Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

LQ4 meets FAST EZ EFI

Old 05-04-2011, 11:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The EZ EFI instructions( pg 2, 2nd bullet) mention mounting the ecu away from noisy electronics to prevent interference, but wouldn't that include the battery as well?

It's a nice clean install, but IMHO i wouldn't take the chances with that nice, fancy, and not to mention expensive piece of equipment so close to the battery.

other than that, keep it up! i'd love to have a kit of my own to put on my carbed 350HO.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think the batt is as noisy as the msd box or the fire wall passthrew harness are. That was my only two options. I wish i could have put it in side but could not bring my self to put a hole that large in my fire wall. It would have been a 2 inch wide hole. If i get interferance i will just move it to other side. I did not have my t/b installed so was kinda guessing on the wire length. Also this way the batt cabels are only about a foot long. I see that as a bonus also.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

Do you think a 5/16 return line will be ok. The supply is -6 which is about 3/8? I have a factory return line that is 5/16 and that is it. Dont have any way to add -6 return to tank.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

Should i keep my 1 inch 4 hole crab spacer on or take it off for the EFI? Going to install efi in the morning.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Well as it turns out the throttle holes in the throttle body are bigger then the holes in the spacer so i had to take it off. Other then that it went in perfict and started with a bump of the key. I was amazed at how well it ran right off the first start. Performs just as good or better then the carb did. No hesitation when you blip the throttle. It has better response then some new efi cars that i have driven. I love it. Even smells like it runns cleaner. Befor it would burn eyes sitting still. Now there is only faint smell. Wish i had done this sooner.
Attached Thumbnails LQ4 meets FAST EZ EFI-fastinstalled.jpg   LQ4 meets FAST EZ EFI-fastinstalled1.jpg   LQ4 meets FAST EZ EFI-fastfast.jpg   LQ4 meets FAST EZ EFI-fastreg.jpg  
Old 05-15-2011, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let us know about the MPG?
Old 05-15-2011, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

Will do. I will wait to see what it does threw this tank. I expect it will do better after it learns. But it already smells cleaner so it must be useing less. Will keep yall posted.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 05-15-2011, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

^what he said

interested to hear your impressions of the whole kit/install/tune, not sure what ill do intake wise but i like where this is going.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Irish350
^what he said

interested to hear your impressions of the whole kit/install/tune, not sure what ill do intake wise but i like where this is going.
The hole kit is top of the line to me. The install took under 4 hours in my appartment parking lot. Only have to hook up batt +, - , key igniton so efi knows you want to run and a RPM sourse. Other then that if you bought the master kit just plug fuel pump control into main harness and connect it to the supplyed pump. The just tell it what it is on and what size motor is and calibrate the tps. Takes just a few mins to get running after the hard parts are installed. It uses all GM sensors so if one fails you can get it at any store. The tune is inpressive. I drove it again today and found a spot it was not ready for and held it at that point and is smoothed it out. The next time i tryed to make it mess up in same place it was a lot better. It holds the a/f pretty steady when driving too. I have a wideband 02 sensor gauge installed and it is very steady. With the carb it would fling all over the place. It still has lots of learning to do but it is doing it fast. Will drive it to work in the morning and will let yall know how that goes. I would buy it again. It is worth the money to me so far. I am hoping to increase my milage with it also a bunch.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

how did you hook up your other wideband? 2 welded bungs or did you hook it up with the FAST supplied sensor?
Old 05-16-2011, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

I have the AEM gauge on the driver side where the factory bung is and the EFI sensor is about one foot behind the passenger side collector tucked in my frame nicely. I found out today that they do not match eachother. The EFI reads 13.7 and the AEM reads 12.5. I trust the efi one more cause it is brand new and smells alot leaner then 12.5. I have had AEM gauge on there for a while and it says that if it is too lean or two rich for a long time it will damage the sensor. That sensor has seen 8 to 1 and over 18 to 1. For long times sometime. So it may be corroded.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

