Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

cam,intake and carb ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011 | 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Default cam,intake and carb ideas?

6.0 ls2 going in a 3200 lb with driver (approx) 67 camaro,richmond 5 speed and 3.73's with a 26 or 28 inch tall slick,stock 243 heads. will be street driven,and no, i dont fear duration or overlap.

thoughts?
Old 03-15-2011 | 09:59 PM
In-Zane Moderator
10 Year Member

Well, my car witht he same weight and 6.0 with heads that flow the same with a larger chamber runs 7.1, so i think you could get a 6.9 or better with the Trex cam in that setup, but the gear might hold you back, i have 4.30s.
Old 03-15-2011 | 10:23 PM
On The Tree

the richmond has 3.28 2.13 1.57 1.24 1.00 ratios...i dont think the 3.73's are hurting much lol
Old 03-18-2011 | 12:42 PM
9 Second Club

I do not care for the Richmond 5-spd and I would say if you haven't already purchased it, DO NOT buy it!!! If you have and it works okay for you, congratulations, you have one of the few that works correctly. Of all the transmissions I have owned the Richmond 5-spd has been my least favorite and also happened to be the most expensive. If you want to get a 5-spd and the gear ratios on the Richmond are what sells it for you, spend the coin and get a GF-5R from GForce. There is an issue with the design of the Richmond shift cams on the inside of the case. They do not operate smoothly and therefore you cannot shift quickly. It simply will not allow you to slam the lever in to gear like I have been able to do on numerous 4-spds and T56 transmissions. The problem with that when you have a bunch of HP is that instant that you cannot shift quickly into the next gear, you unload the suspension. Once you get it into gear and the engine is wound up, you get a big shock load that will either begin to break driveline parts or will cause the car to jump and potentially break traction (which could cause a loss of control).

I was very unhappy with mine for what it costs and then the cost of the shifter on top of that. I even bought and installed "blue-printed" synchro assemblies which were supposed help correct the problem. They also had a lighter detent spring behind the sliders too. It didn't correct the issue as S-K Speed warned me it may not. Check with S-K in NY (631) 957-9525 as they are familiar with the problem (where I bought the synchros). They actually used to perform a modification to the case in order to correct the problem. I never did it because they were so busy at the time that I didn't want to wait 4-6 weeks to get the half of my transmission case back.

Sorry to be off topic, just trying to help out.

Carb = call Pro Systems and let Patrick sell you whatever he thinks will work
Intake = Edelbrock Super victor
Cam = 239/247-110+2 use whatever lobes you like in that range and make sure you have the valve springs to accomodate the lift
Tires = 28-29"

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
but the gear might hold you back, i have 4.30s.
(3.73)(1.24) = 4.62

...I went through the lights in 4th when I had a Richmond 5-spd and if he does the same, I think he is good.

Last edited by melsie68; 03-18-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-18-2011 | 01:26 PM
In-Zane Moderator
10 Year Member

I nwas thinking of the first gear for the launch, i forgot he has the donkey kong low first gear un like my T56.
Old 03-18-2011 | 01:43 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
I nwas thinking of the first gear for the launch, i forgot he has the donkey kong low first gear un like my T56.
yeah man that is damn straight!
Old 03-18-2011 | 02:06 PM
In-Zane Moderator
10 Year Member

That isnt anything on the new 5.0 mustang trans though, they have ultra low 1st gears.
Old 03-18-2011 | 09:52 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

trans was done by brian at sk speed already its the deal man...i had it behind an iron headed 357 that dipped into the 11's...i actually got accused of having an automatic in it more than once. long pistol grip vertigate and brians tricks=killer setup. ive never shifted anything better. infact my friend tony went from one of brians tuned up richmonds to a g-force and he isnt happy about it.

the super victor? really? i was thinking the regular vic jr. cam sounds about the range i was thinking as well.
Old 03-20-2011 | 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

