Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Comp Thumpr cam

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 04:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comp Thumpr cam

Anyone here or know someone that has run these cams? Did a search, turned not much up. Mostly people saying they sucked, without proof to back it up. I found a car craft article that installed one in a 5.3, made 96hp, just with the cam. Granted, the duration was a bit high for my liking, but smaller ones are available. Thoughts?
Old 03-07-2013, 08:27 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Quick Ranger
Mostly people saying they sucked, without proof to back it up.
LOL. Yep, that is how most of the forums outside of the carb forum are on tech. Shortly after that, somebody will tell you that you have to call the latest carb guru for a custom cam or your motor will not even run.

I think the reason there is not feedback on tech is that the type of person who would buy a Thumpr is not going to run out post his dyno numbers or track times to compete with their internet friends. Most Thumpr customers just want the sound and some performance and are not trying to outdo anyone.

The Thumpr series do not have the latest fastest ramps, nor are they trying to squeeze every last bit out of the curve. They are going for "the sound" and trying to be easy on the valve train. However, all of the people who say they don't work or won't work are pulling that out of their rear. I bet they will run pretty hard.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

The best soulution for any cam questions I have had lately is to give Martin at Tick performance a call. He knows his stuff and you can get the right sound with a good power increase out of a custom cam. Im not sure of the numbers on the Thumper cam but he can have you one ground and shipped to your door before next weekend. Unless you are getting a smoking deal on the Thumper, I would give him a call. My .02
Old 03-07-2013, 03:53 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

This numbers are goofy from a glance from those grinds. As stated by tigger, sound was the goal. Yet, the LS platform is a *****, you stick any cam in it and it will gain power. So, a increase in power will happen regardless. I would never run one. But, I would never go for just sound.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:30 PM
Old School Heavy

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
the LS platform is a *****, you stick any cam in it and it will gain power.
Tech quote of the week.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

This numbers are goofy from a glance from those grinds. As stated by tigger, sound was the goal. Yet, the LS platform is a *****, you stick any cam in it and it will gain power. So, a increase in power will happen regardless. I would never run one. But, I would never go for just sound.
This is hilarious. Also true.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:58 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Lol, glad I could please.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by speedtigger
LOL. Yep, that is how most of the forums outside of the carb forum are on tech. Shortly after that, somebody will tell you that you have to call the latest carb guru for a custom cam or your motor will not even run.

I think the reason there is not feedback on tech is that the type of person who would buy a Thumpr is not going to run out post his dyno numbers or track times to compete with their internet friends. Most Thumpr customers just want the sound and some performance and are not trying to outdo anyone.

The Thumpr series do not have the latest fastest ramps, nor are they trying to squeeze every last bit out of the curve. They are going for "the sound" and trying to be easy on the valve train. However, all of the people who say they don't work or won't work are pulling that out of their rear. I bet they will run pretty hard.
See, i am one of those guys, i will never run on a dyno, i'm not trying to build an all out race motor here, just something that makes good power, fun on the street, occasional trip to the track.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

This cam made a 96hp gain on the dyno, over stock, on a stock 5.3. So what you are saying, other options in cams will provide an even greater gain? From what i saw, power was not that great below 3k, but a converter with a 3k stall sort of negates that.

I've look at the Eddy cams aswell, they show a decent power increase, but that is with their aftermarket heads, not the stockers.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 131 Likes on 118 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Don't believe everything on the internet....or in magazines.

Yes, those cam are just for sound....any power they made was a bonus.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:30 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Need to see that more than once in some magazine. Sounds good, but it is a magazine and I'm sure there were advertisements for that cam manufacturer in that rag.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well i guess i'll assume the numbers were false due to advertising. Only other options beside an edelbrock cam is to go custom(which the numbers they post are with their aftermarket heads). None of the sponsers on here offer a "carb" cam, so those would be rendered as useless. I'll get in contact with Martin at Tick, from searching he seems to be the man for custom cams.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All of the sponsors offer carb cams. Give them a call, they know what they are doing.

Lunati makes a series of off the shelf cams geared toward carbs. Huge lift numbers though.

http://www.lunatipower.com/Media/Doc...0LS%20Cams.pdf

GMPP makes a "stage 2" cam with a tight LSA. Don't know anyone who has run one of these, but interesting numbers

https://sdparts.com/details/gm-perfo...parts/88958722
Old 03-09-2013, 08:04 AM
Old School Heavy

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Quick Ranger
Well i guess i'll assume the numbers were false due to advertising. Only other options beside an edelbrock cam is to go custom(which the numbers they post are with their aftermarket heads). None of the sponsers on here offer a "carb" cam, so those would be rendered as useless. I'll get in contact with Martin at Tick, from searching he seems to be the man for custom cams.
He is the "cam hero of the week" here on LS1Tech. (Not bagging on you Martin). Last year nearly every cam related post said "call Patrick G!" at least 3 times within the first page.

With that being said, Martin can help you pick custom specs very well. But, so cam most cam manufacturers.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:33 PM
In-Zane Moderator

There is also Geoff at EPS. But Martin is the one coming through just for us carb guys right now.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger
He is the "cam hero of the week" here on LS1Tech. (Not bagging on you Martin). Last year nearly every cam related post said "call Patrick G!" at least 3 times within the first page.

With that being said, Martin can help you pick custom specs very well. But, so cam most cam manufacturers.
LMFAO!!!

If I had room in my signature to add that I would.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:31 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A freind of mine ran the middle size thumper in his LQ4, no dyno or track times, but it runs HARD! It is in a c1500 with not enough stahl in the converter(2500) but it still works great.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Now that is a response, not just guessing, actual results.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:16 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Well, don't know what results were there, but of it satisfies you. Like I mentioned, they are open to any mod, a random grind will respond to damn near and LS platform. And although not optimal it will be noticeable.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

I will keep my options open, i was looking at this cam from the article i saw. Doesn't hurt that i can buy it for under $300 either thru a person i know. Same with Wiseco, purchased 5.3 forged pistons thru a guy that works at Wiseco for $400.

Quick Reply: Comp Thumpr cam