Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

any help

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 09:22 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any help

Ok guys I have done alot of seaching and just trying to get some info. I have
a

347 LS1 11.5.1
Trickflow 225 heads
Custom comp cam 23X/23X
Vic jr intake
Older holley 750 carb. 70front/77 back 6.5 power valve in front.
36 timming at 2000 dropping to 33 at 4800
shift at 6800

I know something is just not right with the car. I have played with timming some and jets and it still still runs best with this set up. problem is that i can put a new set of plugs in make a pass shut car off and pull plugs. The plugs are snow white no fuel ring at all. I would think it would want more fuel but if i go up just 2 jet sizes car slows down.

What do you guys think. IF you need more info just let me know.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

"I know something is just not right" is pretty vague. You want others to give you suggestions based on that? How about a picture of that spark plug?
Old 08-08-2011, 01:22 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by speedtigger
"I know something is just not right" is pretty vague. You want others to give you suggestions based on that? How about a picture of that spark plug?
Thats the reason i gave info on the motor. In case someone seen something that did not look right.

I will get some pics of the plug this afternoon. I did not get in from track last night till about 2.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:38 PM
9 Second Club

The 2 marks up top are from being bumped around getting threads off. also at the bottom that is just a shadow. No fuel ring.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by neals98
Thats the reason i gave info on the motor. In case someone seen something that did not look right.

I will get some pics of the plug this afternoon. I did not get in from track last night till about 2.
The basic combo itself looks great. The only thing I wonder about is running a complex timing curve initially. I personally would keep it simple until track timing proves otherwise. But the little step in timing isn't like something you would feel in the seat of the pants.

So, is this car slower than you expected or what? Is that the reason you say it does not feel right?

What heat range is that plug?

Also, manual? Auto? If auto, what stall? What gear?
Old 08-08-2011, 05:49 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

you arent running unleaded gas are you? it doesnt leave deposits like leaded, and cant be read on the plug like that.
put some leaded fuel in it and then do your plug chops see what happens
Old 08-08-2011, 10:08 PM
9 Second Club

The basic combo itself looks great. The only thing I wonder about is running a complex timing curve initially. I personally would keep it simple until track timing proves otherwise. But the little step in timing isn't like something you would feel in the seat of the pants.

So, is this car slower than you expected or what? Is that the reason you say it does not feel right?

What heat range is that plug?

Also, manual? Auto? If auto, what stall? What gear?
Yea car is slower than what i think it should be. I just done a compression test and all cyl are between 90 and 115. I put alittle trans fluid in a couple of cyl and they jumped to 180 and 190

Originally Posted by 3pedals
you arent running unleaded gas are you? it doesnt leave deposits like leaded, and cant be read on the plug like that.
put some leaded fuel in it and then do your plug chops see what happens
Yes it 110 leaded race fuel in it.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:35 AM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

that sounds like it needs to come apart
Old 08-09-2011, 10:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With the money you have in that combo a wideband O2 sensor would be a most excellent investment to get the carb tuned right.

Reading a wideband beats the snot out of reading plugs.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Old School Heavy

I would want to know what pushrod length and what your measured lifter preload is too.

Also, if the cam is in 1 tooth off, you can get really low cranking compression and some really doggy performance.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:59 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
With the money you have in that combo a wideband O2 sensor would be a most excellent investment to get the carb tuned right.

Reading a wideband beats the snot out of reading plugs.
Yea i have been looking at the widebands this week.

I would want to know what pushrod length and what your measured lifter preload is too.

Also, if the cam is in 1 tooth off, you can get really low cranking compression and some really doggy performance.
Its the 7.500 push rod. I had to get them .100 longer because of the TF head. I back off the rockers on 1 cyl some to make sure it was not keeping valve open and it was about the same on compression test.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:42 AM
9 Second Club

I did find the major problem. MY COMPRESSION TESTER.
After reading all of this i decided to get another one and check it. 6 of them are at 165-175 and the back one on each side is 155-160

I still have the problem with the water not flowing like it should so i am going to put new water pump on tomorrow and see if it flows better. Also pick up a 160* Tstat today.

What would make the water not flow like it should. No Tstat in it. Wates seems just to move really slow. Only thing changed was the heads and cam.