Well i have had efi on for a while now and still love it. I have just broken my fuel tank record. Went 11 trips to work and one to car wash. That is about 270 miles on about 18 gallons. I have not filled tank yet but that is around 15 mpg. The burb is close to 6000 lbs 33 inch tires and 4.10 gears. That is amazing. With the carb i was getting 6 trips to work and that is it. So i have just about doubled my mpg. Well worth it to me considering i now have better drivability and more power. Win Win Win situation.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Teching In

How u guys think this setup would work under boost? Does it utilize any kind of MAF or does it tune fuel strictly off a/f? I have not checked into them at all cause I thought they were only good to 550 hp. But if they can be modified for higher hp It may be a good direction for me to go. Going to research em now
Old 06-10-2011, 03:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

FAST states this specific system isn't to be used for boost.

There are plenty of other autolearning systems that are recommended for boost.

So at $4/gallon for gas you only need to save 750 gallons to get your $3000 purchase price back. If you really went from 7 mpg to 15 mpg that means you only need to drive something like 12,000 miles to get your money back. Really impressive.

Didn't you have another thread where you gave the carb to a buddy and he was having some kind of problems with it? Do you think the carb might have been defective when you had it on the burb?

I'm getting over 25 mpg with a carb. Can't imagine getting 50 MPG by switching to EFI.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
FAST states this specific system isn't to be used for boost.

There are plenty of other autolearning systems that are recommended for boost.

So at $4/gallon for gas you only need to save 750 gallons to get your $3000 purchase price back. If you really went from 7 mpg to 15 mpg that means you only need to drive something like 12,000 miles to get your money back. Really impressive.

Didn't you have another thread where you gave the carb to a buddy and he was having some kind of problems with it? Do you think the carb might have been defective when you had it on the burb?

I'm getting over 25 mpg with a carb. Can't imagine getting 50 MPG by switching to EFI.
Yes the ez efi is not intended for boost. It does use a map and iat sensor along with a wideband o2. The actual limit for power is 650 hp with there pump.

I was shoting for 10-12 mpg. Not everyone will gain mpg. It all depends on driving style and how well you existing carb is tuned in. If you went from a perfict carb to ez efi you may or maynot gain any. My carb was so far off and my tuneing ability is so small i did not have time to mess with it for a few months to get it right and then the weather would change and it be off again. Ether way it was getting efi soner or later. That is not really the idea of this efi style. It is more for the driveabilty and tuning ease. No swaping jets, power valves, nozzels. Just punch in the a/f you want to have and drive it. It figures out the reast.

Ya i sold the carb to my brother. The main problem was the fuel psi would go away when it warmed up. The cause was the oil filled fuel psi gauge. When it is hot it does not read. If you put ice on it for a sec it goes up. The smell is the carb is too big for his motor holley clames. It is a bone stock 350 with a performer rpm airgap manifold. Still has stock exhaust manifolds. He says it is way faster now tho.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:15 AM
Teching In

I was doing a search and found this thread. Are you still happy with it,any problems?
Old 10-09-2011, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

I still love it. It can sit for 2 weeks and all i have to do is turn key to let pump run for a few secs then bump starter. Still gets great milage and has great power. It has only stalled on me 2 times the hole time i have owned it. Even 4 wheeling where i went from full thorttle to closed fast many times. I will buy a nother fast ez efi if i ever buy a car with a carb again.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 85LSburb
I still love it. It can sit for 2 weeks and all i have to do is turn key to let pump run for a few secs then bump starter.
glad you're liking it but not really certain how this is noteworthy? I can let my 408w (4150 850cfm) sit for 6mths, come back, let the pump run for a few seconds and it fires right up.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2efnfast
glad you're liking it but not really certain how this is noteworthy? I can let my 408w (4150 850cfm) sit for 6mths, come back, let the pump run for a few seconds and it fires right up.
Even in cold temp with out even getting in the vehicle? With my brand new holley i would have to tap the gas to reset the choke. Some people are just great at setting up carbs. I am not. I have never ben in or known of a carbed performacne engine you can jump in and bust right off and drive away in cold weather.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LQ4 meets FAST EZ EFI