Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Deliver Me From Temptation - N2O

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 12:46 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
I am dying to see if my TA picks up over the RS with the automatic, so hope we can both get some results soon!
Is the T/A fatter? And, how much converter did you put in?
Old 09-24-2012, 04:12 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

The RS was 3150, all interior carpet ad impact bars removed, ect, so the TA is 150 or so more, the converter is a 4500.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
The RS was 3150, all interior carpet ad impact bars removed, ect, so the TA is 150 or so more, the converter is a 4500.
Tough call. If I remember the videos accurately, you were driving the hell out of that stick shift, so it is hard for me to say it will be quicker with the extra weight. It will be interesting to see for sure.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by buschmec
tigger, take montes advice on the tune for this setup. rich is NEVER safe more people burn motors with rich tunes than any other tune-up.

stick to the lean/ low timing tunes if you want the engine to keep a set of pistons.

90% of the time people blame a burnt hole on being lean, and 95% of them are wrong......been there done that,

the correct fuel tune along with not running the timing on the edge is a recipe for alot of passes with little hassle.

Please enlighten me on what happens to these motors your blowing up with a slightly rich/fat tune.

Tell me about the holes your finding in pistons with a rich/fat tune. How are you theorizing doing this?

Now if your running your timing wrong, thats on you, thats not because of the fuel mixture. I realize both need to be correct, but I have never saw this terrible damage your talking about from being a little rich on fuel.

I stated my opinion on the matter earlier your posts seems to be aimed at discrediting my opinion. I'm not "name dropping" anyone. My opinion is formed from my tuning and racing.

NO ENGINES HAVE BEEN HARMED IN MY EXPERIMENTING.

Last edited by The stunningman; 09-25-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:30 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by The stunningman
Please enlighten me on what happens to these motors your blowing up with a slightly rich/fat tune.

Tell me about the holes your finding in pistons with a rich/fat tune. How are you theorizing doing this?

Now if your running your timing wrong, thats on you, thats not because of the fuel mixture. I realize both need to be correct, but I have never saw this terrible damage your talking about from being a little rich on fuel.

I stated my opinion on the matter earlier your posts seems to be aimed at discrediting my opinion. I'm not "name dropping" anyone. My opinion is formed from my tuning and racing.

NO ENGINES HAVE BEEN HARMED IN MY EXPERIMENTING.
Wow. I did not see anyone attack you in this thread including buschmec.

As for being a little rich, I am sure that is not a big deal. However, in one of your earlier posts you said you had a "63 N20 71 Fuel" jet spread. By today's nitrous technology standards that and crazy rich.

I realize that is what the jets spreads were on the old NOS kits from the 80s and early 90s. However, all of the nitrous gurus including those who work for and have worked for NOS like Monte Smith & Mike Thermos as well as other like Steven Johnson from Induction Solutions are recommending a 10 jet spread with a larger nitrous jet than fuel at about 5 pounds of fuel pressure (carbureted).

So for your power level they are advising 63 nitrous and 53 fuel as a starting point.

If you go where the big nitrous boys are over at Yellow Bullet and do so searches and some reading, you can find where they talk about what damage a rich tune does.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 122 Likes on 109 Posts

Too rich is as bad as too lean....both will destroy an engine.

Now you can be a little off one way or the other and be fine, but once you get outta that "safe zone"
Old 09-26-2012, 04:47 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Safe is slightly rich. Not pig rich. They both are bad in any extreme, one blows holes in pistons the other blows off ring lands, from my experience anyway. Lol, glad they were not mine. On my sniper kit, to get 12.0:1 I had the 150 jet nitrous and the 100 fuel.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:46 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Wow. I did not see anyone attack you in this thread including buschmec.

As for being a little rich, I am sure that is not a big deal. However, in one of your earlier posts you said you had a "63 N20 71 Fuel" jet spread. By today's nitrous technology standards that and crazy rich.

I realize that is what the jets spreads were on the old NOS kits from the 80s and early 90s. However, all of the nitrous gurus including those who work for and have worked for NOS like Monte Smith & Mike Thermos as well as other like Steven Johnson from Induction Solutions are recommending a 10 jet spread with a larger nitrous jet than fuel at about 5 pounds of fuel pressure (carbureted).

So for your power level they are advising 63 nitrous and 53 fuel as a starting point.

