Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

What's Up With F-body Prices?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 10:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kars10_4
I would sell it but I'd been dreaming about it for 3 years before so making a little money a consideration. It's also a the only LS1 Camaro around here, not to mention SS. There was a WS6 around but the guy sold it last summer. I've also got other offers in the 18-19 range. General consensus is that if I put a $18000 price tag on it, it would be sold in a week. Rich fishermen that work on a cash basis hahaha.

Do it and buy another one.

Pocket 7K.

Repeat cycle.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:29 AM
12 Second Club

I purchased my vehicle in Texas, and have helped several ppl do the same since then.

USA > Canada
Old 08-04-2006, 11:02 AM
tech memeber

I bought the car to own it, not to sell it. As nice as it would be to pocket the money and repeat there is one problem, I would be without an F-Body again. That's what I wanted for 3 years and just because I found a good deal on one doesn't mean I'm interested in the profit I could make. It's the same as finding a good deal on anything, you're not just gonna turn around and sell it, even though the profit margin is rather large for a car. Was just trying to show the value difference across the border. If the dollar stays similar to what it is now I don't see any reason to buy a car in Canada.

Originally Posted by jinxedz
I purchased my vehicle in Texas, and have helped several ppl do the same since then.

USA > Canada
Damn Texas? How did you get it up here?
Old 08-06-2006, 02:24 AM
Staging Lane

I really recommend buying a car from the states. I just did it a couple months ago to get my 2000 SS, 82k miles for $11000 US - converted to something like 12136 Canadian. Had to pay 7% GST at the border and a $309 fee (100 for AC tax and 209 for Canadian certification at Canadian Tire). Also had to pay sales tax when I registered it. If you can deal with the formalities, like having to have the title at the border 72 hours before crossing and waiting 10 days for the RIV to send the Canadian certification, then it is well worth it. I've already been offered $20000 for my car but would never sell it.

hey kars10_4.. can u explain to me what that 72hrs notice actually means? like do i have to phone up the border crossin that i will be using 3 days in advance and tell them i will be bringing a car that i bought in usa into canada?

i am also interested in buying a 99collectors eddition trans am in usa,and i will not be giving that rare piece of beauty for a few extra bucks, only 100 in canada..

but if u or anyone else can give me some pointers or details on what i exactly have to do, that would be great thanks
Old 08-07-2006, 02:00 PM
tech memeber

US customs needs to have to title (the original plus two copies) 72 hours before the car can be imported into Canada. This can be a big hastle because not many people, me included, are going to buy a car without inspecting it in person. And not many car dealers or owners are going to release the title without full payment. This 72 thing turned out to be the most frustrating part of buying a car from the states. You can call the Registar of Imported Vehicles (1-800-511-7755) if you need some more information or you can ask me if you wanted info from someone who went through it.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:12 AM
Staging Lane

US customs needs to have to title (the original plus two copies) 72 hours before the car can be imported into Canada. This can be a big hastle because not many people, me included, are going to buy a car without inspecting it in person. And not many car dealers or owners are going to release the title without full payment. This 72 thing turned out to be the most frustrating part of buying a car from the states. You can call the Registar of Imported Vehicles (1-800-511-7755) if you need some more information or you can ask me if you wanted info from someone who went through it.
oh thank you, i think u explained it clearly to me.. but if i do have any more questions, i can just ask ya lol..

if i do go buy a car from the states its gonna be paid up front, so i can get the title in my hands.. and then drop by the border crossin and hand them the orginal and make 2 photo copies and give those aswell.. and to keep me busy jus get a room and chill for 3 days close to a border city.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:40 PM
tech memeber

Yeah that'd be ideal for you if you could just get a hotel room. I decided it was cheaper to store it (was like $50 for 3 nights), go home and come back with the 60mpg wonder that is the 90hp Golf Diesel . Plus there was also the inconvience known as work. Another problem you may face is how to actually drive it home. I bought insurance for the car a few days before I even bought it. You'll also have to check if the state your buying it in has temporary permits because for some reason Mass. doesn't and after contacting many people including athority figures, we decided the only thing we could do was slap the plate on it from another vehicle and pray not to get pulled over .
Old 08-08-2006, 05:18 PM
Teching In

Hey everyone, newbie here.. I just bought my 2002 Z28 with all the goodies leather t-top etc, for really good price. I don't know why this guy is having problems. Just wanted to give my 2 cents
Old 08-11-2006, 12:14 PM
Teching In

Are you really sure you need the orginal title 72 hrs before crossing? Has anyone else tried simply photocopying the title and faxing it to the US border?
Old 08-11-2006, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

I just thought I'd sahre this information again :

This will answer all your question - and leave with a dumb look on your face wondering the same question of "Why?"

In American funds - the Base, Corvette Coupe is going for $44 995
In Canadian funds - the Base, Corvette Coupe is going for $67 805

Let's do the currency conversion on todays rate... ( Check for yourself folks, if you don't believe me )

$44 995 American = $50,509.16 Canadian

That leaves us paying $17 295.84 MORE for the same car.

