Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Harder Nitrous Launches Coming Soon.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 05:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 123 Likes on 110 Posts

Steve....who "needs" a track to "test" ???
Old 12-11-2013, 07:51 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by newschool72
So 9 what? Are you expecting to just clip a 9 ,or down in there?
Anything with a 9 in the front would float my boat.

Originally Posted by windmill
speed how far u from Alabama line,,, Montgomery racetrack is having the hangover drag race the 28 and 29 of this month
Oh, it would be just a short 10 hour drive for me.

Originally Posted by Doug G
Steve....who "needs" a track to "test" ???
Road test!
Old 12-12-2013, 08:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed for weekend results. Good luck man.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:20 PM
Old School Heavy

The transmission arrived today as promised, but I got hosed by UPS on the converter. The UPS website said it went out for delivery today, but it never showed. Now the status has been updated to expected delivery Monday.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger
The transmission arrived today as promised, but I got hosed by UPS on the converter. The UPS website said it went out for delivery today, but it never showed. Now the status has been updated to expected delivery Monday.
Love it, when they do that
Old 12-14-2013, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Im just amazed that Lonnie got your trans to you on time!! LOL. He is the best at what he does, but his time management sometimes gets a little out of wack.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:34 AM
Old School Heavy

Im just amazed that Lonnie got your trans to you on time!! LOL. He is the best at what he does, but his time management sometimes gets a little out of wack.
I was very impressed at how quickly he turned it around. And his new staff member Tammy did a great job at communicating. It was a far superior experience compared to the initial order. I am very glad he has things flowing. I am eager to test this thing out!
Old 12-14-2013, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's great to hear. Its hard to recommend someone all the time that gets bad reviews on time lines. I have pushed a lot of potential customers his way, but have always told them to be patient because it might take a while. Im sure you will be very happy with it. On mine ,I had to rig an overflow can because it blows fluid out the overflow at the top of the trans. I like to keep mine a quart or so over full, to help keep the fluid at the pickup under hard acceleration . Im also using one of Lonnies sheet aluminum pans with the big bottom feeder filter. These are all tricks I picked up doing research on the 2004Rs. With the standard filter and pan, especially if the fluid level is at normal level, you can get fluid pressure drops on hard acceleration . Do that too many times and it can cause clutch and band damage and slip.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:39 PM
Old School Heavy

That's great to hear. Its hard to recommend someone all the time that gets bad reviews on time lines. I have pushed a lot of potential customers his way, but have always told them to be patient because it might take a while. Im sure you will be very happy with it. On mine ,I had to rig an overflow can because it blows fluid out the overflow at the top of the trans. I like to keep mine a quart or so over full, to help keep the fluid at the pickup under hard acceleration . Im also using one of Lonnies sheet aluminum pans with the big bottom feeder filter. These are all tricks I picked up doing research on the 2004Rs. With the standard filter and pan, especially if the fluid level is at normal level, you can get fluid pressure drops on hard acceleration . Do that too many times and it can cause clutch and band damage and slip.
It is interesting that you say that. He never recommended an aftermarket pan to me or even mentioned it. I will tell you that if this thing blows fluid out the vent, I will be an unhappy camper. My old trans never did that.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 123 Likes on 110 Posts

