Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Comp Thumpr cam

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 09:15 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my experience any of the Thumpr Cams sacrifice performance for sound.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was watching Horsepower TV this past weekend they were working on a SBC that had a thumper cam in it. They removed that cam, ported the heads and intake and put in another cam that was supposed to be better but ended up lower peak horsepower but overall gains in the lower end, if I was listening correctly.

I have a coupon for a free thumper cam but am unsure about using one.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well even if you aren't going to run it, I would get that free cam and sell it on the i'm 50 and just want my car to sound mean forum.

Last edited by My6speedZ; 03-12-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
Well even if you aren't going to run it, I would get that free cam and sell it on the i'm 50 and just want my car to sound mean forum.
This!!!
Old 03-12-2013, 02:33 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You guys have obviously never run 1 or had 1rst hand experience with the thumper cams. They work well. Yes a more powerful cam can be had, but these cams are not dogs, they run pretty damn good.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:41 PM
FormerVendor

I wasn't ******* the Thumpr cam, just agreeing that if he wasn't sure if he wanted to use it or not and he had a free coupon, to use that sob and put it towards more car parts he wanted.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 3pedals
You guys have obviously never run 1 or had 1rst hand experience with the thumper cams. They work well. Yes a more powerful cam can be had, but these cams are not dogs, they run pretty damn good.
I don't think any LS engine with a cam no matter how wacky would ever truly run like a dog IMO. Are there better cams? Sure.

My comment was just poking a little fun at the shine an cruise' old timers I've meet (all nice cool guys that I enjoy hanging with too FWIW).

So this cam has it's place and I almost would say it sounds exactly like what he would want from his cam.

Longevity to his springs, noticeable lope, decent power.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah i'm not looking for a max power motor that is hard on the valvetrain, if i was, i wouldn't be starting with a 5.3 with stock casting heads, it would be a large stroker motor with AFR heads. This is going to be a nice weekend cruiser, very little track time. Yes, i'll be one of the old guys(40) hanging out at the car shows.

I watched my Dad with his last car, 509 BBC, huge cam. Always playing with valve lash, changing springs cuz they are whipped, price to pay to run high 9's. Even he had calmed his current nova down, nice cruiser, only 468 cu, runs on 87 octane, still manages 11.30's. But it is fun, without the constant maintenace. It even sounds good.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:44 AM
8 Second Club

If you decide to use a thumper on the 5.3, use the smallest 1 and be sure to use at least 3000 stahl converter even though comp cams says stock converter is ok. The middle thumper is really too big for a 5.3.
For all the haters, the smallest LS thumper is very close to a GM Hot cam, which runs incredibly well in any LS motor.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:55 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

It should also be said that a lot of the hate on Tech for the Thumpr series comes from the EFI guys. The narrow LSA and advanced ICL of the Thumpr series cams compliments the open plenum single plane intakes that most carbureted LS motors use. It is not so good for the long runner EFI intakes that most of the guys on Tech use.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:07 AM
FormerVendor

Do any of you know or understand how these cams have more lope at idle compared to another cam that has the same @.050" numbers including LSA? I do!
Old 03-13-2013, 07:09 AM
8 Second Club

Yes Martin , you aren't the only 1 who understands
Old 03-13-2013, 07:26 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

LOL!

Anyone else want a cookie?

Last edited by speedtigger; 03-13-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old 03-13-2013, 05:19 PM
FormerVendor

Instead of your snippy response why not tell the good people of this thread why?
Old 03-13-2013, 05:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, elaborate please...
Old 03-13-2013, 05:52 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Overlap in valve events is a good reason.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:57 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Instead of your snippy response why not tell the good people of this thread why?
Don't take it so personal, especially when you ask for it with condescending responses like the 1 below.
Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Do any of you know or understand how these cams have more lope at idle compared to another cam that has the same @.050" numbers including LSA? I do!
Gentle lobes.
I get it you want to sell cams, I'm not stopping you, and I dont have a problem with you either. Since you are the cam guy of the day , that people here are looking to, maybe it is you who should explain it, and why your custom cam would be better than a thumper for the original poster's needs.
Lets not let Internet BS start to invade the carb forum, it has been reasonably BS free up to now.
There is so much nut hugging and false Internet truth being spread on the rest of LS1 tech that I couldn't help myself but post some actual 1rst hand experience on this.
Barrett
Old 03-13-2013, 06:49 PM
FormerVendor

Don't take it so personal, especially when you ask for it with condescending responses like the 1 below.

Gentle lobes.
I get it you want to sell cams, I'm not stopping you, and I dont have a problem with you either. Since you are the cam guy of the day , that people here are looking to, maybe it is you who should explain it, and why your custom cam would be better than a thumper for the original poster's needs.
Lets not let Internet BS start to invade the carb forum, it has been reasonably BS free up to now.
There is so much nut hugging and false Internet truth being spread on the rest of LS1 tech that I couldn't help myself but post some actual 1rst hand experience on this.
Barrett
I never said your name or quoted your post so why take it so personal to reply with the response you did instead of just explaining it? You obviously feel some sort of way about me.

Gentle lobes doesn't even scratch the surface of why. A faster more aggressive lobe is quicker from seat to seat aka .006"-.006". Therefore it spends less time in crank degree in overlap than a slower lobe. A slower lobe is the opposite, it spends more time in crank degrees in overlap because it takes longer to go from seat to seat as it is a slower lobe.

Now that is cleared up I will address the rest of your post.

Where have I said one time in this thread that a custom cam let alone any cam I offer would be better? I haven't once. The only reason I'm in this thread is because my keyword alert told me someone mentioned tick in this thread. I hardly ever come in this forum.

What internet BS have you ever heard or seen me post? You say you have no problem with me yet you act like I'm spreading lies and BS for cam sales. I don't contact people to do their cams they contract me based off results and others recommendations. If that makes you mad at me you're mad at the wrong person.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:03 PM
FormerVendor

I'm sorry for de railing this thread. I apologize to anyone I may of offended with my condescending post including Barrett (3pedals). I realize now Barrett wasn't saying I was spreading BS, but that there was BS involving people saying these cams suck. Anyways enough with the de rail.

Quick Reply: Comp Thumpr cam