Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Comprehensive EFI to Carb list?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 01:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comprehensive EFI to Carb list?

I've just purchased an LS6 long block from Scoogin Dickies. Great place by the way. Anyway, I'm putting this into my road racing Trans Am. I'm going to have to upgrade the entire EFI sytem as it is, so this going "Carb's" route is starting to sound pretty good.

I've got an idea of parts I need as far as MSD 6010 unit and an Edelbrock Vic JR intake and obviously a carb. But what else is there? I really couldn't find a list of what your going to need to get an engine up and running. How did you guys hook up the stock hard fuel lines to the carb and did you have to use a fuel pressure regulator? Also it would be interesting to hear what you guys didn't use as far as sensors. Like the knock sensors, what did you do with them?

The motor will be going into a 2000 Trans Am WS6. Thanks ahead of time guys.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:35 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, you will have some cowl issues, nothing that cannot be solved, but take that into account first. Otherwise, a bypass regulator can be used and you will have to hot wire the fuel pump to come on with the ignition and stay on. Other than that, just make the primary fuel line run into the carb however you wish.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cam and cranks sensors you will need
Old 10-10-2010, 08:39 AM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LS_10
cam and cranks sensors you will need
yes, theese are the only sensors you need, they will plug right into the MSD's wiring harness. I just left everything else disconnected. you can wire up sensors for gauges if you wish. I used autometer mech gauges.
hook up your starter wires, and alternator as normal, and your done.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:20 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I pulled the stock fuel pump out of the tank and rigged it up so the line was just off the bottom of the tank. I ran a new line from the top of the tank to a Holley Black fuel pump then into the stock lines. For the regulator I went with a Holley unit and then ran it to the carb.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Teching In

Hey guys, it's been a long time since I have been on this site. I am building a car with an LSx with a carb set up and would like to ask a question that Kmspruill242 could benefit from also... what are you guys doing about the alternator? It has a push in plug from the old EFI wiring harness. Do I need to buy a different alternator that has the old school 1 wire hook up? Also, will it bolt up to the F-body bracket?

Thanks... Don't mean to hyjack your thread.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

No worries 67ls1vert. Does that plug go back to the ECU or does it just catch a ride in the same wiring harness cover with everything else?

Did some shopping around last night.. Ran across an MSD wiring harness #60101. Is this an extra wiring harness or a must have piece? I figured the MSD unit would come with what you needed. Either way it looks like it's still cheaper to go carb'd than EFI if you're starting from scratch like I am.

Any of you guys running dual AFR meters or will one provide enough info? I was thinking of running two, one in each O2 bung in the y-pipe. But if you guys think one is enough I can weld a bung in the merge section.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:21 PM
Teching In

You will need the MSD box # 6010...

The MSD 6010 for LS1/LS6 ignition controllers allow you to install a carburetor on your LS-based engine. These compact ignition controllers fit with matching factory-type connectors for the coils, crank sensor, MAP sensor, and the cam sensor. The controllers also feature a 2-step rev limiter, a vacuum advance curve for cruising economy, and even a step retard for nitrous use.

Carb set up is way cheaper I think. No expensive tuning. Don't have to buy an aftermarket wiring harness or modify your old one.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:27 PM
Teching In

Oh yeah, it's up to you but edelbrock makes a valley cover (EDL 7788) from summit, with-out the knock sensor holes. Or you can just use the original.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Don't use the pills they provide for tuning. The 6010 box comes with a CD for your lap top so you can tune your engine the way you want.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a vette 145 amp alternator on mine with a 1 wire excite plug.

Ya don't use the pills!
Old 10-10-2010, 08:35 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kmspruill242
Did some shopping around last night.. Ran across an MSD wiring harness #60101. Is this an extra wiring harness or a must have piece? I figured the MSD unit would come with what you needed.
MSD box comes with its own harness
Old 10-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS_10
I have a vette 145 amp alternator on mine with a 1!
So the wire that on my stock camaro wiring harness will hook right up to the alt just like they did with the first gen small blocks?

What bracket do I need? I would like to install it down low like on the f body.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:32 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys, great help. Has anyone thought of putting a together a complete parts list of whats needed to go carb'd if you're starting from scratch?

67ls1vert keep the questions coming, they're helping me out as well.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kmspruill242
Thanks guys, great help. Has anyone thought of putting a together a complete parts list of whats needed to go carb'd if you're starting from scratch?

67ls1vert keep the questions coming, they're helping me out as well.
maybe between the two of us asking question we'll find out what we need.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Really once you get the ignition controller setting up a carb'd LS motor is just the same as a first gen. Can't run a mechanical fuel pump but everything else is the same. Asking for a "complete list" doesn't make much sense since every set up is different.

Probably already been answered but you can run any alternator you can bolt up. Alternators do NOT require the ECM to run, so get whatever. I have a denso alt cause it is smaller.

Knock sensors you just leave disconnected. They bolt onto the outside of the LS2&3 blocks so they are easy enough to unbolt. for LS1's you can leave them alone or replace the valley cover to delete.

To the OP: Why and LS6 block and not an LS2-3? At the time the LS6 blocks were the hot ticket, but everything that was good about the LS6 got rolled into the LS2 and then further improved with the LS3. Why not get all that and the bigger bore?
Old 10-11-2010, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

I'm dealing with a class that has a very strict power to weight ratio. 9 to 1 for horsepower 9.5 to 1 for torque. I wanted all the internal upgrades of the LS6 like better PCV system, valve train better suited for high rpm, etc. I know I could have gotten that with an LS2/3 but with the bigger bore it would have been tough to keep the horsepower within reason. I know, I know crazy thinking right?! Ha That and the LS6 was on special at Scoogin Dickie. So here I am.

Another big thing with me going carb'd is I can put in a restrictor plate to bring horsepower down if I need to. The less power the less the car has to weigh, saving brakes and tires. Which I run through pretty quick road racing this car.

I'm running the ractronix/walboro pump system in my car. Works great and I'd like to keep it. I understand I'm going to need a bypass regulator to bring the fuel PSI down to around 8 to 10 psi. I'm just throwing those numbers out there not sure if their right. What company do you guys like?

And after reading this entire section I haven't seen a single post about what to do with the throttle cable. I'm assuming the reason for that is it's such an easy fix I'll smack myself in the forehead as soon as I see it. Well, hoping at least.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:39 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a throttle cable out of a third gen camaro that had a TBI motor in it. It's about 24" long. I am also using a AED throttle bracket setup
Old 10-12-2010, 11:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Probably already been answered but you can run any alternator you can bolt up. Alternators do NOT require the ECM to run, so get whatever. I have a denso alt cause it is smaller.
So, if you are running a denso alt... I guess you made a bracket? Are you using power steering? I would like to see what it looks like.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

Alright looking around for a return style fuel pressure regulator. Having been born in 1986 I've not had the pleasure of growing up with carb'd vehicles. I know, the 70's where awesome and I really missed out.

Not really knowing much about them what pressure range should I be looking for? I've found some that are 15-35 psi but it seems hard to fine a FPR for a carb that's also return style. Most are for EFI cars and the pressure is too high.