KIT CARS, REBUILT CARS AND HOT RODS
4. (1) A kit car or a rebuilt car that receives its first permit under the Highway Traffic Act on or after January 1, 1999, shall include, as part of a system to prevent or lessen the emission of contaminants, all of the original pollution control systems and components, or equivalent replacements, included or usually included with the motor of the rebuilt car or kit car by the manufacturer of the motor. O. Reg. 361/98, s. 4 (1); O. Reg. 86/99, s. 3.
(2) A hot rod that receives a motor replacement on or after January 1, 1999, shall receive a motor designed to meet emission standards at least as stringent as those achieved by the original motor with all its original emission control equipment attached and functioning, and the replacement motor shall have the original catalytic converter and all the original emission control equipment, or equivalent replacements, included or usually included with the replacement motor by the manufacturer of the motor. O. Reg. 361/98, s. 4 (2); O. Reg. 86/99, s. 3.

If it was built with it, it has to have it whether the car is exempt from e-testing or not UNLESS you can prove the engine is a newer engine and did not come with the emission equipment in question. Which means a 6.2 from a truck with all it's emission equipment intact (sans EGR) would be a perfectly legal swap in my '77 Vega. Also consider that there are a lot of head and cam swaps out there that still pass an e-test with the rest of the emissions equipment still present.

Ken

Last edited by Kenova; 09-19-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

I checked with my sister (traffic cop in TO) on this and it comes down to if your car came with emissions equipment from the factory, then it should have all of it there. The thing is, unless there is a sticker there saying it, they can't determine what equipment is supposed to be there and its not like they keep a book on them with such info. To get around this the officer is allowed to basically have a "belief" that the car is unfit for the road and can pull your plates on the spot regardless of whether it should or should not have x emissions device.

So to summarize. If you have no sticker for emissions, that is a ticket and a fine. If you have a sticker and it is missing x component, then for each x component missing for emissions it is a fine. Finally at the officers discretion, if it is unfit for the road, the plates can simply be pulled and the onus comes down to the driver to prove that they have the necessary equipment to the prosecutor in order to have the charges withdrawn.

It will make no difference if your car can pass or not or if it has a newer engine without components or Your only saving grace on the spot with a cop is to not get on their bad side and convince them you are complying with the law.

Anything else you want cleared up with what a cop can do? She does this **** on a regular basis...
Old 09-20-2009, 07:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Very Helpful! Thanks Rovic!

Originally Posted by SladeX
I checked with my sister (traffic cop in TO) on this and it comes down to if your car came with emissions equipment from the factory, then it should have all of it there. The thing is, unless there is a sticker there saying it, they can't determine what equipment is supposed to be there and its not like they keep a book on them with such info. To get around this the officer is allowed to basically have a "belief" that the car is unfit for the road and can pull your plates on the spot regardless of whether it should or should not have x emissions device.

So to summarize. If you have no sticker for emissions, that is a ticket and a fine. If you have a sticker and it is missing x component, then for each x component missing for emissions it is a fine. Finally at the officers discretion, if it is unfit for the road, the plates can simply be pulled and the onus comes down to the driver to prove that they have the necessary equipment to the prosecutor in order to have the charges withdrawn.

It will make no difference if your car can pass or not or if it has a newer engine without components or Your only saving grace on the spot with a cop is to not get on their bad side and convince them you are complying with the law.

Anything else you want cleared up with what a cop can do? She does this **** on a regular basis...
Old 09-23-2009, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Where can you get a sticker from a later LS1 without EGR? Might be worth it for us to swap those on...
Old 09-23-2009, 02:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by IRONFIST
Where can you get a sticker from a later LS1 without EGR? Might be worth it for us to swap those on...
I thought of this, but I'm not sure if they have my vehicle on record now.

If they do, then they'll see I got an EGR ticket last time, then compare it to the sticker saying the vehicle doesn't require it.

Not sure that would go down too well...?
Old 09-23-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

swap the sticker...fight the ticket...snap a picture of the sticker on the car...go to court and be like...there is no egr because I never required one...tell them to come out and look at the sticker on the car if they want...could work?
cops make mistakes to...
Old 09-23-2009, 11:35 PM
TECH Addict

model year is posted on the sticker for the emissions, and referenced to your ownership and insurance, you'd find yourself in even more trouble if caught.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In that case, don't touch that sticker...I guess your pretty much left with if you really need the emissions stuff off, just keep it turned off with hp tuners, but still in place. I don't believe they have a way to test if your egr is actually operational or not, or atleast I don't believe they would be able to tell that you turned it off through tunning....unless they go through the laptop...
Old 09-27-2009, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

someone needs to make a custom sticker !
Old 10-02-2009, 08:58 AM
TECH Regular

northern ontario is great, no emissions testing up here.

Quick Reply: Watch Out