Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Potential Carbed Ls build, lots of questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 12:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential Carbed Ls build, lots of questions...

Hey guys. I have a 93 chevy shortbed pickup and the more I think about it id love to do a Carbed LS build. Really thinking like a LQ4 6.0 for it. Something that would just be different and a fun little street truck.Not looking to race it or make a show truck but something just to have some fun in. Im getting ready to paint soon but before I do want to find out if it be worth it to do a Carbed Ls swap in it. Ive been doing some research but have lots of questions. First off i found this kit on Summitt which covers the intake and MSD box. worth looking into more or are their better options? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-7118/ Im not worried about headers or motor mounts. I would obviously need to do electric fans for radiator. How would I handle fuel? also noitce a lot of guys discussing gauges. Would I not be able to use factory gauges for this? also how to handle serpentine assembly? My current plans would not include any motor mods, maybe down the road but more interested in just the basics for right now. Would need a carb too. Any issues that you guys see here or anything im not thinking of. I dont mind spending some money but I dont feel like getting into a 6 month money pit project either. theres lots of guys who have done the carbed LS swamps on here and would love to hear from a few who have a reliable set-up and the problems they had so I can see if this is worth it or not for me to do or if i might be better off just doing some performance to the stock 350 in it now and keeping it like that.

INFO on truck:

1993 Chevrolet 1500 reg cab shortbed 2 wheel drive.
All stock drivetrain
350 engine w/ 5 speed manual trans
Old 03-22-2012, 05:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't buy that kit. The manifold is fine but get a true MSD box and not the Edlebrock one. The MSD box does everything the Edlebrock box does but also allows you to set custom ignition tunes using a lap top.

The rest of your questions have been talked about in the multiple build threads. Just spend a few hours reading and getting ideas.

Carb'd LS motors make for very nice cruisers with lots of performance potential.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:06 AM
Teching In

I agree with POP and went with the MSD box and intake separately. Many more option when tuning. An electric fuel pump will take care of the fuel delivery. Don't forget the fan controller and possible a Flywheel to match your tranny (depends on which tranny you will be going with). Shop around for price, I have used MikeFSKSpeed (forum sponsor found in vendor section) his service is great, as are the prices. I like that he quotes the prices shipped, no guessing.

When looking for a motor, find one that comes with accessories or serpentine assembly. I bought a crate LS1 long block and found the accessories separately, then had to change balancer to match. Much biger pain.

The only thing that was sort of a surprise so far, is that the LS motor is a little over an inch shorter and when I placed the Tranny crossmember back in, I had to modify it and the drive shaft will be short also. I am sure I would have found this out if I would have searched better here or asked the question. There are a lot of very helpful and knowledgeable folks on this forum for not only carbing your LS motor, but for most other questions when it comes to making the swap.

This is my first swap and been working on it over the winter, so I am sure forgetting things. Folks like Zones do these as weekend projects and I think he has done a pickup similar to yours.

Again great resources here, good luck and have fun!
Old 03-22-2012, 11:10 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

You need to look at my swap thread in my 94 gmc, will answer allot of your questions, like the fact I used my stick fuel pump with a bypass radiator, still used the stock 2009 truck accessories, and the clutch fan, easy swap, as for headers, 269 shipped for full lengths, easy swap and tons of fun, I just have a stock 4.8 daily driver and it rolls out impressively, a 6.0 will run hard.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
You need to look at my swap thread in my 94 gmc, will answer allot of your questions, like the fact I used my stick fuel pump with a bypass radiator, still used the stock 2009 truck accessories, and the clutch fan, easy swap, as for headers, 269 shipped for full lengths, easy swap and tons of fun, I just have a stock 4.8 daily driver and it rolls out impressively, a 6.0 will run hard.
Cool. I saw your post under the lsx rides but do you have an actual build thread on the truck or no?
Old 03-23-2012, 06:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I see you dont have many posts, so I am assuming you may not know about the 'search this forum' click in the upper right of the screen. Just click on it and put ZONES user name in the box. It will come up in that list. Hope this helps and Good Luck!
Old 03-24-2012, 10:13 AM
Staging Lane

hey i am doing this same swap in my 89 z71. i went with that same intake kit because i do not really plan on doing any mods to the motor. as for the fueling i already have braided stainless lines running to the back of my tbi. so i opted for keeping my stock fuel system and added a bypass regulator under the hood. there are also multiple motor mounts available. i used the transdapt 4572. but alot of guys like to use the dirty dingo mounts because they are adjustable by up to 2". for the 2wd trucks alot of guys run the schnofield headers. then there are a couple other odds and end you will need. like oil pressure sensor adapters and coolant sensor adapters
Old 03-25-2012, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by newschool72
I see you dont have many posts, so I am assuming you may not know about the 'search this forum' click in the upper right of the screen. Just click on it and put ZONES user name in the box. It will come up in that list. Hope this helps and Good Luck!
Dont let the number of post fool you, im a reader not a poster.haha Belong to about 20 different forums in total. I did a search but never found a build thread. Tid bts here and there but i thought maybe zones had it on another forum or something. While a step by step tutorial would be awesome, im really just looking for a lot of links for where to buy the parts. Hopefully Zones would be willing to help me out on that since my build will end up very similar to his.

