Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

what are the pros and cons of going carb

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 09:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what are the pros and cons of going carb

just curious i been looking into this for a while my car is a strip only car and i already have the th350 in her
Old 07-09-2011, 10:46 AM
On The Tree

I went carb because I don't have the equipment needed to tune EFI. I like to tinker, and a carb let's me do that. Besides, a carb on that spider looking LS intake looks awesome!
Old 07-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

I went carb because it was simpler for me. I already know everything about them and I did not want to have to chase down an EFI guru every time I needed a change.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In my case the carb was much cheaper. I started with a new crate motor. Sourcing EFI stuff new is a good bit more expensive. The other factors were I wanted to learn how to tune a carb, wanted to keep the manual choke (I know, weird, but I have owned this car forever and it is part of the character), didn’t have to sump the tank and most importantly didn’t have to buy a laptop and tuning software to tune the motor. I work with computers all day and the thought of needing a microsoft product to work on my car didn't appeal to me. Also no way would I ever be happy using a “tuner”. Sounds too gay to talk about “my tuner”.

As it is I did buy a $500 wideband and had to borrow a work laptop to set the ignition, but hey.

As for performance, the carb is working very well for my summer only car. I get good mileage (over 25 mpg), excellent power and in summer weather excellent drivability. There have been quite a few internet articles that show carbs with carb intakes generally pick up not only top end HP but low end power as well (I think I got that right). There have been other articles that say for all out performance carbs with an emulsion mixture coming in way above the intakes have an inherent advantage over EFI trying to atomize the fuel at the intake port. Some arguments about that, but people have posted comparisons.

The cons, carbs simply don’t work as well in the cold and they do require more tinkering to keep them running right. Carb motors also don’t live as long as EFI cause when cold they do wash more unburned fuel into the oil. For a strip car with frequent oil changes and won't go over 100K miles anyway this won’t be an issue. If you are the type of person who doesn't like getting gas on your hands, then you might want to go EFI and keyboards for tuning.

It can cost a bit to get set up with all the stuff you need to tune a carb. But once you have everything it is much cheaper to adapt the carb to a different motor if need be. Buying carb parts and tuning material used can really knock down the expense though. Things like jets and airbleeds never wear out.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

like the two others said.. i like to change parts here and there..dont want to pay 300 for a tune everytime i change something on it.. ..
Old 07-09-2011, 03:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts

Haven't made the LSX swap yet.... but will be going carb to keep it looking a little bit old school looking and I can tune in my garage... just easier all around for me (when I do it that is)

Like this :o

Old 07-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Launching!

Go carb for a strip only car for sure!

This shows the difference between EFI and Carb

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...m_hi_lift.html

I am doing carb set-up for my 68 Nova to keep the old school look myself using a LY6.

The carb picks up on the top end right were you need it up top especially if you have lots of gear and a nice high stall.

I'm going with this cam in my ly6 not 100% sure on converter but I think 4500 stall would be nice for the trackhttp://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_0909_gm_ls_engine_cam_test/photo_12.html

Notice the loss of power in the mid range the article shows that with most cams.

Bruce
Old 07-09-2011, 06:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by bitterman
Go carb for a strip only car for sure!

This shows the difference between EFI and Carb

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...m_hi_lift.html

I am doing carb set-up for my 68 Nova to keep the old school look myself using a LY6.

The carb picks up on the top end right were you need it up top especially if you have lots of gear and a nice high stall.

I'm going with this cam in my ly6 not 100% sure on converter but I think 4500 stall would be nice for the trackhttp://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_0909_gm_ls_engine_cam_test/photo_12.html

Notice the loss of power in the mid range the article shows that with most cams.

Bruce
I would think a tighter LSA (108-110 range) would look better with a carb ?
Old 07-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are going with a carb, I would just have a custom cam spec'ed for your application by one of the good guys on this board.
PM the usual suspects, PatG, EPS, TSP, Bullet Cams, Ect and you will have a cam that you will be very happy with.

Notch the pistons and get a cam with tighter lobe separation.

I would be looking at cams with around a 110 LSA, installed at 106 ICL.
This will get the HP/TQ party started a lot faster than a wide LSA EFI cam.

Do some searching on this topic, and you will find some very fast combos.

