Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Performer intake and nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 03:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performer intake and nitrous?

Is anyone running a carbed performer intake with a nitrous plate setup?

Clearly the Victor Is the preferred part, but I am curious how the performer works with n2o. I searched for such a thread but came up dry. The split in the manifold looks like it might interfere with the spray bar setup. I have not yet contacted any manufacturers of nitrous kits for advice. I saw one setup where there was no plate, the spray bar was installed through a drilled victor down the center of the intake. Slick.

I am going to go the nitrous route once I work all the bugs out of my build, this was just on my mind planning for down the road. I currently have the performer manifold and bought it for the low end street grunt, but the overall picture is leaning toward a higher revving setup than I initially imagined. What do you fellas think about this?
Old 10-15-2012, 04:09 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Done it, works fine for a 150 shot. Above that? Don't think I would try.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:33 AM
Teching In

Likewise, Ive used dual plane intakes on a small shot (150 or less) but they say it messes with the distribution...
Old 10-15-2012, 03:18 PM
Launching!

Hi I have a pickup with a 6.0 and a Edelbrock performer and a Pro Systems 850 with a Zex plate,(there is no bar ) and so far have not had a problem. Used a 150 shot and ran a 7.15 in the 1/8th. Have made some suspension changes and will go to 200 then to 250 then to 300 shot. Ran a 11.27 on a 100 shot @ 119 mph.
Have not heard of any problem with this Zex plate. It is good to 300 shot. Of course I don't know if your bottom end is forged or not. Also I added a 1" spacer and with the nitrous plate it makes almost 2"s which adds some top end RPM. Good luck. Steve
Really a nice looking Chevelle.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

If your interested, I might trade you my new Vic Jr for your performer RPM (if it's for cathedral intake ports). PM me if your interested.

Last edited by jsanford; 10-15-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:06 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Sr.
Hi I have a pickup with a 6.0 and a Edelbrock performer and a Pro Systems 850 with a Zex plate,(there is no bar ) and so far have not had a problem. Used a 150 shot and ran a 7.15 in the 1/8th. Have made some suspension changes and will go to 200 then to 250 then to 300 shot.
Everything I have ever read says that a 150 shot is the ceiling for dual planes. Here is an excerpt from Edelbrock and the source document.

Horsepower settings of 200 and 250 are for single plane manifolds only. In testing, we found that dual
plane manifolds have some distribution problems at these super high flowrates that could cause engine
damage. Please contact the Edelbrock Technical department with any questions you have concerning
jetting patterns and their effects on engine performance when using a dual plane manifold.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...7000/70053.pdf
Old 10-16-2012, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Everything I have ever read says that a 150 shot is the ceiling for dual planes. Here is an excerpt from Edelbrock and the source document.

Horsepower settings of 200 and 250 are for single plane manifolds only. In testing, we found that dual
plane manifolds have some distribution problems at these super high flowrates that could cause engine
damage. Please contact the Edelbrock Technical department with any questions you have concerning
jetting patterns and their effects on engine performance when using a dual plane manifold.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...7000/70053.pdf
Thanks for the heads up Speedtigger. I'll look into it. The Edelbrock plate has a bar and my Zex doesn't, also the jets used for each step is different. The timing retard is about the same. I will contact Zex and see what there experience is. Also Edelbrock. Don't want to shell a motor if I can prevent it. With my Edelbrock progressive controller using only 100 to 125 off the line and the rest coming in in two different times after that. I think that can make it work, but will ask alot of questions first. My future plans and dream is a roots blower. I know turbo or super charger. I've got to be different. YUK,YUK.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

Interesting thread....I'm using the performer intake and wanted to run nitrous in the future as well. I would be interested to see the types of setups that work well with the dual plane, something like a 100 or 150 shot.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

Interesting article someone linked me http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...ystem_testing/
Old 11-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the link SNY.

That was an interesting read. Basically tested and proved cylinder to cylinder distribution to not be a factor either way. I really wanted to maintain that low end. The dual plane is here to stay. Regardless, this motor won't see over 150 anyway most likely. You guys are awesome thanks again. This Chevelle will be driving by Christmas. That is a fact even if I need to take vacation time from work. The weeks have been zooming by and the car just sits there. I have been chipping away at it but all I need is about a week of dedicated time to roll out.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Hey no problem. I went with the dual for the same reasons. I want low end torque....lot's of it since that's where I will spend most of my street driving and it still performs at the top end...especially with a nice 150 shot for the drag strip

Quick Reply: Performer intake and nitrous?