I am doing a carbed lq4 set up with a nice shot of nitrous. I picked up mast carbed intake manifold and I love it cam I'd call thunder racing home of the t-Rex they are awesome at custom grinds, but you said your using the stock 243's ? If that's the case you will have to go with the victor junior unless u go with L92 heads like I did with the mast intake manifold awesome combo and carb I mean can't go wrong with a demon
Old 03-21-2011 | 11:02 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by bad67ls
trans was done by brian at sk speed already its the deal man...i had it behind an iron headed 357 that dipped into the 11's...i actually got accused of having an automatic in it more than once. long pistol grip vertigate and brians tricks=killer setup. ive never shifted anything better. infact my friend tony went from one of brians tuned up richmonds to a g-force and he isnt happy about it.

the super victor? really? i was thinking the regular vic jr. cam sounds about the range i was thinking as well.
Sounds like you have the transmission fixed up just right. You know, after I wrote that post, I saw your picture with the V-gate shifter and thought to myself "he must have corrected something"...lol! I know the one I had was junk or just in serious need of the upgrade. I guess I felt like I already spent enough on it and didn't want to take a chance spending any more bread. Glad yours is straight- I will keep that in mind for future reference.

Absolutely go with the Super Victor. Out of the box, they are worth a few hp and I am sure even more when ported. The Performance Inductions (Mast) manifold is very nice if you have the money to spend on it. Check out this discussion on YB:

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=344687

I had run the Super Vic on a 404cid and feel like it is a very nice manifold. It more resembles the big brother Nascar style manifolds you might see on a Yates or SB2.2. The plenum is rather small on it, but it would suit your 6.0L perfectly and give you some room to grow.
Old 03-21-2011 | 05:42 PM
On The Tree

yeah out of the box, the 4+1 is garbage. i put mine in and took it out 2 days later and dropped it off with brian...he is the master of these things. little piece of little known knowlege...he had a hand in designing the new richmond overdrive 5 speed...

the super victor is close to twice the price of the standard issue vic, and after this season i am probably going to put the fuel injection setup on it (i have everything but the fuel pump,time and tune to do it...)

is it really worth that much more power?
Old 03-23-2011 | 08:17 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by bad67ls
yeah out of the box, the 4+1 is garbage. i put mine in and took it out 2 days later and dropped it off with brian...he is the master of these things. little piece of little known knowlege...he had a hand in designing the new richmond overdrive 5 speed...

the super victor is close to twice the price of the standard issue vic, and after this season i am probably going to put the fuel injection setup on it (i have everything but the fuel pump,time and tune to do it...)

is it really worth that much more power?
http://paceperformance.com/i-6063606...ock-28095.html

The Super Victor is $368.80 at Pace Performance. The Edelbrock #28095 has the injector bungs drilled and tapped for when you change to EFI later (versus the #28097 which doesn't). I am sure you can just get a boss/o-ring fitting to plug them while using the carb. I don't think that price is too much more than the Vic Jr. and yes I would say it is absolutely worth it. People have been known to pay far more money for less of an improvement in HP.

Thanks for the info on the newer Richmond 5-speed OD. I have to consider all options for the future...I miss having that straight gear.
Old 03-23-2011 | 08:45 AM
Teching In

if your on a paper thin budget vic jr. if you have some extra cash to throw down on the super victor.....do it! it flows better than a ported vic jr. the vic jr + professional port job will cost you over $500 bucks and still not have the flow of the super victor.
Old 03-23-2011 | 09:45 AM
TECH Junkie

have you considered the GMPP single plane? A guy in this thread said his ported GMPP outperformed a Super Vic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/carburete...dral-port.html

Obviously ported GM vs stock super vic, but so far the closest thing I have seen to a direct comparison so far.
Old 03-23-2011 | 10:11 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
have you considered the GMPP single plane? A guy in this thread said his ported GMPP outperformed a Super Vic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/carburete...dral-port.html

Obviously ported GM vs stock super vic, but so far the closest thing I have seen to a direct comparison so far.
Yeah but how much are you going to pay for that port work? And for only 4hp at peak? I am willing to bet the Super Vic has better average power due to the longer runners too. Outside of all the internet discussion, I recommed calling Wegner Motorsports and talking to them about which manifold they might run.
Old 03-24-2011 | 12:33 AM
On The Tree

ah debate. nice!
Old 03-24-2011 | 06:23 AM
TECH Junkie

No debate here, I was just sharing information.

I would love to see a head to head comparison of the two manifolds and the link I posted is a close as I have found.

Quick Reply: cam,intake and carb ideas?