The official reason for this price increase? There is none. You will get corporate jargon, if ANYTHING. The only reason we pay more? Is because we PAY more. Should something be done about this? Of course it should. Will something be done about this? Of course not.

The expert on this subject recomended that Canadian buyers do infact buy new from the states, or used - because even after all the work you go through - you will most likely save a few thousand.

Fellow Canadians. We are being robbed
Old 08-11-2006, 12:47 PM
FormerVendor

I've sold a car to the states, pretty easy, no wait. Proper documents I had to attain from GM to get it over the border... Not sure if its the same coming north bound
Old 08-11-2006, 12:58 PM
tech memeber

Originally Posted by 96transamconvt
Are you really sure you need the orginal title 72 hrs before crossing? Has anyone else tried simply photocopying the title and faxing it to the US border?
Yup you do. They have to have the original copy in hand plus 2 photocopied versions (the photocopied version say viod or copy, i forget which, on them when they come out). And it has to be 72 hours before, I tried a bunch of ways around it. Not sure why they need 72 hours because I'm pretty sure the customs officer didn't run my title through until I was there. You could get the dealership to mail the title and 2 copies if you wired them the money but that takes a whole lot of trust considering if they screw you over and you don't have much proof our court system doesn't really have much jurisdiction on the other side of the border.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:15 PM
tech memeber

Originally Posted by Ghostintheshell
I just thought I'd sahre this information again :

This will answer all your question - and leave with a dumb look on your face wondering the same question of "Why?"

In American funds - the Base, Corvette Coupe is going for $44 995
In Canadian funds - the Base, Corvette Coupe is going for $67 805

Let's do the currency conversion on todays rate... ( Check for yourself folks, if you don't believe me )

$44 995 American = $50,509.16 Canadian

That leaves us paying $17 295.84 MORE for the same car.

The official reason for this price increase? There is none. You will get corporate jargon, if ANYTHING. The only reason we pay more? Is because we PAY more. Should something be done about this? Of course it should. Will something be done about this? Of course not.

The expert on this subject recomended that Canadian buyers do infact buy new from the states, or used - because even after all the work you go through - you will most likely save a few thousand.

Fellow Canadians. We are being robbed
The Canada to US price difference is still based on the dollar from a few years ago. Just because we gained so much ground on the US dollar since then doesn't mean we have to lower all of our prices to suit them. The vehicle market within Canada is not affected very much by the changed in the dollar. The fact that US vehicles are comparatively cheaper now just gives us another opportunity. We're not getting screwed over, it's quite the opposite, our country is much stronger now than it was a few years ago and we can take advantage of that by, among other things, importing vehicles.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:02 AM
Teching In

would this still all be the same if the car was to be trailered over rather then driven accross the border? No plates no nothing. would that cut alot of the hassle at the border?
Old 08-17-2006, 09:21 AM
12 Second Club

I bought the car to own it, not to sell it. As nice as it would be to pocket the money and repeat there is one problem, I would be without an F-Body again. That's what I wanted for 3 years and just because I found a good deal on one doesn't mean I'm interested in the profit I could make. It's the same as finding a good deal on anything, you're not just gonna turn around and sell it, even though the profit margin is rather large for a car. Was just trying to show the value difference across the border. If the dollar stays similar to what it is now I don't see any reason to buy a car in Canada.
Yeah Sure, man.

Dont rationalize/explain anything to anybody.

If you wanted to sell it, you can make some cash. If you dont want to sell it, thats cool.

Damn Texas? How did you get it up here?

Shipped it from Dallas to Buffalo, and then trailored it over the border.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:22 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bigpetez28
would this still all be the same if the car was to be trailered over rather then driven accross the border? No plates no nothing. would that cut alot of the hassle at the border?

MTO
Customs
Insurance

... are all involved in a Huge circle jerk.

I found it was much easier to trailor her over.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:48 AM
tech memeber

Originally Posted by jinxedz
Shipped it from Dallas to Buffalo, and then trailored it over the border.
Wow, musta been some deal. Shipping a car from Dallas to Buffalo has got to cost a ton.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:04 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought my '01 SS convertible for 28k 20 months ago. It has 50,000 km on it now. According to ads like this one. at the top. I have been earing value ever since I bought mine. I don't get these guys, are they insane? This one seems more reasonable and has very few miles on it. Seems to be an American car.

There was a Trans Am asking for 50k+ for quite a while as well, I hope no one actually paid that. This WS-6 convertible has been for sale all summer at $35.5k.

I find these prices really high overall myself.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:06 AM
Teching In

Is it just me, or do we Ontarians (don't know about the rest of the country) have to pay a rediculous amount of money to insure F-bodies. While I don't own any of the cars mentioned in this post, I was cross shopping a '00+ WS6 and an 04/05 STi. It turns out that the T/A costs about $1K more to insure, is this right? I heard that our neighbours to the south actually pay less to insure their F-bodies.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

It must be your insurance company. jlagman. I pay less than $100 per month on my SS, my agent said they are relatively cheap to insure compared to imports due to less theft.

Quick Reply: What's Up With F-body Prices?