Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Ls alternator wiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls alternator wiring

Is the alternator from a 2004 LQ4 self exciting or which pin in the connection is the right one?
Old 10-23-2013, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the connector it should have 4 letters it's the P one that exites it. I have it connected to my switch on ignition. But with a small light in between. Works good 14.5 volts all day
Old 10-23-2013, 10:38 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your supposed to run a resistor inline it needs 5 volts. Any more and it burns up the alternator. There are quite a few write-ups on it here. I just put a 1993-1994 4.3 S10 alternator on the truck bracket and forget about it.
The following users liked this post:
Dccorr6698 (04-11-2020)
Old 10-24-2013, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

^^^^This is what I do. Works great. One switch wire and one wire to the battery
Old 10-24-2013, 09:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here, I used a cs144 alt though, its a 140 amp. Comes on a 99 tahoe
Old 10-26-2013, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hope this helps.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Bumping an old thread.

So the brown wire "I" connects to the starter wire (purple for GM IIRC)? So the excitor wire only gets power when the car is cranking?

Also the "S" can be added as the load for the alternator into any 12v service. Not directly to the battery + as that defeats the purpose. In my alt loom this is a light gray wire.

Great alt reading:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...art2/#csseries

Thanks!

Last edited by APillow; 07-04-2015 at 09:10 AM. Reason: link
Old 07-04-2015, 08:41 PM
Teching In

its not a starter wire its the ignition on switch. like when you turn the key to the running position and all your stuff is on.
hope this helps
Old 07-08-2015, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

Excellent, thanks for the clarification!

I have read it so many different ways on that wire.

So to be clear the brown wire receive constant 12v switched ignition power. Switched constant being the key here.

TY!!!
Old 07-10-2015, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Works!!!

Voltage will fluctuate a little bit so I am hoping the system voltage is being read from the Gray wire and adjusting as needed.

It is tough to see but there is a 47 Ohm (50 on paper) resistor underneath the heat shrink on the Brown wire.

PM me if you need the resistors, I have 49 left over! Because Amazon.

Before the Alternator did not charge at all, the truck ran on only battery power with the "one wire" +pole setup. The battery was slowly draining out as the truck ran.

Right now I have the trickle charger on the battery so that we are full up + when needed to crank. Also note that the MSD is VERY sensitive to power fluctuations! Needs good ground and a solid 12v to run right, even if the starter turns don't assume it is enough for the the MSD. Put power to the MSD on a relay if you can.

Thank You!!!

Last edited by APillow; 07-10-2015 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Originally Posted by APillow
Works!!!

Voltage will fluctuate a little bit so I am hoping the system voltage is being read from the Gray wire and adjusting as needed.

It is tough to see but there is a 47 Ohm (50 on paper) resistor underneath the heat shrink on the Brown wire.

PM me if you need the resistors, I have 49 left over! Because Amazon.

Before the Alternator did not charge at all, the truck ran on only battery power with the "one wire" +pole setup. The battery was slowly draining out as the truck ran.

Right now I have the trickle charger on the battery so that we are full up + when needed to crank. Also note that the MSD is VERY sensitive to power fluctuations! Needs good ground and a solid 12v to run right, even if the starter turns don't assume it is enough for the the MSD. Put power to the MSD on a relay if you can.

Thank You!!!
Putting the L and S terminals together like you have is worthless. The idea behind the S terminal is that you wire it to a place where all of the accessories draw their power from. This way the alternator can sense the load and adjust output accordingly.

Andrew
Old 07-16-2015, 08:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Putting the L and S terminals together like you have is worthless. The idea behind the S terminal is that you wire it to a place where all of the accessories draw their power from. This way the alternator can sense the load and adjust output accordingly.

Andrew
I agree with you 100% the S wire should go to the point where most of the accessories draw their power, like the fuse box. The voltage regulator inside the alternator will adjust the output to keep the voltage there constant. Like someone else said do not connect the voltage sense wire (S) to the battery.

I struggled a bit on where to tap the L wire. It needs to be switched with the key, but no reason they both can't be connected to switched wire in the fuse box.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:42 AM
On The Tree

Agreed! And it is is. The picture just makes it hard to show.

The yellow wire is from the switched ignition off the factory fuse box. Not bad for original 1971 coloring! Reused the +12v from the old electric choke.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:40 AM
TECH Regular

Andrew
So if main ignition/accessory power feed is pulled from the battery?

How does the alternator behave without the S terminal connected, while running 5 volts to the L terminal only??
Old 08-05-2015, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

If S is disconnected the Alt will go into a steady state "load"/duty cycle that is not dependent on fuse box feedback voltage.

You can run the Alt w/o the S wire connected just fine. But I cannot remember the fixed output voltage that you will get.

It is better to run the S wire if you are able. Shoot mine worked out fine using the same input wire off the fuse box.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Originally Posted by VLS1
So if main ignition/accessory power feed is pulled from the battery?

How does the alternator behave without the S terminal connected, while running 5 volts to the L terminal only??
I have my S terminal wired essentially to the battery, because that is where most everything gets its power. Other people have a main power distribution bar and they wire the S terminal there.

As I recall, without the S terminal wired, the alternator will putt out a steady 13.7 volts. However, once more load is added, the output will drop. This is exactly what happens in my GTO swap, as it does not have the S terminal wired. When the coolant fans kick on, there is about a .5v drop. When the turn signals are on, you can see the needle on the volt meter bouncing to the rhythm of the blinkers.

On my Cougar swap, I have the S terminal wired to the battery (essentially) and it does not behave the same way. Voltage is steady when the fan kicks on, but then again my fan is PWM controlled so I do not have a large amp spike.

Wiring the S terminal is easy and there is no reason not to do it. No downside.

Andrew
Old 08-07-2015, 06:06 AM
TECH Regular

I have my S terminal wired essentially to the battery, because that is where most everything gets its power. Other people have a main power distribution bar and they wire the S terminal there.

As I recall, without the S terminal wired, the alternator will putt out a steady 13.7 volts. However, once more load is added, the output will drop. This is exactly what happens in my GTO swap, as it does not have the S terminal wired. When the coolant fans kick on, there is about a .5v drop. When the turn signals are on, you can see the needle on the volt meter bouncing to the rhythm of the blinkers.

On my Cougar swap, I have the S terminal wired to the battery (essentially) and it does not behave the same way. Voltage is steady when the fan kicks on, but then again my fan is PWM controlled so I do not have a large amp spike.

Wiring the S terminal is easy and there is no reason not to do it. No downside.

Andrew
So with the way I have wired my car I should be able to run a wire from the S terminal onto the alternator main output/battery terminal (which runs parallel with the battery lead to the battery) to achieve the same thing?
Old 08-07-2015, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

the S wire should go to the point where most of the accessories draw their power, like the fuse box. The voltage regulator inside the alternator will adjust the output to keep the voltage there constant. Like someone else said do not connect the voltage sense wire (S) to the battery.
this.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:57 PM
TECH Regular

On a car where the fuel pump and cooling fans are the main electrical loads in the wiring, can't see it mattering a great deal.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by VLS1
On a car where the fuel pump and cooling fans are the main electrical loads in the wiring, can't see it mattering a great deal.
Well if it is a track car then it wont really matter.

For a streeter, I would wire it properly. Radio, headlights, and such do take a draw.

Quick Reply: Ls alternator wiring