Good LT1 mechanic in Edmonton or Alberta? - LS1TECH

Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

Good LT1 mechanic in Edmonton or Alberta?

Old 07-01-2016, 09:23 PM   #1
Staging Lane

Default Good LT1 mechanic in Edmonton or Alberta?

I have a 1996 Z28 that needs some work done to it.
For some reason I am apprehensive bringing it to a dealer. It isn't a money issue more of an issue of someone working on it who doesn't know the engine and it's quirks.

Does anyone know of a reputable shop in Edmonton (or Alberta - can travel) that does work on LT1's? It isn't for performance - just routine maintenance that I don't want to tackle myself such as the intake leak and new plug wires.

I contacted one dealer that said they had 2 senior techs that work on LT1's but it doesn't mean they will be the ones doing the work.

Thanks!
deebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:36 PM   #2
TECH Fanatic

Maybe talk with the service manager. The LT1 has been used in a lot of application other then the F body/corvette so any of their senior guys should be more then qualified.
Otherwise if its not a DD then get your hands dirty.
Orange Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:13 AM   #3
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

You could try Western Corvette in Calgary, they have done a lot with those motor's.
ctd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:05 PM   #4
Launching!

Wish I was there. Easy engine to work on. Lots of videos online to watch so you can do the work yourself if you have some tools.
Stormed_Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:11 PM   #5
TECH Enthusiast

You're right about the stealerships,generally nobody has a clue about the older stuff with a few exceptions.Look up Horsepower Solutions, if they can't help you they will know someone that can.
tfi racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:23 PM   #6
Staging Lane

Guys, thanks for all the information.

I don't have a problem turning wrenches. I have all the tools necessary but I live in a condo with underground parking and because of the bylaws here we are not allowed to do mechanical work on cars.

As a result, I am forced to get most work done in a shop. Fortunately the car has low KM on it so it doesn't need much but it needs some work as it sat for years before I bought it. So there are minor annoyances that need to be addressed. (slightly rough idle, intake manifold leak, all fluids swapped).

I can do this all myself if I had a garage. Condo is nice but in sometimes it sucks and this is one of those instances.

I think I will poke around at the suggestions given, if there are any more feel free to post. I just have a feeling with the work I need done I will be paying $120+/hr for a $15/hr kid to fix my car who has never seen an LT1 before. That worries me. I don't want my car being "learned" on at my expense. Maybe reassurance from a service manager would help, but my experience is that they are just bull**it artists.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:31 AM   #7
TECH Enthusiast

Also check out performance-shop.com,not as active as it once was but lots of Edmonton guys that know who is who in Alberta.
tfi racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:50 PM   #8
TECH Fanatic

Yeah that sucks not even having a spot to work on the car. Just finished pulling off the intake manifold on mine for the first time. It was a great education and now I'm not intimidated by tackling more work on the top end.
Orange Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:08 AM   #9
Teching In

I recommend looking at two prime sources to find a decent mechanic for your vehicle. 1) local hot rod or area car clubs specializing in General Motors engines - go to a few local meets and speak with the guys displaying their vehicles - a wealth of info plus you can check out some awesome machines 2) contact the local CAA office for their recommended service shops in the area. Don't take it to a Canadian tire store or to a franchised stealership.
Cheers!
Knightrider5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:59 PM   #10
Staging Lane

Some good responses and advice here, thanks!
Knightrider5000, that is a good suggestion. I have been to a few car shows this year and there are no F-Bodies anymore, lol.
I remember when you could go to a show and they were dime a dozen now they are scarce. But I will look into local meets. Gives me an excuse to hit up some more car shows.