If you don't want to notch the pistons, the GM ASA Hot Cam (226/236 110lsa) is a strong performer that belts out 525+hp in the CT525 crate engine. (some have reported actual 560hp in testing)
Old 07-09-2011, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

I got my engine with 60k miles on it. LS1 out of a 98 Camaro SS. Installed it in my 70 Chevelle, and with the help of a few on this board, adapted my Muncie 21 to it, and topped it off with an Edelbrock Vr Jr bought off this board as well and a QFT Pro 750 mechanical. Ignition went with MSD 6010. Hooked everything up, put gas in the bowls, and the engine fired on the third crank! Best of both worlds, tune the curve, revs, and spray retard with the Dell, and get my hands covered in 91 Octane while wrenching on the carb. Old school still rulz!
Old 07-09-2011, 07:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Lots of magazines have done carburetor vs EFI comparisons and it is usually about equal. DO NOT believe people who say that EFI gives more power than a carb.

I run a carb because it makes some people mad!
Old 07-09-2011, 08:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

What all do i need to get started dont u delete the knock sensors as well. I have all kinds of goodies to sell/trade so that wont be a problem what size carb would i need and whats a good brand im clueless when it comes to carbs but i will learn fast im a auto tech just to young to have ever messed with a carb set up.

Things to fund this build:
NW/Fast 92/92
FTP 98mm LID
FTRA
Nitrous outlet 92mm plate
Bosch 42# injectors
LS6 valley cover and oil catch can

bet that will get it done!!
Old 07-09-2011, 09:29 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

If you already have a carbed car, it is hard not to stay carbed, otherwise, if you are lazy and dont know ****, you should have someone else do everything yourself and put EFI on it since at any given moment the ECM can tell you something is wrong and to take it somewhere.

For a real man that is on the real budget, the carb is king on the older cars.

Cheap, fast, effective and efficient if you know what you are doing.

I have a 180$ Innovate wide band that helped me nail the tune dead on, otherwise, turning a screw driver is cheaper than paying a tuner for the EFI like mentioned, i am proud to say i do 99% of all my own work.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Carb = no tuning and FI computers and fuel system = (Cheaper to build and tune).

CARB also offer several benefits over FI in power out put across the range and upper RPMs.

FI gives better economy, emissions, drivability (but I would argue any LS motor will have better drivability than a SBC or BBC any day).

BTW my cam has 112LSA and I have gone 11.0 1/4 (with no 3rd gear) drove to the track 30+ miles with 3.36 gear
Old 07-10-2011, 01:14 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by holley505
BTW my cam has 112LSA and I have gone 11.0 1/4 (with no 3rd gear) drove to the track 30+ miles with 3.36 gear
I use to run my car with 2.73's LOL 2.0 60's all day long

Only used 1st and 2nd at the track and was really fun playing with "ricers" on the street.1st would go to 80mph at 6000rpm and 2nd would bust 120mph easy and still have 3rd (th350) they never knew what hit them.... old muscle/pony cars aren't supposed to run like that ....hehe
Old 07-10-2011, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I cut a 1.65-1.68 60ft... leaving easy. 7.0 to the 1/8th. My time and MPH hurt me at 900-1000 foot mark when I bumped the limiter and had to get out before the finish. Thats why my mph was dropping to 118mph. I am guessing 122-125 in the 1/4 once i can shift into 3rd at WOT

BTW DOUG G...your Camaro runs good!
Old 07-10-2011, 05:40 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks

Really can't wait until I get the LS motor..... I see 10's coming soon

Gotta save a few more $$$
Old 07-15-2011, 03:06 AM
Teching In

i just bought a ls1 from a 2000 trans am ws6 with 60000 miles on in the engine with out any wiring and no heads.. it a complete short block i have the air intake fuel rails and the throttle body it also came with the factory valve covers and the coil packs. i was wondering what do i need for wiring if i switch to carb i also was wondering about running the distbortor off the cam can anyone tell me what i need for wiring for cab'ed ls1 i am putting this in a 1986 camaro this car will be a street strip car can i get some help so i can get my project done thanks
Old 07-15-2011, 06:45 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

You should start your own thread cornfed. Also, start doing some searches on the MSD 6010.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cornfed1986
i just bought a ls1 from a 2000 trans am ws6 with 60000 miles on in the engine with out any wiring and no heads.. it a complete short block i have the air intake fuel rails and the throttle body it also came with the factory valve covers and the coil packs. i was wondering what do i need for wiring if i switch to carb i also was wondering about running the distbortor off the cam can anyone tell me what i need for wiring for cab'ed ls1 i am putting this in a 1986 camaro this car will be a street strip car can i get some help so i can get my project done thanks
WHY? Get the MSDBOX 6010 like speed tigger said and make your life easier and install cleaner under the hood. I am sure its cheaper also!

Quick Reply: what are the pros and cons of going carb