S.O.B. ....frickin' UPS

I feel your pain.....time for another beer......and Oh Yeah.....SNOWING AGAIN !
Old 12-14-2013, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is interesting that you say that. He never recommended an aftermarket pan to me or even mentioned it. I will tell you that if this thing blows fluid out the vent, I will be an unhappy camper. My old trans never did that.
He didn't recommend one for me either, but when I talked to him about his thoughts on it, he said the factory setup can starve the trans, but 99% of his 2004rs leave with the factory pan. When I talked to him about running the trans a quart over, he said its a good idea, but the trans would probably blow the extra out the vent tube. Because I wanted the extra protection of the extra quart, I ran a simple rubber hose from the vent tube to an overflow bottle I mounted low on the firewall. Its very easy to stick the hose on the tube while its on the jack, a major pain to do if the trans is in place. Just a suggestion, if you want the extra protection without the embarrassing mess at the local drag strip.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:19 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't run a 200R4 since 2003.It was in a GN that ran 10.3s with 60' times in the 1.4s,with a transbrake.We ran the trannys at stock fluid levels.To stop the filter from sucking air on a hard leave we would silicone the top sealing edge of the filter.I guess over filling the trans to keep the filter submerged is doing the same thing.I don't see any big advantage to running a deeper pan,unless the filter was extended.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 396375
I haven't run a 200R4 since 2003.It was in a GN that ran 10.3s with 60' times in the 1.4s,with a transbrake.We ran the trannys at stock fluid levels.To stop the filter from sucking air on a hard leave we would silicone the top sealing edge of the filter.I guess over filling the trans to keep the filter submerged is doing the same thing.I don't see any big advantage to running a deeper pan,unless the filter was extended.
Yea, the deep pan requires an extended filter to sump at the bottom of the pan. My filter is a open design that sits at the rear most section of the pan, right on the bottom. My pan is considered the shallow sheet aluminum pan, but holds an extra 2-3 quarts. It sits higher than my headers, so ground clearance is great. They also make a deeper stainless pan that holds an extra 5 quarts, but it is over 5" deep and wont workout well with a lowered car like mine. The extra fluid helps a bunch with cooling the trans, that's the #1 killer of the small cased 2004R. A big cooler also helps with extra fluid capacity and of course, the bigger cooler design helps with radiator effect cooling. None of these things are required, but every little bit helps to make the 2004R survive behind these modern high HP power plants.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:20 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Running a deeper pan will not help with an overheating problem.The extra fluid capacity only delays the heating of the fluid.If your trans overheats then get a bigger cooler.Getting the cooler in line with direct air flow is critical.Adding a puller fan to the cooler on a fast transbrake car makes a big difference on the line.
Ken Seggie
National Performance
8.74 @ 158
Old 12-15-2013, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 396375
Running a deeper pan will not help with an overheating problem.The extra fluid capacity only delays the heating of the fluid.If your trans overheats then get a bigger cooler.Getting the cooler in line with direct air flow is critical.Adding a puller fan to the cooler on a fast transbrake car makes a big difference on the line.
Ken Seggie
National Performance
8.74 @ 158
So by delaying the heat, you give your cooler more time to cool the fluid. Its used all the time in race environments with oil and trans pans. The more fluid you have , the more area you have to dissipate the heat. I have 2 cooler in series in front of my radiator with dual puller fans that will suck a piece of paper against the trans coolers. I also have a temp gauge that stays well below the danger zone all the time. One time it got to 180 and that was right after a run, then straight out in city traffic driving home. As soon as the car got a little wind going, it dropped back down .
Im just sharing some knowledge with Steven that I picked up after pouring over 6 months of research on the Turbo Buick forums and talking to the best guys in the 2004R building business , Lonnie at Extreme and Dave Husik of Turbo Buick.com, and I also bent Jakes ear on the little trans too. Im very happy with the trans Lonnie built for me, as is Steven(SpeedTigger) with his Extreme 2004R.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:04 PM
Old School Heavy

I installed the new front springs today. That was something that I could get done in the mean time. I am curious to see how it sits with these new springs.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

Just recommended extreme automatic to a friend who bought the 200r4 stg 2 because of how well your car has done with it. If I switch my ta from six speed it will be the 200.

In for results
Old 12-15-2013, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I installed the new front springs today. That was something that I could get done in the mean time. I am curious to see how it sits with these new springs.
I wonder how much they will settle over time. My trick springs might have lost 1/2" total, probably less. So ,what are you waiting on now? Just the converter?
Old 12-15-2013, 06:49 PM
Old School Heavy

I wonder how much they will settle over time. My trick springs might have lost 1/2" total, probably less. So ,what are you waiting on now? Just the converter?
The Moog springs are know to hold their height. And they are cheaper. We will see.

Only part I need is the converter. I also have to refill my 75/25 for the welder. The upper mounts for the anti-roll bar are going to need to be welded.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wore my little wire welder out. Maybe Santa will bring me one. I doubt it though. I have a one way valve for my fuel line and a prop valve for the rear brakes at the top of the list and I doubt the money will go further down than that, LOL. The kids are covered though and that's what its really about anyway.

Quick Reply: Harder Nitrous Launches Coming Soon.