If you go where the big nitrous boys are over at Yellow Bullet and do so searches and some reading, you can find where they talk about what damage a rich tune does.
I am interested in seeing this rich mixture damage. If you think of your engine as a torch, which it is in a way. If you add fuel the flame will get less heat in it and more smoke, but lean it out by adding OXygen, the flame gets really hot. Your engine is going on the same principal. Add the NOS and fuel the combustion temperature raises dramatically. Lean the fuel charge with a increase in Oxygen you end up with melted electrodes, holes in pistons, butted rings busting the tops off pistons ( I know they can also butt just because they weren't gapped for NOS and power level to start with). The worse thing being a little rich is your leaving power on the table. Lean and bad timing causes detonation Which we all know destroys stuff quickly. Having the tune a little rich actually deters detonation. Given the choice between the two options on spray I'm staying on the rich side.

I have over 50 passes (probably way over) all the passes look as clean as the one in my sig. Spray out the gate ....No Black smoke anfd my plugs look fine when I cut them up. I just recently had the heads off during my Fairmont swap. Everything is AOK. I will also be spraying the fairmont. I will check out the yellow bullet articles but I don't see the damage this guy is talking about coming from a rich mixture.

Last edited by The stunningman; 09-26-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:31 PM
9 Second Club

Quick glimpse over there and this is the theory on the lifted ring lands.

Too much fuel..

Fuel gets trapped under the ring..
Fuel explodes on the next firing cycle and lifts ring land..
Ring gets stuck...
Oil rushes in..
Nitrous...gas..oil cause thermal melt down...

I don't buy into all this. And it seems like every piston failure at yellow bullet was caused by the mixture was to rich lol. I guess I know where buschmech gets all his advice. Honestly if I was a "on the fence", after looking in their piston failure thread I would NEVER spray a engine.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:41 AM
Old School Heavy

There is a lot of seriously knowledgeable and experienced nitrous people over there.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Always error on the rich side. If theres not enough fuel, your engine parts will be next. Just saying from a lot of exprience. I have in all my 20+ years of engine building never seen a injury from to rich. Unless it is insaning rich, I dont see how it can happen.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:14 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by dmracing
Always error on the rich side. If theres not enough fuel, your engine parts will be next. Just saying from a lot of exprience. I have in all my 20+ years of engine building never seen a injury from to rich. Unless it is insaning rich, I dont see how it can happen.
What is your set up and jet spread?
Old 09-29-2012, 09:10 PM
Old School Heavy

Spent the whole day re-wiring today. The one thing that I did makeshift when I was finishing my car was the final wiring. I wanted to drive it now!

Well, it was time to pay the piper and do it right. Wiring is sooo freakin' time consuming. But, now I have a nice modern auxiliary fuse box with plenty of extra circuits and all of my wiring is organized in looms and sheathing. I also added a convenience panel in the engine compartment for a central location for relays and such.

I also finally wired my lock up torque converter. I drove around playing with it. It is nice to have.

I am going to try to make test and tune Wednesday for final tuning with the new 950HP and see how advancing the cam affects the times. Then I will be ready to start the nitrous install.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I run a high pressure tune. A little different from the norm. Its works and I dont like change.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:52 PM
Old School Heavy

Man. Rain rain rain. TnT rained out tonight and it is supposed to rain all week. No racing for me this week.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

You could start with squat jetting and 5.5 psi and youll be fine.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:46 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Darracq
You could start with squat jetting
Not sure I have ever heard of squat jetting.....
Old 10-04-2012, 06:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Not sure I have ever heard of squat jetting.....
square sorry. was in a hurry.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:14 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Darracq
square sorry. was in a hurry.
The nitrous experts I engaged on YellowBullet to said square jetting is way over rich. They said for a 150 shot at 5 psi fuel pressure to use an 8 to 10 spread to start and would probably even end up with more spread. These are people like Monte Smith, Mike Thermos and Steve Johnson.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:04 AM
Old School Heavy

I tried to go to the local 1/8 mile track last night, but the track was un-raceable. The track has new owners and the place was a disaster, so I will have to make the hour and a half drive to the quarter mile track next week if I want to get the final pre-nitrous tune done.

I've got the line in the car. Today I will mount the bottle and set up the heater andblow down system.

Quick Reply: Deliver Me From Temptation - N2O