Originally Posted by 89sierra
so i opted for keeping my stock fuel system and added a bypass regulator under the hood. there are also multiple motor mounts available. i used the transdapt 4572. but alot of guys like to use the dirty dingo mounts because they are adjustable by up to 2". for the 2wd trucks alot of guys run the schnofield headers. then there are a couple other odds and end you will need. like oil pressure sensor adapters and coolant sensor adapters
Any real advantage to using the bypass regulator? I dont exactly understand how they work but have also never owned a vehicle without an in tak fuel pump so yeah.lol Could you explain that a little more. I had planned on using a inline fuel pump on the rail and keeping my stock tank but im open to ideas. Do you have any links on where to buy the motor mounts?

Alright so heres my UPDATE:

Im serious about doing this but first I want to put truck together and get inspected. Im concerned I wont be able to pass emissions testing after I put this in so at least want to get 2 year tags before doing a swap.

I set out to find a motor complete and running in a truck or van. I got lucky on friday night and found a 01 chevy 2500 HD with a few small problems and a blown transfer case so I went to look at it at 930 pm and bought it. The motor had 197,xx miles on it but sounded and looked great. I went back the next day to pick it up but soon found a problem. This truck was just to nice to cut up. Heated leather seats. LT Model. runs great. Im actually going to fix it up and DD it to replace my my current DD (1997 K1500). So now im back to square 1 looking for a motor.Was hoping to have this swapped and running by summer but unless I can find another deal I wouldnt count on it. Anways thought id share some pics of the truck (yes I know its 3 different colors but all panels are straight or straighter than what I originally had.) Let me know what you guys think

Last edited by OnlyACamaroCanbeAZ28; 03-25-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:29 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Schoenfeld headers, msd ignition, performer rpm intake, 1 inch set back adapter plates off eBay, used a 2002 Trans with a FAST EX TCU off eBay as well, carb is a 750 vac sec, pretty basic and you can get those parts from anywhere damn near, I used the stock alternator and made it work in the Ls truck bracket, power steering will plumb into the older truck.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

alright. I found your write up on your truck and that covered some stuff. Does seem like a pretty simple swap. My only concern is the 5 speed manual trans hooking up to the 6.0 alright and some of the wiring for the gauges but Ill figure that stuff out once i find a motor. Did you ever get any track or dyno numbers on your truck?
Old 03-26-2012, 11:07 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Not yet, I would use a 6 speed if I was you.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

hey check out ls1truck they have a couple guys over there that have done a ls swap to 5 speed. as for the bypass fuel regulator you have your pump in your tank that produces up to say 15psi. although your carb set up will only need 6-8psi. so the bypass regulator lets the fuel come in at 15 psi per say and diverts the extra fuel pressure back to the tank and only sends the amount of pressure you want/need set up to go to the carb. as for the motor mounts check out http://dirtydingo.com/store/index.php?cPath=323
Old 03-27-2012, 12:46 AM
10 Second Club

We have done carb conversions using a high pressure pump and used a mallory regulator, but for a TBI pump that only puts out 15psi, I would just use a holley regulator. Theyre cheap, simple, and effective. Eric L
Old 04-27-2012, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

Not yet, I would use a 6 speed if I was you.
Any real advantage to using a 6 speed other than more gears? I feel like it would be a lot of cost. Anything I need to keep an eye out for on these 6.0 motors? I've looked at 2 ,an 01 and 00. Wasn't sure if any specific years were worse than other years or had small problems
Old 04-27-2012, 01:38 PM
In-Zane Moderator

6 speed is direct install to LS, and rated 450 FTLBs all day. 99/2000 6.0 have longer crank that will not work. 2001 up is fine.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

6 speed is direct install to LS, and rated 450 FTLBs all day. 99/2000 6.0 have longer crank that will not work. 2001 up is fine.
The nv3500 wouldnt be a direct install? I thought all Gm trans would bolt up to the 6.0? I know the t56 is a much better transmission but it also comes with an expensive cost and a tci/fast box to eliminate the elctronics which was another 600 i believe. Not trying to put huge money into the build. Want more of a learning expierence than anything, then I can consider doing similar set-ups on other vehicles with some knowledge under my belt.

I did not know that about the other 6.0's which is a good thing because i almost bought a 2000 chevy 2500 Hd (GMT 800 style) the other day. the engine cover looked different though and threw me off, good thing i avoided it then.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:30 PM
In-Zane Moderator

T56 is a manual 6 speed, did not know you were speaking of a automatic, sorry.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:59 AM
On The Tree

ok so I did some more reasearch and see the problem with the longer crankcase throwing off the alignment of the clutch, flywheel and starter. all the information I can find says it is a problem with the t56 but nothing relates to other manual transmission like the stock NV3500 5 speed that I have in the truck now.it does say the problem can be avoided with an automatic with a different flexplate but I really dont want an auto in this truck. So basicaly You cant use a manual trans in the 99/00 6.0 motors because of the longer crank or is it just the t56?. seems like the only option for a 99/00 motor is an automatic or go 01 and up with the shorter crank if you want a stick. Am I correct or misunderstanding something?
Old 05-04-2012, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

? you cant use a manual trans at all behind a 99/00 6.0 ?

Quick Reply: Potential Carbed Ls build, lots of questions...